Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DelXander
    replied
    Well that command would work very well for the rambo challenge.

Originally posted by Carth View Post

Rules
    [...]
    2) You may take another marine and suicide him at the start of the mission if it requires a tech, but you can't use any of their equipment. It is only for if there is a hack tool in the map, or if you can get past an area without hacking.
    I personally don't like taking crash and suiciding him just so that I can do it alone. Thats just me tho.
    What would be interesting would be a "rambo-mode" where you don't have any restrictions. If you can't make it past the hack you'll just restart and take a tech.

Leave a comment:

• lightfoot
    replied
    That's definitely a point.

But I insist, it is still a matter of convention. Consider some hypothetical cases.

Mapper could change the map. Or authorize it being done. Case solved.
    Even if he says 'Yes good Idea, but I don't have the time right now.' Or if we say 'I don't want all that different versions, and mismatches and stuff'

We could then play the map with that workaround without even changing it. If, according to BigD, mappers intention is that crucial, it wouldnt be cheating.

In case the mapper doesn't care at all, or isn't to be found, someone else could do it.

Especially if we all agreed that that's OK.

But I will let it rest now, for a time, if there is no new thoughts or further opinions about it. Think I made it clear at least. No point in pushing that matter further, if there is no consensus to be seen.

Leave a comment:

• BiG_D
    replied
    Definitely cheating. The mapper intended a tech to be required, using a console command to bypass that is the same as editing the map...

Leave a comment:

• lightfoot
    replied
    Ah! Thanx, Salsa, Pest, I just saw you solved this!

Yes, 'set AoMissionObjective bRequiresTechMarine false' works on Barracks, Navigation, Depot and Daylight.

Research and LostContactSE8 need the 'set AoMissionInfo bRequiresTechMarine False' to be started without hacker/tool.

It sets that option to off globally, hm? Nice. I really need to look into mapping...

But it wouldnt be so easy in multiplayer would it?

And, more important, can we all agree about that this is not cheating?

Leave a comment:

• Hybrid
    replied
    Or in the case of AO-Research, and possibly some other silly maps.
    Code:
    set AoMissionInfo bRequiresTechMarine False

Leave a comment:

• Pestcontrol
    replied
    Code:
    set AoMissionObjective bRequiresTechMarine false

Leave a comment:

• Hybrid
    replied
    But of course. Consider the best map in the world to be on it's way. It will, of course, require a tech marine, but have nothing to hack.

Leave a comment:

• Moses2k
    replied
    So, now that you've opened up UED, are you going to make something to share with us, your friends?

Leave a comment:

• Hybrid
    replied
    Originally posted by lightfoot
    2. Those maps could have that certain flag toggled.

Would that be a problem? Much work? I don't know much about mapping, please enlighten me...
    Just wanted to touch on this because nobody else has. The "requires tech marine" setting is a toggle on an objective by objective basis (so if you complete the hack objective and poor Nerd Boy dies, no "Mission failed" popup), set entirely by the mapper's whim. Why, if the mapper were incredibly sadistic, xe could set bRequiresTechMarine to True even if there's nothing to hack in the entire level! The horror! The horror!

It would be a simple matter to track down all the places where this is set to True and change them to False when there's a hack tool in the map, but I believe that would be most impolite to do without the original mapper's consent. Also, it would cause a version mismatch with people that haven't made the change; it would have to be included in an official patch so that everyone is on the same page.

The downside to this is for the newbies. Though they should quickly learn upon playing ReactorCore that techs are generally important for continued success, they might neglect to take Nerd Boy or The Mighty Pirate some mission, not be able to find the hack tool, and summarily indulge in "freaking out".

Leave a comment:

• lightfoot
    replied
    there is a hacktool on Depot, so why not allow the map to be started without bringing yet another one?

Leave a comment:

• Fuzzy Bunny
    replied
    That first hack in depot is optional.

Leave a comment:

• Ki!ler-Mk1
    replied
    Originally posted by lightfoot

On most maps this has been done right, sometimes the hack tool is very hard to get, even. Like, say, in Fetch or Underneath.

Leaves on the List of maps that have this problem: Research, Barracks, Navigation, Depot and Daylight.

Correct me if you find another one pls.
    Correct me if im wrong, but the research thing isnt notice able for first time single player doods, and depot well that door near the hacktool is one way.

Leave a comment:

• Fuzzy Bunny
    replied
    Don't forget Lost Contact! You can skip the second and third hacks and breach the doors instead. SE version only.

Leave a comment:

• lightfoot
    replied
    Just checked that, you are right, sofos. Rescue doesn't need a hack tool to start. And yes you are right, this is how it should be.

On most maps this has been done right, sometimes the hack tool is very hard to get, even. Like, say, in Fetch or Underneath.

Leaves on the List of maps that have this problem: Research, Barracks, Navigation, Depot and Daylight.

Correct me if you find another one pls.

OK, not a really great issue, if it's just those five maps. I still would like to know, would it be a great effort to change that?
    It doesnt seem so, at first thought. But who am I to know.

Leave a comment:

• sofos
    replied
    Well if a door is shootable, why shouldn't somebody try to open it that way? This is why it is shootable . On the other hand you can't really know what the mappers were thinking.
    Also if i remember correctly Rescue doesn't require a tech marine. Actually i think it is a good example of what you are supporting You can shoot the first door and then move further without any problem.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X