The Dark Project - TUT: the card game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Dark Project - TUT: the card game

For some days now, I've been toying around with the idea of a Magic: The Gathering-style Thievery card game. Now, so far I haven't as much as moved my little finger to make it real, but if it does get off the ground, I'll need graphics for the cards at one point. Ideally, that would mean in-game screenshots, and that means a server and some people who will pose for the shots. Three questions:

- Is that okay with the devs if I use TUT screenshots? Yabba yabba noncommercial open-source rhetorics, pleaseplease?

- If there's an affirmative answer to the question above, are there any clans who would be willing to cooperate with making the shots?

- Anyone interested in and willing to discuss ideas? I have a relatively clear picture in my mind, but there's always room for input.

What about making vine arrows stick into gaurds and be able to tie them to things.
    The only constant is change.
    (And I wouldn't have it any other way.)

Comment

If I were making the cards, I would employ artists to draw fabulous renderings of guards attacking thieves, invisibility, et-cetera. That would be much cooler than just screenshots. After all, TUT has such basic animation. How do you make a "block" card graphic when there is no pose for blocking?

Overall, cool idea. TUT has a lot of strategy that you could pull into a card game.
      "Garlisk's got a lov-el-y bunch of coconuts."

Comment

CrouchingDork: I seem to have heard that suggestion before. Hmm, now who said it and when?

Buho: Excellent idea. There are only two minor problems. A, I don't know any artists who would draw the mentioned fabulous pictures, and B, even if I did, I wouldn't have the kind of money artists regularly ask for fabulous pictures.

Comment

I like the idea, but the "Server crash!", "Disconnect" and "Ping Spike" cards will probably end up overpowered. I cetainly would be willing to help with game mechanics and such, and probably could manage to make some decent art for simple things, like arrows and swords, using some 3D software. I'm no artist however.

*Pays 50 loot and plays "Callvote kickban" on Taffer*
          Immortius' Forge

Comment

Ooooh!

Lets make card ideas.

How about whine cards, firespam cards, rage cards, OMG WTF cards, FUKIN LAAG!1111! cards, and some Drunken spectating Rat with too much admin priviledges and a plasma gun cards.

Comment

i'm so popular....now there's not only a pc game named after me....but a board game
              http://profiles.myspace.com/users/7360475
              -=:ToB:=- / :]eDe[: Site: www.endarkend.net
              -=:ToB:=-Forums: www.endarkend.net/phpbb/
              -=:ToB:=-PayingSins (TUT MAP)- http://www.endarkend.net/downloads/m...oB_Payback.zip

Comment

i've actualyl been working on the logistics of a Thievery card game. I'm held up, though, since I've got no art skills, and can't find anyone capable or willing to help me make an internet based gui for playing it. Thus, i can't test out the rules i've made.
                I'm not so bad... Once you get to know me.

Comment

Originally posted by Buho
                  How do you make a "block" card graphic when there is no pose for blocking?
                  How about a screenshot from the perspective of the blocking player, showing the sword in it's block position?

Originally posted by CrouchingDork
                  How about some Drunken spectating Rat with too much admin priviledges and a plasma gun cards.
                  LMAO!! There's actually a good idea in there, though. An "admin cheats" card.

Comment

Card Name: Leap of Faith

Image: Thief jumping off the church tower in Korman.

Description: Selected opponent removes one creature of their choice from play. Counterable by a Catfall Potion or a Mario.

Text: In his attempt to evade the guards, CrouchingDork took a leap of faith. He escaped the guards, but not the ground.
                    Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia, n. See also Irony.

Comment

Originally posted by Salvage
                      Text: In his attempt to evade the guards, CrouchingDork took a leap of faith. He escaped the guards, but not the ground.
                      But alas, he quaffed an invis and the ground could not track him down.

Comment

If you intend to make this a published, collectible card game, be aware that Wizards of the Coast (and hence Hasbro) own the patents for collectible card games. They charge a percentage of sales (I think it's 2%), and I believe they require that they authorise each product.

If it's not collectible, don't worry bout it though
                        {CTG} Softy Guildmaster
                        Contact details updated
                        I want more than 255 characters in this sig dammit!

Comment

Wizards of the Coast are a bunch of arses. Down with them.
                          Genius is a blink before a moment of insanity.
                          "Dream is Destiny"
                          Waking Life

Comment

Originally posted by Entropy
                            If you intend to make this a published, collectible card game, be aware that Wizards of the Coast (and hence Hasbro) own the patents for collectible card games. They charge a percentage of sales (I think it's 2%), and I believe they require that they authorise each product.

If it's not collectible, don't worry bout it though
                            Even more evidence of the problems with patents in the United States...
                            Nearly all men can stand adversity -- if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.

Comment

I should add that these patents extend to the mechanic of 'tapping' a card, or turning it at an angle to indicate it has been activated.

I've been involved (loosely) in the gaming industry since well before MtG, and I remember the advent of CCGs, the proliferation of a new 'industry' and hopes for a creative boom that would help bring fresh gamers into RPGs via CCGs. I also remember the rumours, then the reality of the patents, and the lockdown of that particular lucrative market, followed by Hasbro's acquisition of WotC.

All the complaints, frustration, and bitterness have come and gone since then, but when it comes down to it nothing is going to change the situation. The American patent system tends to give out patents fairly easily and rely on court battles to correct errors. That means little guys without lots of money for legal battles can't do shit. And there's no guarantee that these patents would be quashed even if a legal challenge were mounted - the US system is there to protect those who would earn money from creations, not to protect common sense or the public domain.
                              {CTG} Softy Guildmaster
                              Contact details updated
                              I want more than 255 characters in this sig dammit!

Comment

Working...
                              X