On topic of patch 1.3 and it's size.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On topic of patch 1.3 and it's size.

We 'the members' have recieved word that a number of map balances will not be in the patch because it will become to large.

Simple sollution, multiple patches.

As far as we know now the map balances are allready done and are just waiting for the rest of the patch to be completed (correct me if I'm wrong). So wouldn't it be a good idea to release a socalled official Mappack-patch (V1.25?) that consists solely of new user/dev maps and new map versions? This would also give the dev team time to test and balance the gameplay itself some more before they release the actual patch, but still give us players something to kill the time with... AND we wouldn't have to deal with rediculous sized patches.

Who caresabout the filesize? If people want it, they will download it. Im on 56k. I'm downlaoding it no matter the size. I downloaded the mod right? I've also downloaded America's Army, who's patches are increasingly large (because I don't think they know what they're doing...), Deathball and all its patches for ut2k3, Microsoft Office XP (shhh ), etc. Filesize doesn't matter and shouldn't matter. If you don't have the time as a 56k user to download all of it in one shot, get a download manager, or a friend w/ cable and a cd-burner.

ph33r 7h3 56|< 23\/01U7i0n!
    *Leader of the 56k rebellion*
    *Slowing down cable and DSL users, everywhere*

LikitaRenn:"I wanna be added to as many people's sigs as will add me to... their.. sigs.. um.. something..."

Comment

Originally posted by Tankazz
      Who caresabout the filesize? If people want it, they will download it. Im on 56k. I'm downlaoding it no matter the size. I downloaded the mod right? I've also downloaded America's Army, who's patches are increasingly large (because I don't think they know what they're doing...), Deathball and all its patches for ut2k3, Microsoft Office XP (shhh ), etc. Filesize doesn't matter and shouldn't matter. If you don't have the time as a 56k user to download all of it in one shot, get a download manager, or a friend w/ cable and a cd-burner.

ph33r 7h3 56|< 23\/01U7i0n!
      The Dev's are worried about the filesize, not the members... and in a way they're right.

New people are less likely to try Thievery when they have to download several 100 mb files just to get it to work, they do not know yet the magnificence of Thievery and do not care about it that much.

Comment

Pfft. I saw the filesize for thievery, (120mb i believe) and was like "oh crap". Still, I really wanted the mod, so i downloaded it. Although i now really respect the devs for worrying about filesizes because many mod-makers dont seem to give a crap about how big their mods get.
        Anyway, I still think that if someone wants it enough that they'll download it. Even better, why not just split the patch into smaller zip files for 56k users with low willpower.
        *Leader of the 56k rebellion*
        *Slowing down cable and DSL users, everywhere*

LikitaRenn:"I wanna be added to as many people's sigs as will add me to... their.. sigs.. um.. something..."

Comment

Plus anyone who pops intot eh forum WILL BE ADVISED TO DL.

And they likely will. Give us the biggun and don't worry about its size.

(Yes I'm on cable muahahaa)
          How TuF are you?
          League of Legends
          Bloodbowl by Extensions

Comment

show off agg well im on 56k and i at first d/led the seperate files but they got corrupted on my drive so that they wouldn't work-so i think its better just to get the d/l all over and done with in one big chunk-but i wouldn't mind multi-files if the full file download corrupted due to disconnect )
            [E.D.G] "Eaves Droppers Guild - we're on the edge."

All New Thievery-O's!

Comment

I really like Virus's idea! If maps are completed that have known balance issues I'd like to petition the dev's to please release them to us. There are several ways to do this and I'll leave it up to you guys to make the call. Please don't make us wait till 1.4.

Comment

So, what you're proposing is 1.25 is optional? Meaning, if you're on a server that has a higher versioned map, you'll have to download that map (in-game, maybe?). Hmm, that makes downloading less obvious and easier since it's in parts. I like it.
                "Garlisk's got a lov-el-y bunch of coconuts."

Comment

Originally posted by Buho
                  So, what you're proposing is 1.25 is optional? Meaning, if you're on a server that has a higher versioned map, you'll have to download that map (in-game, maybe?). Hmm, that makes downloading less obvious and easier since it's in parts. I like it.
                  No not optional, just an official pre1.3 patch, that only has the patched and new maps.

Comment

A good idea but how about we split the entire Thievery file into two parts:
                    -Thievery-Engine
                    -Map-pack

These two components could be updated completely independantly & it would be subsequently easier for new players to keep the base-files up to date (they could just grab the latest Thievery-engine & the latest map-pack, as opposed to having to patch part of Thievery). Obviously we'd still have patches, but keeping the base-files up-to-date would keep total download size to a minimum.

This would be a big boost to 56k dial-up people, since the larger the file, the more likely that Getright will get a random attack of amnesia or decide to change the file size :x .

Comment

Splitting downloads in any way is a blessing. My hardware modem rarely connects beyond 44000. To top that off, my ISP sometimes is not able to serve to capacity: sometimes I see less-than-optimal-downloads regardless of site, and they can go like that for quite a while.

Comment

I'm on 56k and personally love tugging in huge downloads-I mean I got Calendras Legacy a few weeks ago and that was well over 200MB-almost 300MB infact I think...but was most definately worth the long wait and hefty download.

I also got strike force for UT which was another hefty download of over 200MB and I hated it-it lasted about half an hour on the hard drive.

The wasted large downloads on a 56k don't bother me too much cos at least they're free and it stops the bloody phone ringing for more than 5 minutes too.

If the next patch is as good as the last one then the dev team should really not worry too much about its size.

Comment

Well, I don't mind sending cd's with it on to a few 56k 'ers in the UK so long as the demand isn't too great..... Just PM me.
                          Does all this talk mean that 1.3 is imminent, by the way?

Comment

Originally posted by MegaDude
                            Well, I don't mind sending cd's with it on to a few 56k 'ers in the UK so long as the demand isn't too great..... Just PM me.
                            It's been perpetually imminent for two months now.

Comment

Originally posted by LaughingRat
                              Originally posted by MegaDude

Comment

Working...
                              X