AO-CleanupBeta1 needs testing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AO-CleanupBeta1 needs testing

The map is done, scroll down for download link!

My map is slowly approching the state where it might be considered done, so I though I'd try and get some feedback and bug reports and stuff.

Screenies:

Scroll down for download link.

Questions I currently have is,
    -is there too little or too much aliens?
    -is too light/dark in some (or all) areas?
    -is it too easy/hard (I've tested it on Normal)

Let me know what you think.
    smattbac
    Last edited by smattbac; 3 Aug 2004, 02:42 PM. Reason: Map is done!
    Sِren Mattbنck
    My website - The Telic Campaign

Just gave it a quick spin. The most obvious problem I had was not finding enough aliens (literally not enough, couldn't complete the objective). Getting all the required eggs didn't take long, but running five minutes in circles through empty hallways in search for something to kill doesn't make for an interesting game concept IMO.

Architecture and lighting are rock solid pretty, but could stand a tad more contrast and color, maybe the occasional yellow hazard tape or bright blue computer screen light. Had a peek in the editor, and really, there are a LOT of lights, but they are all so similarly configured they almost blend together into one dull ambient soup. Maybe you did it on purpose, but Alien Swarm just LIVES from bright spots and dark corners. Especially the mine area begs for more contrasted lighting.

One one or two occasions the concrete floor and metal floor tiles crash without being aligned properly.

Bots navigate the air ducts rather poorly and you easily get stuck at the entries. Had the same problem in my map, just make the entries about 160 units high or more. If you want it to look smaller, place a non-solid actor overhead.

By the way, does the weapon detector at the beginning do anything apart from buzzing? Else you could just scrap the rooms to get around it.

Comment

re weapons detecter u could set up auto guns to fire on anything breaching it ,also just played it a few times afew more aliens required not enough to go around i like it though good map cheers i dont think you need more lighting put more flares around players then can deciide if it it to dark and use them .
      reemulmyu
      Last edited by reemulmyu; 1 Aug 2004, 10:29 AM. Reason: moreinfo
      also known as mega ,On the internet, everyone can hear you scream - it's just that no-one cares.except moses{also been known to use rapidfire}was also here before fuzzy and moses

Comment

hey im trying your server and its a REALY Long loud !
        i know how to fix that. Make the map smaller by making Zones !!! it workes whit my map !!
        or just send it to me :p [email protected]
        the WU empire wil crush SHU and WEI
        and then the world wil END, and it will all be under my command,.... whuahahahahaha

Comment

Map updated. I removed the kill x aliens objective, since after some thought it's pretty useless in a way.

The weapon detector was just for fun, but now it spawns an alien evertime you cross it.

Also added some more aliens and some other small things plus I made the mine a bit darker . I'll work more on the lighting later though.

Thanks for the feedback.

Scroll down for download link..
          smattbac
          Last edited by smattbac; 3 Aug 2004, 02:38 PM.
          Sِren Mattbنck

Comment

Cool map, the beta2 is a big improvement to gameplay with increased alien spawns and more subtle lighting. We had a lot of fun playing it. I would still make it a bit more difficult but well, that's just my taste .

As for bugs: There are a couple of areas in the mine where you can fall though the terrain. And a nasty parasite likes to get stuck under the table in one of the rooms. You may also want to set the tech marine requirement, so the mission displays the "failed" message if all the techies die and there are no hack tools.

Nice map smatty
            --

Comment

Ill hunt the bugs when i have time... Been bit busy with the releace map bugs...

Comment

It's done!

Thanks to everyone who tested and gave feedback, appreciate it.

Get the final version at my site.
                Sِren Mattbنck

Comment

Karttasi on Isنnmaan ylpeys!

Game Over, man.
                  Ah, to be a hero. Keeping such company...

Comment

Originally posted by DeepQantas
                    Karttasi on Isنnmaan ylpeys!

Game Over, man.
                    Aaamen.

Comment

Cleanup is definitely one of my favourites. All of it looks amazing: the lighting, meshes, textures… It’s quite huge and hard to beat, at least without sacrificing anyone. Gameplay is very fun too. Come to think of it, I really need to play this map more, trying different tactics out. I think i mostly did betas so far.

I am obviously very thankfull to BCG for all the fun I’m having, but also to everyone who is adding to it. \o/
                      Very good work smattbac!

Comment

Originally posted by smattbac
                        It's done!

Thanks to everyone who tested and gave feedback, appreciate it.

Get the final version at my site.
                        Smatty: last time I checked this version still had a few issues with the mine terrain. Is that sorted? (Would love to get it installed in the MPUK servers).

--

Comment

No, it's not sorted. I thought as they don't make the map unplayable I'd let it be. However, would the map be on those servers if I fixed those things?
                          Sِren Mattbنck

Comment

Originally posted by smattbac
                            No, it's not sorted. I thought as they don't make the map unplayable I'd let it be. However, would the map be on those servers if I fixed those things?
                            Well, the map would be on the servers anyway. I just didn't want to send it until it is in the final version to avoid having several instances of the same map.

I thought a few blocking volumes around the mine bar would be enough to keep nosey marines from falling throught the terrain or finding the edges.. The current problems don't make the map unplayable, but they damage the image of such a quality map as this one. I hope you haven't given up on it just yet .
                            --

Comment

its looking awesome mucho kudos to you smattbac
                              also known as mega ,On the internet, everyone can hear you scream - it's just that no-one cares.except moses{also been known to use rapidfire}was also here before fuzzy and moses

Comment

Working...
                              X