Clear All

• MiffedUser
    replied
    Awesome! Much appreciated.

Leave a comment:

• JohnnyTheWolf
    replied
    Originally posted by MiffedUser View Post
    However, I do like to cheat in my off time, especially if I can play the game offline. It adds to the longevity, and it lets me try tactics until I perfect them without dying, for instance. About the only way to do that with Alien Swarm is make a server and turn cheats on to stop stat tracking. I wish there was an option like in Left 4 Dead, where you can play by yourself, offline, with bots.
    Create yourself an autoexec.cfg file in cfg folder and add the following line:

asw_show_all_singleplayer_maps 1

Enjoy!
    Last edited by JohnnyTheWolf; 6 Aug 2010, 01:43 PM.

Leave a comment:

• MiffedUser
    replied
    I'm in agreement when it comes to cheating and getting achievements. It's nice to earn them, only to wonder if others who have them cheated for them. At least when achievements are disabled if files are different from vanilla game, I know that people most likely earned them.

However, I do like to cheat in my off time, especially if I can play the game offline. It adds to the longevity, and it lets me try tactics until I perfect them without dying, for instance. About the only way to do that with Alien Swarm is make a server and turn cheats on to stop stat tracking. I wish there was an option like in Left 4 Dead, where you can play by yourself, offline, with bots.

I think I might avoid the modded files though. I'm quite uncomfortable modifying weapon files and such to have inf. ammo and insta-reloads, just for fear of getting i trouble. I'd rather not waste my account for a few moments of "fun time".

Leave a comment:

• Schleicher
    replied
    The only harm that will do is that youll have to find another server if you end up in one where such obvious hacks are used, if thats not your idea of fun.

Its not a competitive game. Heck, next patch add a "Cheats enabled" button to the mission start and then let people pick their unlimited ammo/health/win game button from a dropdown menu or whatever

Leave a comment:

• Machine
    replied
    It only matters if your comparing your achievements to other people who might have cheated to get them. I like Achievements, they drive our gaming nights sometimes especially when it's something that requires the team like perfect execution or rush runs.

Leave a comment:

• pinkgun
    replied
    Alien swarm is no longer protected by VAC and all files under /scripts are not encrypted which are .txt files. Anyone can modify them easily. I dont think it's a "game breaking exploit.", since Alien Swarm is such an "open source" game. It's not easy to fix this exploit, developers need to change and encrypt everything. If they really wanna to do it , they wont leave the problem until now.

Btw, I strongly dislike VALVE put achievements in such an "open source" game. What's the point when someone can gain all achievements so easily with cheating or custom maps? and VAVLE wont stop it. This is the only one thing make me uncomfortable in Alien Swarm.

At last i still wanna to say thanks to Black Cat and VALVE because Alien Swarm is still a wonderful game and has great potential

Leave a comment:

• Machine
    replied
    Whilst it's always good to know about these things, the trouble with cheating isn't so much that it can be done - but that you choose to do it. Personally cheating would ruin the fun for me - if somebody wants to do it, fine.

I use cheats on my games when my relatives come round and bring children, I normally enable god mode or something for them to have a tinker without them needing to pester me every 2 minutes.

Cheating in a vs. game, of course, unacceptable, but again, I question the ethos behind it, why has the person decided to cheat? They arn't proving anything - other than being a huge cock and a blight on humanity.

Leave a comment:

• MiffedUser
    started a topic Hacks/Mods Found While Surfing

Hacks/Mods Found While Surfing

Woohoo for cached pages! >_>

And it seems modding the game files enables you to do outlandish things and still get achievements. According to the site, modding the game files isn't hacking, and it won't get you in trouble with VAC.

Anyway, I wanted to know (from the source) if modded files would lead to trouble, as it may be interesting to host my own server and turn SV_Cheats on just to mess around when I get bored without the stats tracking. But I don't want to risk my Steam account getting banned or something. I'd assume if you're able to pad stats via modding, Steam/BCG wouldn't look kindly upon that, and one could indeed, get in trouble.

I could post the link to the modded files, if I'm allowed, and perhaps I could get input as to whether it's a go or not. I really don't know a lot in regards to modding, so I don't know what is and isn't normal when making mods.

From the Read Me file:

***USAGE***

Drag the folders within "swarm - with hacks" folder in to your swarm folder (C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\alien swarm\swarm).

Load up your Alien Swarm game and have fun. All of the weapons have been modified to have unlimited ammo, instant reload times, insane rates of fire, faster run/walk for marine's, slower aliens, and MORE!

***UNINSTALL***

If you want to uninstall the hacks simply replace the folders within "swarm - with hacks" folder that you dropped into your swarm folder (C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\alien swarm\swarm) with the folders within "swarm - without hacks" folder found in Devil's alien swarm hacks.

***REMEMBER***

THIS IS 100% VAC PROOF AS IT DOES NOT BREAK ANY OF VALVE ANTI CHEATS ENFORCED ANTI CHEAT REGULATIONS. Please do not ask me if this can get you vac banned, because it cannot.

Also, I realize that this is a pretty game breaking exploit.
    Last edited by MiffedUser; 6 Aug 2010, 12:07 AM. Reason: Additional Mod Info
Working...
X