Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Semi OT] Board Game Inspired by Thievery UT

Hey, y'all,

A few of you have heard me make comments while I was spectating about my designing a board game inspired by Thievery UT. The rough draft is done! As wonderful people who helped get me inspired I present the game as a free gift. You may ignore my web site's warnings when downloading this game. The game's web page is http://www.dvsgames.com/intrigue/ and the direct link to the .pdf file (save it from the alternate-click menu) is http://www.dvsgames.com/store/intrigue.pdf.

Please reserve this topic for discussing the board game. For example, to minimize its resemblance to Thievery I have purposefully not included potions. However, some of you may feel this lack is a sad loss and might discuss ways to incorporate potions into the board game.

Thank you again! Enjoy!

(And Dalai can scold me if he fells I have not given sufficient credit to Thievery.)

Addendum: My web site of board games is not really trying to sell games. Its true purpose is to present the games to potential publishers. Any such publishers will re-create the rules, board, and other playing pieces. Therefore some comments that try to help me won't matter. For example, if wall torches and jewel pedastals were plastic figurines then it would be easy to have flat cardboard things to mark which map spots were lit or dark; the fact my pre-production version requires mental bookkeeping, and if this is peferable, are irrelevant as a publisher will do as it feels best. For that reason I give credit and link to Thievery on my web page but not within the .pdf file.

Decidedly cool.
    It's not my fault everything you like is terrible.

Comment

Very nice sight mate
      I also went through some of the manuals and found a mixup.
      The wizards game says the loser takes the next fists move first, the manual says the winner takes the next first move (in the later rounds).
      How TuF are you?
      League of Legends
      Bloodbowl by Extensions

Comment

Originally posted by Aggamemnon
        I also went through some of the manuals and found a mixup. The wizards game says the loser takes the next fists move first, the manual says the winner takes the next first move (in the later rounds).
        Thank you for the help! But I can only find one instance, in the manual, in which it specficies which player moves first in a game:

The player in the Southwest territory moves first, unless the game is a re-match in which case the player who lost the previous game moves first.
        To which other thing were you referring? :? I must be overlooking something.

Comment

Awesome!

Game looks beautiful. Great website too!
          Question: How long did this game take you to create?
          Can the house/mansion be 'restructured' for variety each time you play? And are you considering making 'other boards/ map layouts' for it?

Great Job!!

...and all is silent, save the voice of the clock...

Comment

Originally posted by SiLeNt_NiGhT
            Awesome!

Game looks beautiful. Great website too!
            Question: How long did this game take you to create?
            Can the house/mansion be 'restructured' for variety each time you play? And are you considering making 'other boards/ map layouts' for it?

Great Job!!

Thank you. I'm not sure how long this game took to create. I thought a lot while spectating others, which depending upon your perspective may or may not count as "time spent". I had a moment of several immense revelations one evening. Playtesting took only a few hours.

The only significant time investment was drawing the board and tokens. That took perhaps 5 hours. It is difficult to say because this was done during the week my wife was finishing her Ph.D. thesis and I was frequently interrupted to help her with formatting and proof-reading her paper, preparing food, etc. (But then, such helping was why I was home from work, and thus able to work on the board game.)

I could certainly edit my files and quickly produce a variety of other maps. But this would be a waste of time for my purposes of game publishing. Whichever comapny eventually publishes the game will have different constraints (physical board size vs. size of box, etc.) and will undoubtedly redo my map and make others of their own.

The map is made with the software AppleWorks (a.k.a. ClarisWorks). If anyone actually wants it, to take the time to edit it and make more maps, I can post it on my server. But I expect that for this crowd the board game is more a novelty than something to spend time on -- unless you are about to go on a really long car trip or something.

(As an aside, three huzzahs to anyone who also remembers Appleworks as a silly action game, not the current word processor--and who can still summon its music and sound effects to recollection. Buink, buink, buink goes the diagonally bouncing bolt... Ah, for the days of Sammy Lightfoot.)

Comment

Working...
            X