Game keeps crashing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Game keeps crashing

I was able to complete the first level of the tutorial, but now everytime I try to play it crashes. My whole computer restarts - unexpectantly and suddenly. I don't notice any pattern or reason for the crash. I don't see anyone else posting about this problem, or see any help on the website. Anyone have any solution(s)? Thanks in advance.

My specs:

AMD 3.2
    1 Gig RAM
    Radeon 9800 128MB

Hmmm. Maybe your CPU is getting too hot and the motherboard temperature sensors make the computer reboot?
    Orrr. Your windows is malfuctioning. (What a suprise olol )
    Did you do a fresh install of ut2004 + patch or do you have other mods installed as well?
    Does the rebooting happen when playing ut2004 or any other game?

Comment

I have the latest UT2k patch. Playing UT2K, or even the mod Red Orchestra causes no problems at all. It just happens when playing AS. I can't play single player or multi without a crash within 5 mins.

Argh, I want to play too, because I keep hearing good things about this mod.

Comment

Very odd. Did you install the patch (3204) before or after you installed AS?
        Try deleting your AlienSwarm.ini file and restarting AS.

If all else fails, give a full re-install a try. This means,
        Uninstall ut2004, Install ut2004, Install 3204, Install AlienSwarm.

Comment

I installed the patch before playing AS. Tried removing the .ini file, no help. I can't see how reinstalling UT2k4 can help, when it and other mods work fine.

Ugh, I can't be the only person this is happening to... can I?

Comment

Seems like it.

You could try another install of ut2004 along side to see if it changes anything. (If you have another 5GB of space left that is. DAMN YOU EPIC!!1)

Comment

What version of the ATI Catalyst drivers are you running? Do you have VPU recover enabled?
              Nearly all men can stand adversity -- if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.

Comment

I updated to the latest catalyst drivers, hoping that would solve my AS crashing. I don't think there is much of a change in the drivers, though, both being a part of the 4.5 - I think, because I'm at work.

What's VPU recovery? Not knowing what it is, I probably don't. Thanks for replying guys. I'd love to actually play this game.

Comment

When crap like that happens to me it could some of the following:

1. Too much hardware on the same IRQ. Happened to me when I had 5 things on it, everytime the internet was on, it would crahs when I played a game lol.

2. Try ctrl + alt+ delete and close everything you know of that isn't important and run it that way.

3. Try downgrading you catalyst drivers. A lot of games I play screw up with the new ones.

4. Try playing it in safe mode.

5. Disable your virus scanner

6. If you used a U-MoD install try rewriting the files with a .zip

Actually looking into this problem more, ut2004 has problems with the 9800. The thing that fixed it for most people it seems is the following:

Defrag your hard drive.
                  Install catalyst 4.4

Best of luck to you, see if this works. If anything go here and do a search for 9800 problems:

http://www.ataricommunity.com/forums...hp?forumid=258
                  "A True Hero isn't measured by the size of his sword but by the Size of his Heart" - Life Motto

"I'm not a TKer. I'm just an alien in desguise" - AS Motto

Happy Webmaster of The Final Quandary

Comment

Originally posted by PropaGandalf
                    What's VPU recovery? Not knowing what it is, I probably don't. Thanks for replying guys. I'd love to actually play this game.
                    In the Advanced Display Properties, there's a VPU Recover tab. Enabling it should allow the graphics card to recover from any errors it encounters, and provide information about the error. If that's the problem -- doubtful, but possible -- this may help find it.

Also, what soundcard do you have? What version of the drivers?
                    Nearly all men can stand adversity -- if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkBill
                      Also, what soundcard do you have? What version of the drivers?
                      I'm using the onboard sound on a MSI K8T NEO motherboard. I guess I could try updating its sound drivers but they're pretty recent.

Again, I have no problems running UT2K4, or other UT mods. Just AS.

Thanks for replies.

Comment

Originally posted by PropaGandalf
                        I'm using the onboard sound on a MSI K8T NEO motherboard. I guess I could try updating its sound drivers but they're pretty recent.
                        It's worth a try -- sound card drivers are notoriously flaky.

Comment

Woo! I finally figured out what was causing the crash. The audio was set to H/W 3D Audio. I have no idea how it got set to that. If it's from UT2k4, it's certainly not caused any problems with anything else -but AS. Anyways, changing it to just 3D Audio has solved the crash problem.

Maybe this will help someone else who might encounter the same problem. Thanks to all the replies!

Now I can actually play AS.

Comment

Well, i'm new here But, I have the same problem!!!!! I have a Geforce 3 ti5000 and plenty of space!! But I have the same problems, I had it already on the 3D Audio before I had the problem! I tried the Safe Mode, didn't work, What on earth could it be!!!

(Added Note) I fount out about this awsome mod so I installed UT2004, then installed the Patch (the newest one) Then installed this mod, U-mod installation version, then installed the patch, got my controls made, and played (Great damn mod by the way) , and after every couple of mins it crashes!!!

Comment

I think these must be system related not AS. Played loads myself with a good number of friends and not had a single crash. As already mentioned, Overclocking, GFX card drivers, Sound card Drivers and even Motherboard / IDE drivers could be an issue.
                              Also check the event log and the crash dump logs they often point out where the issue is. Last thing that springs to mid if its only online play check you firewall.
                              Multiplay Clanservers
                              [email protected]

Comment

Working...
                              X