Totally OT: Word processor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Totally OT: Word processor

Ok, I want to have something like a laptop that I can take to my room and sit and write, and then stick what I wrote into my main comp.

I don't need anything other than a basic laptop-type word processor. No other programs needed. And also, I would need it cheap

I am thinking I might need to buy an old laptop... but if any of you guys could make a suggestion for me, i would appreciate it.
    Garlisk's Fantasy Art Gallery
    www.usyetzer.com

(buy an ancient (ANCIENT) laptop that can run NOTEPAD, then do the formatting later if need be. .txt rules.)

Comment

Yeah, I know all about pencils and paper 8) I'd just have to retype everything to get it on the comp then. That was my only prob with that.

Yeah, I figured an ancient laptop was what I would need... Palm comps are too small...
      www.usyetzer.com

Comment

I have an old IBM ThinkPad you can have? 33 screaming MHz of power, and a whopping *8*, yes that's right *8* MB of memory! What more could you ask for?

Maybe a bigger screen. You think 7 inches is big enough?

Comment

7 inches should be big enough...

Comment

I have Win98SE. 99% of my word processing needs I do with WordPad (not Word). That's in case you used Windows.

You could look into BeOS 5 (my favorite OS!) and AbiWord. BeOS 5 was pretty fast on my old vanilla Pentium 200MHz machine, faster than Windows 98FE on the same. (I don't mean to be a fanatic as each has strengths and weaknesses.)

You could also look into FreeDOS. (http://www.freedos.org/)

Comment

Thanks a ton for the offer LR, that EXACTLY what I need. But, im afraid I can't/won't give my address to anyone over the net. Im sure you know where I live anyway (damn that eye!), but I don't think that would go over to big. Again, thanks a lot...

Ill look around one of the junky comp retailers around town here for somethin like that.
              www.usyetzer.com

Comment

Hmm, we're looking at a 660 mhz comp (tower) with some other basic stuff that would do the job of this 233 mhz tower better than its doing, for $220. If we were to get that, I could take this one and use it in my room. AND, I could play thievery on the "other" comp then, too!
                www.usyetzer.com

Comment

Best thing I ever did was get a job, buy my own computer, pay for my own internet.

Sits in my room... all mine... miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine... my preeeeecious....

(I'm 17, living at home, going to school. I refer to part-time after school work)

Comment

Originally posted by LaughingRat
                    I have an old IBM ThinkPad you can have? 33 screaming MHz of power, and a whopping *8*, yes that's right *8* MB of memory! What more could you ask for?

Maybe a bigger screen. You think 7 inches is big enough?

hey, as long as you're giving away laptops - i'll take that action 8)
                    I'm not so bad... Once you get to know me.

Comment

Originally posted by Thwark
                      hey, as long as you're giving away laptops - i'll take that action 8)
                      Heh. It's really not so much a laptop as an electric abacus....

Comment

An inexpensive word processor that is not obsolete:
                        - a used Palm OS device plus the customize-your-keystroke software Tealscript

I have a Handspring for other reasons, and find Tealscript well worth its cost. When taking notes at a lecture or sermon I now get about 120 characters per minute recognition and very few errors.

When I am done writing, I simply hotsync and my PC has my notes.

(I also use the Palm OS word processor WordSmith to allow my to modify .doc files, but that is a separate issue.)

Tealscript: http://www.tealpoint.com/softscrp.htm
                        WordSmith: http://www.bluenomad.com/ws/prod_wordsmith_details.html

Comment

Working...
                        X