My computer is completely destroyed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My computer is completely destroyed

Destroyed is a kind word to what this wonderful programming has done. You see, I'm not on that PC anymore, it is gone, as in no programs, no files, no OS. I have seen nicer viruses than what this has done.

After ctd, my program files were non-existant, pop-ups labeling corrupt files started to appear, the OK button wasn't enough to stop them. Each file was a brand new corrupt one.

I'm not going to ask what to do, there is no level of tech support offered that can solve the problems this mod has caused. Short of a time machine to prevent this mod from being concieved, I feel that it should be a warning to those that do not wish to chance it at losing EVERYTHING on their PC.

Excuse me, but that can't be Alien Swarm's fault. We've had thousands of downloads, and not even one single person have mentioned this.

You must have done something else. Sounds more like a virus if you ask me.

What OS were you running? What security updates did you have? Firewall? AV? Ad-aware?

Comment

That's unfortunate Burrito - but blaming a mod written in Unrealscript is a little unfair. Unrealscript can't even save files to the hard disk (apart from saving variables into ini files in the System folder), let alone delete or destroy anything.

Randomly corrupted files sounds to me like you have a hardware problem. Perhaps you should scan your hard drive for bad sectors.

Comment

Well, I'm running 2kpro, and I've had no problems with viruses, I constantly check for updates.

All I can say to relate is that I've put in hundreds of hours on my PC, running fine and smooth. At the time that I was playing AS it crashed, and then everything went wrong. It was no other program, no virus, nothing else was running, nothing else was happening.

My other lead is that at the exact same time that I was playing, some hardware failure occured, in that case I am also testing my RAM, as this type of error usually leaves RAM suspect.

I'm very lucky that I kept my old OS on my secondary, and am slowly trying to recover, although atm my 250gig is nothing more than a paperweight.

Comment

Really sorry that you're having problems Burrito. But as Dalai said, it can't be Alien Swarm's fault. He also had a good tip about the harddrive, be sure to check it for bad sectors.

Hope you'll solve this, keep us updated. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Burrito
            All I can say to relate is that I've put in hundreds of hours on my PC, running fine and smooth. At the time that I was playing AS it crashed, and then everything went wrong. It was no other program, no virus, nothing else was running, nothing else was happening.
            A serious hardware failure -- for example, your primary hard driving dying -- would likely cause AS and other running programs to crash.
            Nearly all men can stand adversity -- if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.

Comment

Moderators should probably remove, rename, or move this post, it presents a terribly terrible and bleak face of as that is probably wholly unfounded D:

Comment

People will realize, that AS is not the soul cause of his problem. Normally it is other issues that plague a system from going bizerk. It is just the program running that particular time, that gets the soul blame.

Comment

I've etched down to one stick of RAM, and trying to sqeeze by with what I have. (And with what I can use.) Once/If I get into my HD I'll run a few scans to see what the problem is and keep this updated.

After taking a breather, I realized that it probably is hardware because it doesn't even begin to load the OS before going bonko, even though the HD isn't more than a few months old... The Mobo on the other hand, although it's new, has been quite suspect for other problems that I hammered out in the first week.

Cest La Vie

Comment

heh let memtest86 loose on that stick... see if thats it... or any prime generator on a stable cpu should show that the dimms are screwed ;p

Comment

Working...
                    X