Devs: got any optimization tips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Devs: got any optimization tips?

Given the unique gameplay style of Alien Swarm, the typical methods of map optimization involving zone portals and antiportals doesn't seem likely to work as well. I was wondering if the dev team has any Alien Swarm specific optimization tips for us

Also, does the fixed camera viewport automatically occlude everything not in view? This seems like the ideal way to handle optimization since the camera is fixed.

At any rate, I need to get some optimization going before I finish Ao-BugCity. My framerate is hovering just above the minimum playable for me, and it plunges in the big firefights
    My UT2004 maps
    Ao-BugCity

Based on what I think I've seen in the official maps, the normal method of zoning off hallways/rooms/etc. is what you should do, just be sure to zone all the way up into the carved out 'camera room'
    It's not my fault everything you like is terrible.

Comment

the best "optimization" tip i can recommend is to not use any of the following:

-BSP
      -Smeshes
      -Textures
      -Emitters
      -Trig-- as a matter of fact, don't even open UnrealEd. just stop mapping. I want a chance at a piece of the popularity pie around here, and if guys like you keep soaking up my sun, i can't breathe.
      "Tyler sold his soap to department stores at $20 a bar. Lord knows what they charged. It was beautiful. We were selling rich women their own fat asses back to them."

Comment

[bulletproof]

BiG_D: I'm not sure that would work with my map... i cant zone parts of the city because the buildings are free standing in a large subtraction. There's nowhere to put the portals so they'll zone O_o
        My UT2004 maps
        Ao-BugCity

Comment

I'd like to know this too. My map is so laggy it's unplayable, so I zoned it up and it didn't seem to make a difference.

Also, from what I could see Salvage is one huge zone, and it is much bigger and has more aliens than my map... I don't see why my map is so slow.

Comment

Maybe setting your fog to just out of the visible range would help? I believe that things beyond the fog cut-off point don't get rendered so that may work quite well, dependant on how flat the map is.
            Immortius' Forge

Comment

Carth and Rehevkor: are you sure the zone sheet completely overlaps all subtracted BSP? I wouldn't be surprised with myself if i only put zonesheets in the playable area and forgot to extend it to the camera area.
              "Tyler sold his soap to department stores at $20 a bar. Lord knows what they charged. It was beautiful. We were selling rich women their own fat asses back to them."

Comment

UT2k4 surely does view frustum culling, so with the camera pointing straight down, the optimisations from zoning the map will be much less than in normal UT2k4. It'll probably help a bit and with the helmet cam views while spectating. I didn't do any zoning on AO-Observation though and it didn't suffer from it.

You can always use 'stat all' at the console and observe which numbers go high in the low fps areas. Things to watch out for are too many projectors in one place and lots of high poly meshes. Sometimes your fps will be too low if too many different textures are being rendered in one frame (and your video card doesn't have enough memory to hold them all, they'll have to be swapped out of system ram every frame). Also watch out for particle emitters with too many particles.

You should also make sure you don't have aliens constantly tying to path somewhere. If you host a multiplayer game and login as admin, you can type 'AlienDebugInfo' at the console to get a list of which aliens are pathing, which are hibernating and so on. Ideally there should be zero pathing, unless some special event is currently being triggered which is making aliens run to a spot. Make sure they can get there too, otherwise they'll constantly eat up CPU cycles trying to get to the spot.

Comment

I suppose you could also use fog for the big outside rooms so the spectator camera doesn't choke when it's enabled.

That is of course... if that room is more like pancake instead of a skyscraper. You probably don't want that sort of fog in the normal view.

As for the texture memory... I have a video card with 64mb vram. Some maps in UT2004 run smoothly at Normal texture detail, but on the other hand, some go over the memory limit by a few megs. The effect is horrifying.
                  Ah, to be a hero. Keeping such company...

Comment

re fog as a way of zoning

Originally posted by immortius View Post
                    Maybe setting your fog to just out of the visible range would help? I believe that things beyond the fog cut-off point don't get rendered so that may work quite well, dependant on how flat the map is.
                    :can you tell me what the settings would be for fog just outside your vision i tried zone portals it was horrible with weird artifacts showing ,fog seems to work better from a top down perspective .
                    also known as mega ,On the internet, everyone can hear you scream - it's just that no-one cares.except moses{also been known to use rapidfire}was also here before fuzzy and moses

Comment

when will you ever learn?

questions like this are very unlikely to be answered.

too detailed. to special.

very few people even understanding what you talk about. of the few that do, if any, none is willing to answer.

you will have to find out for yourself.

really, only a few people in the world could know the answer. and those people are too busy.

hopefully they are too busy developing games.

and hope is the last to die.

please, those listening, prove me wrong.

Comment

Um, I don't know what the correct fog distance would be, I'ld say just experiment in UED - position the camera at a typical camera height looking down, and then fiddle with the fog radii until it is just out of sight. You'll probably want to have a bit of distance between fog start and end so it doesn't look bad in those cases where players will see it, and the fog should probably be black so that it looks like darkness, although that would depend on the map.
                        Immortius' Forge

Comment

thanks immortius, i have it set for black as per ut2004 vtm on zoning i will experiment with the distance ,so far is looking good ,i am going to change distance to 300.00000 first and will report my best distance to be as i would suspect everymap will be different ,
                          and lightfoot do you have any tips please.i would also like to say if you dont ask how can you find out if not from the people who built the mod
                          also known as mega ,On the internet, everyone can hear you scream - it's just that no-one cares.except moses{also been known to use rapidfire}was also here before fuzzy and moses

Comment

Try copying from aqueduct.
                            Alien Swarm Map List

Comment

don,t need to i have done it and zone portals as well ,

Comment

Working...
                              X