More questions!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More questions!

I think I got UED working well enough to mess around - learning is fun!

How do I make a static mesh smaller? Like, let's say I want to make catwalk mesh half the size it is, how would I go about it?

Also, UED crashes whenever I attempt to open Alien Swarm maps, does anyone know how to correct the problem?

Thanks.

You can use the scaling tool to change the size of meshes, or you can go into the properties, to the display section and set the individual x,y,z scaling by precise numbers.

UED is probably crashing because you aren't using AlienSwarmEd.exe
    It's not my fault everything you like is terrible.

Comment

Easy way to scale mesh:

In UED, in the bottom right there are three boxes that read 1.00000 or so. These are the X/Y/Z size of the mesh you have currently selected. You don't need to use a scaling tool or go into the mesh properties, just use those lil boxes.

And I used to use AlienSwarmEd.exe but I started getting some weird things happening like it was rebuilding the default maps or something, so I use a shortcut with -mod=alienswarm or whatever the line is ... not sure if this is any different, but I haven't gotten those weird recompiling map things in the log ...
      "Crack the panel!"
      "Once upon a happenstance, I did myself connect to a game-hosting combobulation."

Comment

Does anyone know of a way to organize static meshes and textures?

99% of my time is spent sifting through the packages looking for something I need. You would think the people who created these packages could have done a better job of organizing things, as I'm finding weapon textures in with wall textures and Leviathan meshes in with pipe meshes, made all the more strange by the fact the package titles almost never represent what they actually contain.

My kingdom for a search feature!

Ugh!

Comment

BAH. I HATE YOU ALL! why couldn't you have told me that (even though i didn't ask)! i spent so much time scaling things.....

epic needs to group all the static meshes into a few packages. like Walls.umx and then subgroups. Pipes.umx, Rocks.umx

or someone could make a searchable database online... i can never find things i need and it's too time costing to open up maps (after figuring out which map it is) to find one static mesh....

Comment

Originally posted by Thalaxasis
            Does anyone know of a way to organize static meshes and textures?

Ugh!
            I started an excel spreadsheet to keep track of useful meshes and textures. I just loaded up a bunch of levels in the editor, clicked on things I thought were cool, then added their names to a category like "Wall Trim", "Pipes", "Room Decoration", ...

Take a look at these pages too:

http://wiki.beyondunreal.com/wiki/Texture_Package
            http://wiki.beyondunreal.com/wiki/Static_Mesh_Package
            http://wiki.beyondunreal.com/wiki/Mesh_Browser_Project

-Lorn

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Powers
              or someone could make a searchable database online... i can never find things i need and it's too time costing to open up maps (after figuring out which map it is) to find one static mesh....
              Yeah I've thought of that too, but I can't make webpages that well yet ... Need a complete database that's searchable with screenshots and everything for textures, meshes, and sounds (of course no sound screenshots, LOL). Then there should be another list of various meshes and textures commonly used for themes and mods etc. so people could look up say ... "Rusted" and find a ton of rusted textures and meshes that have rusted textures as a default skin ... (same for forest, egyptian, gen mo'kai, etc.)

That would REALLY help .. so anyone with the skills I URGE you to do it or at least start it up
              :0)
              "Crack the panel!"
              "Once upon a happenstance, I did myself connect to a game-hosting combobulation."

Comment

BAH. I HATE YOU ALL! why couldn't you have told me that (even though i didn't ask)! i spent so much time scaling things.....
                haha. you could have asked me.

epic needs to group all the static meshes into a few packages. like Walls.umx and then subgroups. Pipes.umx, Rocks.umx
                yeah, i totally agree. Epic needs to organize all static meshes as .umx files so we can play them in the old UT2003 music player.

"Tyler sold his soap to department stores at $20 a bar. Lord knows what they charged. It was beautiful. We were selling rich women their own fat asses back to them."

Comment

Of course, now would be a REALLY BAD time to reorganize meshes, because any previously made maps would have to search through endless files to find what they were looking for ...

We'll have to wait for Generation 3 of the Unreal Engine to see if they solved all our nightmares. (Editor bugs, Package mayhem, mods destroying installations of the game, etc)
                  "Crack the panel!"

Comment

haha. you're hilarious. a UEd revision that doesn't crash? An organized File system? muahahahaha.

Comment

umx static meshes? muahahahaha
                      "Tyler sold his soap to department stores at $20 a bar. Lord knows what they charged. It was beautiful. We were selling rich women their own fat asses back to them."

Comment

The problem with that is Epic doesn't have one person making all the meshes and doing all the maps, they need to make seperate packages, just like us...
                        It's not my fault everything you like is terrible.

Comment

i know, but if they could even let you browse all the packages by group. so you can browse the "walls" group of every package you have loaded all together.

i found a nice tool, though, it lets you search a database by partial name, and it has previews, too.

Comment

http://wiki.beyondunreal.com/wiki/Mesh_Browser_Project

i see that it was actually linked to above.

Comment

way to double post, goon

Comment

Working...
                              X