This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

maybe they dont work like the old escape with scientists scenario
    also known as mega ,On the internet, everyone can hear you scream - it's just that no-one cares.except moses{also been known to use rapidfire}was also here before fuzzy and moses

Comment

I suspect that the colonists are/were meant to behave much like we had in the original rescue missions. The code's probably there (partially or as stubs for other coders to fill) where you locate a survivor or two and they tag along. Otherwise, like in L4D it's merely a scripted sequence when you reach what you think is a saferoom only to find out the bastard locked himself in then dies to spawn an enemy of some sort. Could go either way.
      The distance between insanity and genius is measured only by success.

Comment

Originally posted by Vaddam View Post
        They should, wouldn't they want to see more of the Sculptor's creations?...

<SNIP>
        I wasn't directing the comment specifically at you, it was a general observation.

I'm not going to get into argument here but this is exactly my point. Creating an ice sculpture requires wastage, a new sculpture would be made from a new block and create more ice chips. It's part of the creative process, trying to glue those chips into something meaningful is not the same as creating a sculpture.
        One of the three LANers of the Apocalypse!
        -
        The Unforgiven Casual Gaming Group - New Members Welcome

Comment

Originally posted by Chainsaws View Post
          I wasn't directing the comment specifically at you, it was a general observation.

I'm not going to get into argument here but this is exactly my point. Creating an ice sculpture requires wastage, a new sculpture would be made from a new block and create more ice chips. It's part of the creative process, trying to glue those chips into something meaningful is not the same as creating a sculpture.
          And if those chips can be assembled into a new block of ice...?
          Sarge is cool, he kills da aliens and doesn't afraid of anything!
          No seriously. Diss Conrad, and I kick your ass.

Comment

That doesn't even make sense.
            Immortius' Forge

Comment

Originally posted by immortius View Post
              That doesn't even make sense.

Try and think, I know it could be hard.

Comment

I'm afraid you'll have to spell it out for me, because I can't work out how your addition to the metaphor maps back to the topic at hand. The block of ice represented the starting point of construction, and the chips of ice were the discarded fragments generated by the process of creation. How can you take the latter to make the former, and what would that mean?

Arguments via metaphor are prone to these sorts of shenanigans.

At any rate, the point is there is no reason to expect the devs to go back and do further work on these discarded elements. The fact that they are not part of the game shows a conscious decision on their part to exclude them for whatever reason. They may do it if they decide to add an extra campaign using these features, but otherwise I doubt they would - and it is unlikely to happen in the immediate future. So either complete these things yourself - even if it means starting from scratch to make what you need - or else wait and hope they get completed in the future. Either way demanding the completion of these unused elements is outright rude.
                Last edited by immortius; 31 Jul 2010, 03:07 AM.
                Immortius' Forge

Comment

I think the original question was simple enough and hasn't been addressed yet. Are there any plans to incorporate unused game assets and further develop the game other than bug fixes?

Comment

Originally posted by immortius View Post
                    I'm afraid you'll have to spell it out for me, because I can't work out how your addition to the metaphor maps back to the topic at hand. The block of ice represented the starting point of construction, and the chips of ice were the discarded fragments generated by the process of creation. How can you take the latter to make the former, and what would that mean?

Arguments via metaphor are prone to these sorts of shenanigans.

At any rate, the point is there is no reason to expect the devs to go back and do further work on these discarded elements. The fact that they are not part of the game shows a conscious decision on their part to exclude them for whatever reason. They may do it if they decide to add an extra campaign using these features, but otherwise I doubt they would - and it is unlikely to happen in the immediate future. So either complete these things yourself - even if it means starting from scratch to make what you need - or else wait and hope they get completed in the future. Either way demanding the completion of these unused elements is outright rude.
                    Dat is whut I mean. They SHOULD be fixing them, somehow SOMETIME, because they should know modders would eventually find them and they made this game to be modded.

Comment

Dat is whut I mean. They SHOULD be fixing them, somehow SOMETIME, because they should know modders would eventually find them and they made this game to be modded.
                      What do you mean by "SHOULD"? Are you suggesting that the developers have some sort of categorical imperative to keep working on discarded fragments of code etc...?

What if before releasing the game, they went through everything, and cut everything that didn't make it into the game, leaving no "unused ice chips" behind. Would this imperative still exist?
                      “That’s not what justice is,” the colonel jeered, and began pounding the table again with his big fat hand. “That’s what Karl Marx is. I’ll let you know what justice is. Justice is a knee in the gut from the floor.

Comment

What?

Mods are usually made because the coders left their unfinished dream for community to finish. I look at Unfinished code and other items as a calling; While people like you see it as a to do list the Devs MUST finish.
                        "Your going DOWN clOWN" why did someone have to say this. WHY

Comment

Originally posted by DON'T PANIC View Post
                          What do you mean by "SHOULD"? Are you suggesting that the developers have some sort of categorical imperative to keep working on discarded fragments of code etc...?

What if before releasing the game, they went through everything, and cut everything that didn't make it into the game, leaving no "unused ice chips" behind. Would this imperative still exist?
                          If they cut them away, they wouldn't be in the code and broken for us to find and be excited about and ask them to fix it.

Comment

Really?

Did you look at the Kotor2 deal? They were not gona fix the extra stuff they cut. They left it in the PC version with the possibility that modders would finish it.

I'm sure they are passionate about their work even if it is a Star wars money making machine.

If you release a game and your employer wants you to start on another title immediately, your probably not gonna finish the last "job" because you felt like it.
                            "Your going DOWN clOWN" why did someone have to say this. WHY

Comment

If they cut them away, they wouldn't be in the code and broken for us to find and be excited about and ask them to fix it.
                              Sure they would, why wouldn't they be? Do you think every piece of hardware or software you've ever had or used was perfect upon reception? Some developers leave a TON of code behind or just leave it in for the sake of leaving it in even if it's unused. This is normal and half of the time it's meant as a reminder for them to either work on it later, or let someone else (IE: the skilled among the community) deal with it.

Just because it's there in some shape, form or just mentioned implies nothing other than it was an idea that never made it into the product you're currently enjoying. Does it mean that maybe later they'll incorporate it? The answer is obviously a maybe until proven otherwise. It would be nice to see them complete it or have someone else from the community take a crack at it. But it's ultimately up to the developers as to whether they actually make use of it in a future update.

So until we hear otherwise it might be best to just drop it
                              The distance between insanity and genius is measured only by success.

Comment

If they cut them away, they wouldn't be in the code and broken for us to find
                                Actually, that's quite common in game development. Features often get dropped for various reasons, and sometimes stripping them out completely is far more hassle than it's worth.

Comment

Working...
                                X