AO-Aqueduct

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AO-Aqueduct

Like a lot of people seem to be doing these days, I've started a map for AS. I have no map credits to my name although I've dabbled in game content creation since Q3 - mostly with game characters. I completed the 3DBuzz VTM - Level Editing 101 about a week ago - so that is where I'm at - pretty much a noob.

So here is my idea - it is pretty loose at the moment.
    The marines are sent to a facility that is suspected to be the access point the aliens are using to gain entry into the compound from their tunnels beneath the surface.
    Objective: hunt down connecting tunnel to the alien caverns, place thermal charges, and get back to the entry before detonation.

I've started work on the map, although currently I'm still exploring how everything works in AS.

I took some shots, mainly to test some lighting and get some feedback. I thought it may be just a little too bright in some spots, but I wanted to see what you guys thought. It seems that the lighting in-game comes out a tiny bit brighter than what is shown in UED.

Here are the shots:
    shot 0
    shot 1
    shot 2
    shot 3
    shot 4
    shot 5

-Sniper 1
    Last edited by Sniper 1; 18 Aug 2004, 01:38 PM.

i see olot of dark spots ! try to Make it a litle Brighter but thats only my opinion
    good idea for ya map olso
    the WU empire wil crush SHU and WEI
    and then the world wil END, and it will all be under my command,.... whuahahahahaha

Comment

Looks good so far Sniper, as far as being too dark I think I'll reserve judgement till I see what the mood and pace of the map is first. I can see making portions of a map darker in order to slow down a team and make them more cautious.
      Telic Corporation

Comment

I spent about an hour last night working out the entrance to the map. The lighting in these shots is only temporary, but I was trying to at least get the level right. I plan on adding headlights to the Bulldog (the vehicle busting through the wall) that will shine across the room.

Thanks for the feedback, mek and dynasty. I'm still experimenting with the lighting - I must have an exceptionally bright monitor at home because things look great there, but when I view these shots at work I can't see anything but the searchlights and the menu text. I am curious about what everyone else sees. I'm trying to get the lighting consistent with the official maps.

shot 6
        shot 7
        shot 8
        shot 9
        shot 10

So here is the story so far. The aliens tunneled into the building (still not sure what the function of this building was), and it was overrun. In a last ditch effort to stave off the swarm the building was evacuated, sealed off and the power was cut.

My first objective was going to be to find a way into the building through a duct or vent - then I read that this was the first objective in AO-Paracelsus (I haven't played it yet) so that went out the window.

So instead of the marines looking for a way in, I just smashed the Bulldog through a wall and they're in.

Objective 1: restore power so that the doors, lights, and computer terminals will function.

Objective 2: locate the engineering room and download blueprint of building - this will give the location of the alien tunnels. (requires tech marine)

Objective 3: find the alien tunnels, place the charges, get back to the Bulldog before the timer runs out.

Comment

I love the darkeness! Its gonna create that scary paranoid feeling of where is it? where's it coming from? I love the idea. I've got the same sorta thing running through mine, very little lighting, lots of suprises (MC HAMMER ATTACKS![j/k]).

Keep doing it your way, tell me when you get a beta running, i have to play it!

Comment

Originally posted by Sniper 1
            I spent about an hour last night working out the entrance to the map. The lighting in these shots is only temporary, but I was trying to at least get the level right. I plan on adding headlights to the Bulldog (the vehicle busting through the wall) that will shine across the room.

Thanks for the feedback, mek and dynasty. I'm still experimenting with the lighting - I must have an exceptionally bright monitor at home because things look great there, but when I view these shots at work I can't see anything but the searchlights and the menu text. I am curious about what everyone else sees. I'm trying to get the lighting consistent with the official maps.

shot 6
            shot 7
            shot 8
            shot 9
            shot 10

So here is the story so far. The aliens tunneled into the building (still not sure what the function of this building was), and it was overrun. In a last ditch effort to stave off the swarm the building was evacuated, sealed off and the power was cut.

My first objective was going to be to find a way into the building through a duct or vent - then I read that this was the first objective in AO-Paracelsus (I haven't played it yet) so that went out the window.

So instead of the marines looking for a way in, I just smashed the Bulldog through a wall and they're in.

Objective 1: restore power so that the doors, lights, and computer terminals will function.

Objective 2: locate the engineering room and download blueprint of building - this will give the location of the alien tunnels. (requires tech marine)

Objective 3: find the alien tunnels, place the charges, get back to the Bulldog before the timer runs out.
            Thats sound like mine Your's will play out differently i think, cus of the setting. Wouldn't worry about the vent tunnel idea for entering, you could have it as a maze thing running, and Paracele's starts with a tank driven through a wall anyway. You've only got a limited number of ways to do things anyway so i wouldn't worry about it.

Actualy its really cool that it is, cus we can compare the two and look at which elements in the maps work best and what we can ignore, helping to create the ultimate map. For example, i love darkness and suprises and 'old school' horror. Also i love fast action and claustraphobia. So you can guess what i'm aiming for.

Comment

Very nice. A tad dark, but very nice. Nice objectives too, can't wait to test/play it.

Try using Photoshop to touch the end results of the screenshots up so we can see a little better. How long is the level, and how long will people have to get back? There's one map I remember watching where these guys had like one minute thirty to get from one end of the map to the other. I think it was AO-ReactorCore.

Comment

I've been plugging away on this map, and I have made some significant changes since the last time I posted here. I've changed the objectives somewhat because they were just too similar to Paracelus. I also changed the name to match the new theme.

AO-Aqueduct
                here is basic theme: the water treatment facility was abandoned and is no longer functioning - Enter the facility and return to operational status.

1. Turn on the power to operate doors and lights.

2. Turn on the main water pump.

3. Return to the Bulldog.

Comment

Objective 1

Synopsis:
                  The map begins with marines standing outside the Bulldog, which has just crashed through a wall in the Water Treatment Facility. The marines should be located somewhere in the power section of the building. The lights are out. completely - and it is dark. Using flares the marines must find the breaker box to turn on the main power. This will cause the lights to come back on and the door to the rest of the facility to open. sounds easy enough - watch out for bugs though!

overall status: 60%

texturing - 90%
                  static meshes - 80%
                  (having trouble with static mesh lights - I don't want them to look lit until after the power is turned on - not sure how to accomplish this) I will post a screenshot of what I mean.

breaker box console to turn on triggered lights - DONE
                  info terminals to provide system status - 50%
                  (I would like for these terminals to provide different information based on whether the power is turned on or not - Is that possible?)

Door to main facility - 0%
                  Objective complete coding - 0%
                  Required items(flares and welder) coding - 0%

I'm going to use this thread to track my status and any problems I have - feel free to post suggestions and help.
                  thanks

Comment

I really like the darkness too. As long as your enemies and surroundings aren’t completely invisible I think the dark areas could be a refreshing and scary experience. Shots look very cool, the kind of map to play at night with all lights turned off. It looks like you got a good amber glow and dramatic shadows. But as mentioned, It’s hard to tell before trying it out. Keep up the good work Sniper 1!

Comment

wheeee, more progress:
                      this time I have some screenies to show.
                      I will try to explain whats going on

Heres some shots before the power is turned on. the entrance, just to the left of the bulldog, and as you can see it is pretty much pitch black except for the flares.

Here you can see the power breaker box on the left side of the screen.

Here is the same corridor as before with the lights turned on. And some other shots of the power facility.

This is the stairway to the pump station - not to be confused with the stairway to heaven. Here's another shot of said stairway. Seems a bit too dark at the bottom of the stairs - I think the lights are up too high in this section of the map.

The last two shots are of the water treatment facility. The lighting is a bit too dark to really see what is going on here, but this area is still a bit rough. There are three big tubes two of which can be seen to the left of Ms. Cat. The idea is that the marines will have to open the tubes, traverse into the depths, repair a leak, and then exit and fill up the tubes to return the facility to operation.

ok, I'm tired now...
                      Last edited by Sniper 1; 19 Aug 2004, 07:25 PM.

Comment

Those shots look great. I'm liking the darkness too, I want a map where flares are vital to see with, not just something that give autoaim.

Comment

Thanks Carth, glad you like it. The first objective of the map (turning the power on) will have to be completed in complete darkness with the help of flares. I am trying to make it difficult while still being fun and challenging.

As promised here are some better shots of the Water Tube area:

Jaeger and Faith find the tubes.
                          http://www.littleadventures.us/misc/Shot024.jpg

Flynn starts the hack to open the tubes.
                          http://www.littleadventures.us/misc/Shot025.jpg

Open sesame!
                          http://www.littleadventures.us/misc/Shot026.jpg

Faith prepares to enter the tube.
                          http://www.littleadventures.us/misc/Shot027.jpg

As far as status goes - I'm probably 75% done with the general architecture and layout of the map. I have only the exit area and a couple non-objective areas to complete. Then I will have to finish the gameplay (stuff like making sure all the triggers work etc) - polish the lighting and any additional static mesh placement.
                          Last edited by Sniper 1; 27 Sep 2004, 03:54 PM.

Comment

There Sniper 1, I renamed the thread from AO-Demolition to AO-Aqueduct, as you requested.

Comment

I'm not dead yet!

Just wanted to post a few more shots in case anyone out there is interested. Progress has been a bit slow because of some real life issues, but I have gotten a little bit done.

stairwell to the roof:
                              Screenshot

water system access
                              Screenshot

traversing the tube - I borrowed the "pop the top" trick from Rehevkor:
                              Screenshot

as always - comments and crits are welcome.
                              Last edited by modetwo; 28 Sep 2004, 12:57 AM. Reason: Use the [screenshot] tag for large images

Comment

Working...
                              X