Devs: Whats your motivation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Devs: Whats your motivation?

I've been curious about this ever since I started playing...why do you do this?
    You obviously put a LOT of time into this mod, making skins, models, maps etc...and you arn't making a dime off of it.

My only thought is...you put it on your resume? Kinda like being an intern? Lets others know you have experience or what?

Thanks
    Garlisk's Fantasy Art Gallery
    www.usyetzer.com

I'd say it's the satisfaction they can get from it.
    Also, maybe some people just love doing it, just for the fun it gives. Look at Mord, he seems to enjoy mapping a lot.
    JM

Comment

putting it on the resume is definitely a good thing - but i can say for myself that the reason i joined the team was because it seemed like fun. and it has been. there's something to be said for doing what you like to do and seeing results, even if you don't get a fatty paycheck.

if anyone wants to send me money, they should feel free, btw 8)
      I'm not so bad... Once you get to know me.

Comment

I do it because I lost a bet.
        AI Programmer,
        Thievery UT

Comment

I do it for several reasons:
          1 - I have more free time than I know what to do with
          2 - I enjoy learning new things - mapping is a constant learning experience
          3 - I love Thief, Thief 2, and Dr. Pepper
          4 - Someone might offer me a job, working from home, with good pay and creative control of the project. One day. Perhaps.

Reasons I'd rather -not- do it:
          1 - I'm a perfectionist. I'm acutely aware of every single glitch, bsp, texture misalignment, gameplay issue and framerate problem. This is why there are three versions of Korman, and why every time I look at it I think "I need to make v4".
          2 - I am artistically inept. I have a picture in my head of how something should be, but I am unable to create it. This leaves me generally unable to make my own custom textures and/or models, two things a good map really needs.
          3 - I hate being limited by anything. The Unreal engine hates me (witness Korman v1's church hall, or the framerate from the rectory roof looking towards the church).
          Mordengaard - Tester/Mapper/Voice Actor/Nitpick/Coder

"Criminal: A person with predatory instincts who has not sufficient capital to form a corporation."
          :: Howard Scott

Comment

Devs of the leasts known mods tend to give up quite fast. But once you've done the best mod in the world , having a whole gaming community , you know you must continue working on it. Both personal glory and responsability are involved here.

Comment

Originally posted by Mordengaard
              I do it for several reasons:
              1 - I have more free time than I know what to do with
              2 - I enjoy learning new things - mapping is a constant learning experience
              3 - I love Thief, Thief 2, and Dr. Pepper
              4 - Someone might offer me a job, working from home, with good pay and creative control of the project. One day. Perhaps.

Reasons I'd rather -not- do it:
              1 - I'm a perfectionist. I'm acutely aware of every single glitch, bsp, texture misalignment, gameplay issue and framerate problem. This is why there are three versions of Korman, and why every time I look at it I think "I need to make v4".
              2 - I am artistically inept. I have a picture in my head of how something should be, but I am unable to create it. This leaves me generally unable to make my own custom textures and/or models, two things a good map really needs.
              3 - I hate being limited by anything. The Unreal engine hates me (witness Korman v1's church hall, or the framerate from the rectory roof looking towards the church).
              You don't happen to be a clone? That's me!

(Though I have never tried Dr. Pepper :/ )

What's your last name?

Comment

Working...
              X