Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lightgem Help/Temporary Semi-Solution

Hello Humans!

I'm not sure if this belongs in another Forum, But i'll post it here to begin with as it concerns all of you, and could be an aid to us all.

There has been much anger/sadness bleh... dumb human emotions, i'll never understand them.

Anyway, there has been much greif over the subject of the lightgem not representing the true darkness of the thief, and in some cases the visibilty meter is occasionally wrong also.

I've been experimenting with stuff and have found a semi-solution, whilst it doesn't fix the problem, it aids the theif in hiding.

I, like other people use the gem AND the visibility meter to determine how well seen I am, but the visibilty meter is not in the most conveiniant place on the screen really....

SO!!

I run Thievey in 1024x768, so these settings may NOT work if you run in a higher/lower resolution, however the concept is the same so just experiment with the values..

The file "ThieveryMod.ini" contains 2 lines near the VERY top of the file :-

* HUDX=0
    * hudy=90

If you alter these values to :-

* HUDX=470
    * hudy=700

Then, in the resolution 1024x768 the visibilty meter -should- appear directly above the lightgem, i've found this to be an EXCELLENT modification, as I can quickly compare the two, if there is a discrepacy between them then I normally believe the visibilty meter, but you can quickly check with behindview. Omega has made some good tutorials on binding a keys for this, I used it to bind a key that shows me behind and on release, puts me back in first person. (Goto his tutorials here :- http://shadowguild.net/tutorials/3 Hope u don't mind me linking them Omega)

You'll need the Visibilty meter enabled which can be found a few lines down, just change it to "ShowLightGem=True"

Again, I stress I did this on my system in my resolution and it worked, I think you'd have to alter the values (which I think are in pixels) for lower or higher resolutions.

Hope this helps somebody!

TheMachine

P.S - Backup before fiddling! It takes 2 seconds to do and could save you 20 minutes reinstalling everything! I wouldn't fiddle with the other values in that file as I'm unsure as to what they do.
    ~TuF~

Not at all machine.

Originally posted by TheMachine
    You'll need the Visibilty meter enabled which can be found a few lines down, just change it to "ShowLightGem=True"
    Making the % visibility meter show up in your hud.

Comment

Here are the values for 1152x864:

HUDX=524
      hudy=783

Comment

Cool! Thanx, TMach! I've always been annoyed at the placement of the %, because it overlaps what you type and what people say.
        "Garlisk's got a lov-el-y bunch of coconuts."

Comment

I find that handy too, I wonder if it's possible to center the netstats too. That overlaps with chat too.

I don't know if this really fixes the problem but it's a handy change. (The % meter)

Comment

Yeah, it's not a fix, but i find it a nice tweek.

Not sure about Netstats, i'll fiddle some more!...
            ~TuF~

Comment

Originally posted by TheMachine
              Not sure about Netstats, i'll fiddle some more!...
              I think you may have more trouble with that. The lightgem and visibility % were features that had to be added for Thievery, so there are .ini file settings for them. Netstats is more integral to UT, though.

I hope you DO find something, though, because I find Netstat's positioning very inconvenient.

Comment

Whats the settings for 640x480

Don't yell Thief. Yell Assassin instead!

Comment

In 640x480 you just have to look at the gem and write your best estimate next to it in marker pen.
                  I'm cool!

Comment

Originally posted by Jaegar
                    Whats the settings for 640x480

Just have a play with them Jaegar, as far as I know you can't seriously fuck up thievery by playing with these settings.

at a gues I'd say the settings would be around

X = 300
                    Y = 390

Put these in and adjust accordingly, the numbers represent an offset in pixels from the top left hand corner of the screen. The maximum values you can enter are those of your resolution (i.e in your case X max = 640)

Have a play with them, and when you them out, post the co-ordinates here for others.
                    ~TuF~

Comment

There must be a math forumula to figure out 640, something like 1024 / 470 (the number of resolution and the hudx), etc.

I'd figure out but I'm too lazy and have a headache, don't need more brain pain.
                      The only constant is change.
                      (And I wouldn't have it any other way.)

Comment

Well, the x-axis would be close to the middle of the screen right? So it should be about half of you resolution's x factor...

I really have no idea what I'm talking about, but it made sense to me
                        Genius is a blink before a moment of insanity.
                        "Dream is Destiny"
                        Waking Life

Comment

TheMachine, I could kiss you!!!

Settings for 1280x1024:
                          HudX=590
                          HudY=942

Comment

Originally posted by Slappy
                            TheMachine, I could kiss you!!!

Settings for 1280x1024:
                            HudX=590
                            HudY=942
                            If you weren't a couple inches tall?
                            The only constant is change.
                            (And I wouldn't have it any other way.)

Comment

Guys, here is Mad_Gerbils visibility test:

If guards are shooting at you, you are visible.

Isn't that much more simple than fooling with those complicated adjustments?
                              "A gerbil is a rodent, wretched creature and quite possibly represents yourself there unclean vile obsolete weak and live happily in there and others filth, they have caused plague and death to humans and nearly wiped us out" - industrialism

Comment

Working...
                              X