Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

patch packaging (format)

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • patch packaging (format)

    All though the little install is ok it would be nice if patches where done in umod format so at automatically cross platform.
    Multiplay Clanservers
    [email protected]

  • #2
    Umod doesn't work for every one. So the basic installer is better.

    Comment


    • #3
      Fix you ut install then
      Multiplay Clanservers
      [email protected]

      Comment


      • #4
        Umod doesn't work well on mac and linux, since the ports of ucc-bin are flaky.
        Nearly all men can stand adversity -- if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.

        Comment


        • #5
          Dont know where you got that impression umod support on linux is fine never had any trouble well not since I fixed the support in asu way back in the ut99 days.
          Multiplay Clanservers
          [email protected]

          Comment


          • #6
            The other thing is then people dont have to mirror multiple versions.
            Multiplay Clanservers
            [email protected]

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Killing
              Dont know where you got that impression umod support on linux is fine never had any trouble well not since I fixed the support in asu way back in the ut99 days.
              Perhaps under linux it's fine, although I've heard of several issues with it. The mac version of ucc-bin has several serious issues, however. Hence why Alien Swarm is offered both as a umod file and a normal compressed archive. Finding mirrors has not been a problem.
              Nearly all men can stand adversity -- if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.

              Comment


              • #8
                Yer the initial version was great umod + zip just incase but exe installers are a pain imo as we are a linux house really and umod and zip both work where as exe is a no go.
                Multiplay Clanservers
                [email protected]

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Killing
                  Yer the initial version was great umod + zip just incase but exe installers are a pain imo as we are a linux house really and umod and zip both work where as exe is a no go.
                  I fail to see the problem with simply using the linux/mac patch then.
                  Nearly all men can stand adversity -- if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I doesnt remove unrequired files ( the .utx in Sounds dir ) or make any ini modifications that might have been needed.
                    Now as I know this sort of stuff inside out we can manage but its not the same for all users.

                    Are epic aware on mac specific issues with umod? There's currently a new patch in beta so if you know any details let us know.
                    Multiplay Clanservers
                    [email protected]

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Killing
                      I doesnt remove unrequired files ( the .utx in Sounds dir ) or make any ini modifications that might have been needed.
                      Now as I know this sort of stuff inside out we can manage but its not the same for all users.
                      That's why there's a readme file.

                      Originally posted by Killing
                      Are epic aware on mac specific issues with umod? There's currently a new patch in beta so if you know any details let us know.
                      I haven't had time to isolate and report the problems yet.
                      Nearly all men can stand adversity -- if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        hehe I think we are arging round in circles. Umod works fine for windows so use. Its often the case that the peoples whos installs dont work with umod are shall we say less than official installs Using it benifits all the other platforms that can use it instead of having to do things manually which will often lead to issues.
                        Multiplay Clanservers
                        [email protected]

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Killing
                          hehe I think we are arging round in circles. Umod works fine for windows so use. Its often the case that the peoples whos installs dont work with umod are shall we say less than official installs Using it benifits all the other platforms that can use it instead of having to do things manually which will often lead to issues.
                          Umods also don't have the capability needed for patching, as I understand it. That's why the patches are being distributed as either a binary installer, or a manually installed archive.
                          Nearly all men can stand adversity -- if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I've always found them quite capable what would you say is missing.
                            Multiplay Clanservers
                            [email protected]

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Umod isn't able to take, say, the 4 existing ini files a person has and merge them together into one. If the patch was an UMOD everyone would have lost their campaign info.
                              Immortius' Forge

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X