Choosing corridor wall deco

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Choosing corridor wall deco

How do you map makers chosoe a good looking repeating combo of decos(static meshes)?
    Alien Swarm Map List

They look through the static mesh browser, and select one.

Also, sometimes they might look at static meshes used in other maps and adapt them.

Comment

So its ok to take and modify other peoples wall decos?
      Alien Swarm Map List

Comment

Well the way i see it then mappers want lots of maps out there to download so im sure they wouldnt mind you changing them.
        Your order has been dispatched!

Comment

What Carth mean is, you look at other maps for inspiration and learn how other mappers work. You open maps in Ued, look how the mappers done different things with meshes, bsp, lighting, etc.

Don't directly copy stuff from one map to your own, atleast not visual stuff, it's not nice to the other mapper and you won't learn anything either.

Just browse trough the static mesh packages, pick one or more meshes, place them on the wall and rotate and scale them, change textures, combine them with other meshes.

Experiment.
          Sِren Mattbنck
          My website - The Telic Campaign

Comment

Originally posted by smattbac
            Experiment.
            Best tip evarrrr!!!!!!
            Phalanx Campaign
            Executive CEO of NCM Mining Co. (Corvus Campaign)

Comment

Originally posted by MjrHuRTz

Experiment.
              Best tip evarrrr!!!!!!
              quoted for truth

Comment

Just browse trough the static mesh packages, pick one or more meshes, place them on the wall and rotate and scale them, change textures, combine them with other meshes.
                And remember to make good used of that list!
                The *mean French look* haunts...everywhere.

Look mom, I double A'd Moses -2kmix- heavy

Comment

I am!

What Carth mean is, you look at other maps for inspiration and learn how other mappers work. You open maps in Ued, look how the mappers done different things with meshes, bsp, lighting, etc.

Don't directly copy stuff from one map to your own, atleast not visual stuff, it's not nice to the other mapper and you won't learn anything either.

I tried browsing, but i just couldnt do it, i always look at other maps for inspiration, but i am not good at static meshs from scratch(designing ym own wall look etc), yes, i have taken from other maps, and in 2 cases unmodified, but only because i am incapable, not because i am lazy. Besides its not like i'll ever get a map out... cant get doors to work
                  Alien Swarm Map List

Comment

Originally posted by Ki!ler-Mk1
                    but only because i am incapable, not because i am lazy
                    Everyone is capable of looking through the common static mesh packages and choosing static meshes for their map. It sounds to me like you want a quicker and easier way.

Comment

"The first and last 10% of making a map is fun, the 80% in the middle is hard, boring work."
                      Sِren Mattbنck
                      My website - The Telic Campaign

Comment

No, i repeat, i am not lazy, otherwise i wouldnt be bothing at all would i, i just duno whats right or not, even tho as the maker is my choice

"The first and last 10% of making a map is fun, the 80% in the middle is hard, boring work."
                        I havent found anything boring yet, but then again i dont have anything exept a few actors, brushs, and static meshs. YET
                        Alien Swarm Map List

Comment

Originally posted by Carth
                          Everyone is capable of looking through the common static mesh packages and choosing static meshes for their map.
                          again quoted for truth, theres really no other real way to "choose a good static mesh" its just up to you to browse, and if you see something you like(or even if you dont like it) use it and try it out, beleive me you will never ever be able to do anything unless you give it a go have you actually gone through selected some smeshes and actually tried them out in the level yet?

Comment

Working...
                          X