This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lone-Wolf
    Trying to expand the V1.1 mac patch, and the Non-Umod, both .rar's, stuffit opens briefly, then pops up this warning:

"An error has occurred while expanding the file "Alien Swarm_v1_non_umod.rar" (Format error).

Error #17540"
    Right click on the archive and under Open With select Stuffit Expander instead of the default helper application.
    Nearly all men can stand adversity -- if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.

Comment

The default helper application is already Stuffit Expander.

Comment

Originally posted by Lone-Wolf
        The default helper application is already Stuffit Expander.
        Sometimes there's an additional helper application that passes the files onto Stuffit Expander -- it's been known to cause issues like that. For the hell of it, trying dragging the files directly onto Stuffit Expander. In the past it's been kinda flaky about how files were opened.

And make sure you have the latest version first.
        Nearly all men can stand adversity -- if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.

Comment

UMOD install using Linux script

I was able to install the UMOD version using this method:

1) Download Alien Swarm v1.1 (umod) and the Mac launcher.
          2) Show Package Contents on Unreal Tournament 2004 and navigate to the System folder therein.
          3) Copy AlienSwarm_v1.ut4mod and as-linux-installer.sh to the System folder in Unreal Tournament 2004.
          4) Now fire up Terminal and type "cd " then drag the Unreal Tournament 2004 System folder onto the Terminal window and hit return (to connect to the System directory in UT2004).
          5) In the Terminal type "./as-linux-installer.sh" (without the quotes of course) to run the linux install script.
          6) Unstuff macswarmlauncher.sit to get Alien Swarm Launcher.
          7) Play!

I found that the launcher didn't work first time. I had to run UT2004 regular, quit, and then it worked. also my mouse button didn't work first time in Alien Swarm. again, 2nd time all was good.

Thanks to "DoctorB" from another mac forum for originally discovering this method.

Comment

Originally posted by ZX81
            I found that the launcher didn't work first time. I had to run UT2004 regular, quit, and then it worked.
            Aye -- it should ask for the location of UT2004 if you've never run it before. It actually gets the location of the application from the ut2004.log file, if it exists.

Thanks to "DoctorB" from another mac forum for originally discovering this method.
            He's not the only one to have tried that -- and certainly not the first -- but I'll not steal his kudoes. ^_^

Comment

Originally posted by WildBill
              Aye -- it should ask for the location of UT2004 if you've never run it before. It actually gets the location of the application from the ut2004.log file, if it exists.
              where is the ut2004.log file? my friend is having no luck with the launcher now.

Originally posted by WildBill
              He's not the only one to have tried that -- and certainly not the first -- but I'll not steal his kudoes. ^_^
              ha. well I just meant that I hadn't realised before reading his post on macaddict, that there was a UNIX executable inside UT2004 that could unpack umods etc.

what I can't understand is, given this fact, why the mac publisher can't make a working umod installer for us.

Comment

where is the ut2004.log file? my friend is having no luck with the launcher now.
                It'll be in ~/Library/Application Support/Unreal Tournament 2004/System/UT2004.log. What problems is he having?

what I can't understand is, given this fact, why the mac publisher can't make a working umod installer for us.
                MacSoft is fairly lame these days. It's a pity.

Comment

will this work with 1.2? i'm kinda confused/lost...

Wait a sec...I thought you said Crash always died O.o....I'm not dead yet

Comment

Hi WildBill, I'll post my info to this thread that you pointed out.

AlienSwarm OS X Launcher download from macologist here. About 50K. This app is easier than an .sh script since it is not path-dependent (it saves the path to UT2004), nor does the user have to enter Terminal. (The .sh might work in the user library app support area, but otherwise needs to be inside the bundle).

I've left the alienswarm launcher unlocked so you can see how it works.

AlienSwarm Full 1.2 .dmg for OS X. Includes packagemaker installer, and launcher. Available here.

_______

comments to the above.

ucc-bin isn't used, ut2004-bin is. But even so the better way is not to call ut2004-bin but to call /Contents/MacOS, which in turn will call ut2004-bin, but will retain everything else, like telling the OS what app is running (necessary for app-specific settings on custom mouse drivers), and displaying the currect icon (UT) in the Dock.

Anyways DocB, who is mentioned above, has helped a lot in these issues, we know each other from MacAddict UT2kN forums, where he did a lot of testing for my mac UT2004 toolpack.

If you want to make your own launcher for other mods, we provide the raw applescript code and instructions for doing so over in the Coding section in our knowledgebase over at Macologist here.

This utility works well with full conversion mod umods, for example we've used it with Air Buccaneers' ut4mod. It should work with Alien Swarm as well, if you choose to use the ut4mod rather than my .pkg + .dmg. You'll still need the AS launcher however, either mine or Wild Bill's.
                    Last edited by Santaduck; 30 Nov 2004, 04:00 PM.

Comment

I just spotted this nifty looking program over at BeyondUnreal.

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macos...dlauncher.html

Apparently a launcher for all UT2004 mods. Anyone care to try it out?
                      Ah, to be a hero. Keeping such company...

Comment

We're gonna try it out over at Macologist - its open source so we may end up canabalizing parts of it for our own uses - but in the mean time this is prolly the best way to get Swarm on a Mac

Installer and launcher app all in one DL, courtesy you're friends @ www.macologist.org

http://www.macologist.org/dload.php?...ile&file_id=94

-Jedi
                        (sorry for the shameless plugs)
                        Last edited by Mac_Jedi; 21 Dec 2005, 11:59 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X