Eight things i want to in AS:I...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eight things i want to in AS:I...

Please note that these idea's have just popped into my head. Feel free to give me your criticizm, or whatever. I have thought over these ideas enough to know their downsides, so please, don't waste time by flat out saying that they wouldn't work. Also, if you don't understand something that i've said, just ask.

1. Character development
    Personally, I'd really like to see the character's grow through-out the campaigns. It shouldn't be difficult ot figure out. What you could do is make a main profile menu, and then have campaign date stored in each profile, and when ever the player starts a new campaign, they could load the character's progress. I am not a programmer, so i don't know how hard it would be to do accomplish this.

2. "Open" gameplay
    When i say open, I mean more "free". Take Mercenaries. Whenever you needed something, you could call in support. The mission's weren't so strict. Your equipment wasn't set in stone. And when you "move" from mission to mission, it would be neat if you had to drive there, or whatever, instead of just clicking "Move To". Also, areas that you have nuetralized should benefit you in some way. Take Sigma, Salvage. The mission description says that they were going to use that as a restock station. That should be able to benefit you in future Sigma missions.

3. New Locales
    New area's should be added. The only places you go to are mining stations, and labratories, and derelict space craft. Why not other places? Like maybe some civilian space stations, or why not a vacation ship? What's keeping the swarm from attacking that? Imagine fighting the swarm in future New York City, or a rain forest, or even getting in a bar room brawl with some aliens.

4. New types of campaigns/missions
    I would really like to see our favorite marines sent to an outpost, or whatever, that was under attack and help the marines that are already there fight the invasion, and how well you do will affect future missions in that campaign.

5. An Expansion on the AS universe
    I think the AS story needs a little more embellishing. Also, there should be other well known characters that you don't play as or even see.

6. More NPC's
    That whole rescue thing with William's was cool. I want to see more NPC's in the game, even if it's just a small amount.

7. A new load out menu
    I think it would be cool to be in some sort of HQ when you picked the roster for your squad, and their equipment. There could be a breifing room, and you could be there, and then be in the locker room, and then the equipment room, and then the launch bay. This is a pretty tentative idea, because it might be a little clumsy, and a bit annoying.

8. More characters
    Now, I don't necissarilly mean i think that they should definetly add more characters, I just didn't know what to call this one point. If there are going to be new character's, there should be more that just 1 or 2, there should be about, like, 8-16. Here's an idea. The government has noticed the effectiveness of Sarge and his skilled young men and women, and have made a specialized platoon made just for huntin' bugs. And instead of using the old characters, you bring in 16 new ones and use them for the missions. The older characters, of course will be leading the platoon, and making cameos and such. This is just a neat idea that just popped into my head, so please, don't give me flack for this one.

EDIT
    By the way, its' supposed to say "Eight things I want to see in AS" if you didn't know.
    Yeah, they're all right...
    36.36%
    No, you are a freakin' idiot!
    63.64%

Originally posted by CanceledCzech
    3. New Locales
    New area's should be added. The only places you go to are mining stations, and labratories, and derelict space craft. Why not other places? Like maybe some civilian space stations, or why not a vacation ship? What's keeping the swarm from attacking that? Imagine fighting the swarm in future New York City, or a rain forest, or even getting in a bar room brawl with some aliens.
    YOu want a bar room? I'd try the crabshack. You want cities? Try BugCity. As far as other places like space stations, I can't remember what the Phalanx Station was, but that just might fit the bill for you.
    “That’s not what justice is,” the colonel jeered, and began pounding the table again with his big fat hand. “That’s what Karl Marx is. I’ll let you know what justice is. Justice is a knee in the gut from the floor.

Comment

crabshack? bugcity? huh?

Comment

Originally posted by CanceledCzech
        crabshack? bugcity? huh?
        THose are user made maps. I was being facetious with regards to the crabshack map. It really is a quite silly map. BugCity is a very large map that takes place in a city. They can be downloaded if you don't have it.
        “That’s not what justice is,” the colonel jeered, and began pounding the table again with his big fat hand. “That’s what Karl Marx is. I’ll let you know what justice is. Justice is a knee in the gut from the floor.

Comment

You have such a specific and funny wishlist that the one thought that comes to my mind is "you should make your own mod". Don't get me wrong, they aren't all bad ideas. And dreaming is nice way of killing time imo.

I don't want to vote since none of the options suits me.

Comment

Some levels of phalanx fool you into thinking you're not in a space station at all, though...
            [THN] Gaming community - www.thehavennet.org.uk
            Proud admin of the THN AlienSwarm server #3 at 82.156.164.3:7777 and #4 at 87.117.203.96:7777. Teamspeak at: teamspeak.thehavennet.org.uk (def. port)

Comment

With exception of 2. "Open Gameplay", none of these sound like actual gameplay changes. I never played Mercenaries, so the example means nothing to me. I don't find any of the suggestions particularly bad. It's nice to hear suggestions that don't include major gameplay changes. I'm tired of hearing, "You shud make a 5nip3r class!" or "N1njas are kewl, make a n1nja class!". So thanks for not doing that.

However, I'd prefer that BCG work on the gameplay and getting the game out the door before considering any of these other suggestions. You have to remember that BCG is still an independant modding group. They can't put a 40-man staff on the job for 40 hours a week. All this stuff takes time and delaying a release with extra, and arguably unnecessary details, could really hurt the popularity of what will likely be a great mod. HL2 has been out for a while now and I wouldn't want to insist on anything that would delay the release of AS:I and lose the window in which the HL2 engine and mods are still popular.

So they aren't bad suggestions, but I think they are impractical given the circumstances.

Comment

facwetious? Crabshack has an npc too Boy that chuck sure knows how to make omelettes
                ..it's safer here.

Comment

Originally posted by fluffy
                  You have such a specific and funny wishlist that the one thought that comes to my mind is "you should make your own mod". Don't get me wrong, they aren't all bad ideas. And dreaming is nice way of killing time imo.

I don't want to vote since none of the options suits me.
                  If you do, no one can see you did

Thread-making-dood, go and dl all the comunity maps win them all on normal, then come back here
                  Alien Swarm Map List

Comment

Originally posted by Pestcontrol
                    Some levels of phalanx fool you into thinking you're not in a space station at all, though...
                    *twitch*
                    Phalanx Campaign
                    Executive CEO of NCM Mining Co. (Corvus Campaign)

Comment

Originally posted by fluffy
                      You have such a specific and funny wishlist that the one thought that comes to my mind is "you should make your own mod".
                      I was thinking that same thing when i was writing this, but i don't have the time, resources, skills, or knowledge to make my own mod. Also, these aren't really supposed ot be gameplay changes, just some things that i'd like to see in AS. But out of everything, the weapons, characters, levels, camera-angles, whatever, what I really want to see is better ambiance. I'm not saying that the original AS doesn't have ambiance, but I want to be really scared. I mean come on, they are flesh eating aliens. I know, i know, if I want ot be scared, "I should just play resident evil" but it's not the same. Oh, and i think it would be a little better if the aliens didn't appear from the freaking ceiling, and instead came through other exits.

Comment

Why can't they come through the freaking ceiling? The aliens in Aliens certainly did.

Comment

Originally posted by DON'T PANIC
                          Why can't they come through the freaking ceiling? The aliens in Aliens certainly did.
                          Can't argue with that one....

Comment

Originally posted by Ki!ler-Mk1
                            Thread-making-dood, go and dl all the comunity maps win them all on normal, then come back here
                            You too, Ki!ller. When you beat ao-ih3 and Ao-StupidXtreme come back and start posting again.
                            Based on a true story.
                            The prequel.

Comment

Originally posted by Fuzzy Bunny
                              You too, Ki!ller. When you beat ao-ih3 and Ao-StupidXtreme come back and start posting again.
                              My singleplayer doesnt work right anyway

Those are not real maps.
                              Alien Swarm Map List

Comment

Working...
                              X