Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual Processor Motherboard Question

If you have a Dual Processor motherboard:

-Will it work if you only use one processor?

-Can I use two different Processor speeds? like a 600 and a 500 working together to make a 1.1Ghz?

-Can I mix different Pentium types? like a P2 and a P3 working together?

I understand that you can run a UT server on one processor and play on the other processor without taxing the system too much. So that's cool.

Guy at Crackaz, Smitty, is a dual processor guru. You could ask in the technical topics forum there.

Comment

Thank you.. but the server wont let me register. I get:

"Could not insert data into users table"

Comment

I had that problem. I had to get LR to register for me.
        Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia, n. See also Irony.

Comment

Baaad PHPNuke!

Comment

Originally posted by KewlAzMe
            Thank you.. but the server wont let me register. I get:

"Could not insert data into users table"
            I set it that way just for you....

No, really, I thought that problem was solved. Weird. If you want, PM me a username and a valid email address and I'll register it for you.

Comment

I'm going to make my machine a dual MP2600 in a few months. My first entry into the MP arena

We should swap notes, Kewl.
              "Garlisk's got a lov-el-y bunch of coconuts."

Comment

MP?

Comment

Originally posted by KewlAzMe
                  MP?
                  Buho is talking about the "Athlon MP 2600" processor. The MP means the processor is certified to work in a Multiple Processor motherboard. Intel's current version is the Xeon, they just don't use the "MP" designation.

While many different processors will work in a dual-proc system (even Durons and Celerons), the BIOS and software may limit their abilities since they aren't certified. I have even heard that some boards will not use one of the CPU's at all if they both aren't certified.

As for your need to run a server and a client on the same machine, you may not need a dual-proc setup at all. Look at the Intel P4 with Hyper-Threading, which gives the effect of dual-processors without dual-processors.

Of course, if Thievery would run natively on Linux you wouldn't need such a sophisticated setup. I used to run a UT server and client on a ~950Mhz Duron/384MB PC133 SDRAM setup running Mandrake 8.1 with an Nvidia GF2 GTS 32MB card and would easily get 60+fps with max detail @1024x768. But alas, Thievery has to have Wine to run under Linux, and I cannot get a stable dedicated server. *sigh*
                  No Linux, No Choice.
                  Know Linux, Know Choice.

Comment

ok and breathe! heh

You go ahead and buy me a P4 with Hyperthreading. I can just buy a dual processor Motherboard with the intel chipset that intel recommends works with dual processors. AMD is not for me.. As far as running a server on one and playing on the other.. that was just somthing I noticed that would also benefit from this. But the real benefit is that I need to upgrade my Processor anyway... and i need a new motherboard to upgrade.. so i figured ill go the right way and get a dual so i can have the high speed at the lower cost.

Comment

Last night, I bought $1,200 dollars worth of computer equipment off of the internet. This is the motherboard I bought:

1. GigaByte GA-8INXP Motherboard based off of the brand new Intel chipset called E7205.

2. Pentium 4 Processor at 2.53 ghz with 533 fsb.

3. 2 x 256 mb sticks of Corsair DDR 400 memory. They are dual channel.

When I get all of my parts in and build my new computer (in a week), I will make a thread bragging about what I have

Comment

Holy crap, Anarch! Yeh, let us know how it runs!

Xeon's are frikkin' expensive, man! Yeh, they're the s***, but I don't have the funds to build a server-grade machine. I'm just upgrading my personal computer.

Hey, does anybody think I'm nuts for seriously considering buying two 1GB DDR PC3200 2.0CL RAM?

Comment

Originally posted by Buho
                          Hey, does anybody think I'm nuts for seriously considering buying two 1GB DDR PC3200 2.0CL RAM?
                          Yes.
                          No Linux, No Choice.
                          Know Linux, Know Choice.

Comment

Originally posted by Buho
                            Depends on what you plan on using it for, if you're just going to use it for what most people do(a bit of word processing, gaming, music) then yes, you are nuts.
                            Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia, n. See also Irony.

Comment

Poster-sized Photoshop compositions, 3D animation and rendering, editing videos.... Actually, I have been fairly happy with 768MB. Just that my rule of thumb for upgrading is don't upgrade unless you're going to double it (speed, capacity, etc). I need new RAM when I get my new processor, so I figured I'd double the RAM while I'm at it. Maybe I should stick to two 512's tho....

Comment

Working...
                              X