A message to the Modders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A message to the Modders

First off, this isn't a flame, just a warning about some things that i've noticed.

If a 1.35 patch isn't released VERY soon, you're going to lose a LOT of players.

If you get onto Mogs, you can't go 5 minutes without numerous people complaining about how unbalanced everything is. And yes, that happened somewhat in version 1.2 also, but something major has changed since then. Now there isn't anyone disagreeing with them.

A few things that most people seem to agree on:
    -Something has to be done about the AI waking up. What, I don't know.
    -Thieves are now rewarded for killing, which isn't right. I used to always use a semi-ghoster loadout, now I just use an AI-killing loadout. Its the only way to even come close to winning.

There are other things also, I just can't remember them at the moment. One thing that I (personally) would like to complain about is the team asignment. I once was placed as a guard FOUR TIMES IN A ROW! And I hadn't played a thief on that server at all before that. And many of the people who got to be thieves might have also been a guard on the last level, but not for the last 3 levels! Argh!

Well, thats out of my system. Anyway, I would personally rather go back to version 1.2 (well, 1.2 with the new maps. and wait for a "better" 1.3, than to just continue as it currently is. But really, something has to be done SOON, or many, MANY people arn't going to continue playing. Not to mention the newbs who play a couple of times, notice how unbalanced it is, and then never come back, even after the next version is released.

One last thing: I'd be very interested in seeing the statistics of thief/guard wins on Mogs.

Actually, they did something right.

They made the hard difficulty setting actually hard(for thieves anyway).
    I agree about the team assignment problems though.

As it sits right now, it's out of the devs hands what is going to happen because they have little/no control over the server settings.

I am confident that the server admins will find a good setting to make games challenging for both teams.
    Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia, n. See also Irony.

Comment

Originally posted by Nex
      There are other things also, I just can't remember them at the moment. One thing that I (personally) would like to complain about is the team asignment. I once was placed as a guard FOUR TIMES IN A ROW! And I hadn't played a thief on that server at all before that. And many of the people who got to be thieves might have also been a guard on the last level, but not for the last 3 levels! Argh!
      I think I played with you ! Say , what's your alias online ? I think you are Spyder , not sure...

Comment

Actally, its Nex.

Comment

Most in-game complaints are about the AI, which can be set to lower difficulty by the server admins. Nothing to do with the developers.

Also, there's always a tendency to make a little more noise than what is actually required. I hope people lear to live with it and admins lower the AI settings down to a point where they're not better than human guards.

Comment

Warning to some players : If you don't get used soon, you'll be missing a GOOD mod.
            JM

Comment

Nex:

The only manner in which the devs might be said to have made a mistake is in the default settings. They actually did a very good job with this patch, and put a LOT of options in the hands of the server admins. Please remain patient while the admins sort things out. I think I can safely speak for all of us in saying that we want players to enjoy games played on our servers. That's why we run them, after all. There's an ongoing discussion about this in the server admin's forum currently, and we're throwing around several really good ideas right now.

Comment

Originally posted by LaughingRat
                Nex:

The only manner in which the devs might be said to have made a mistake is in the default settings. They actually did a very good job with this patch, and put a LOT of options in the hands of the server admins. Please remain patient while the admins sort things out. I think I can safely speak for all of us in saying that we want players to enjoy games played on our servers. That's why we run them, after all. There's an ongoing discussion about this in the server admin's forum currently, and we're throwing around several really good ideas right now.
                Well, once we do figure out the best default settings, all the dev's have to do is release a 'patch'with the new ini files, and replace the 1.3 patch with a 1.31 patch that also holds these ini's.

Comment

Originally posted by -=V12US=-
                  Well, once we do figure out the best default settings, all the dev's have to do is release a 'patch'with the new ini files, and replace the 1.3 patch with a 1.31 patch that also holds these ini's.
                  Not much point in releasing a patch just for a few server setting tweaks. Any admin who should be running a server knows how to make those changes, and when a client connects to a server, the server's settings take precedence over any client setting.

Comment

I really think it will be worthwhile LR, as many of those settings will also be relevant for solo play, personal/home server and LAN sessions, where the individual running the server does not necessarily have the knowledge or awareness of these issues or how to correct them as those of you who run 24/7 public servers do.
                    {CTG} Softy Guildmaster
                    Contact details updated
                    I want more than 255 characters in this sig dammit!

Comment

The AI difficulty slider is pretty obvious in the game setup screen. Even *I* would notice it.

Comment

If the AI difficulty slider was the only thing that affects game balance there wouldn't be this discussion.
                        {CTG} Softy Guildmaster
                        Contact details updated
                        I want more than 255 characters in this sig dammit!

Comment

Are you THAT sure of it? :grin: :grin: :grin:

Anyways, that can make the game easy enough for anyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Entropy
                            If the AI difficulty slider was the only thing that affects game balance there wouldn't be this discussion.
                            The AI difficulty slider is probably sufficient for single player adjustment. Anyone who absolutely HAS to have different, can afford to spend 15 minutes researching how to do it, or ask someone who knows. There's certainly no shortage of people around here who can tell someone how to do it. And Orgy has posted exactly what settings are where and do what in another thread.

Perhaps Omega could add a tutorial on the TSG site as well.

Comment

Originally posted by LaughingRat
                              Originally posted by -=V12US=-
                              Not much point in releasing a patch just for a few server setting tweaks. Any admin who should be running a server knows how to make those changes, and when a client connects to a server, the server's settings take precedence over any client setting.
                              The patch we want doesn't really cover the settings that the admins can set. Things like AI switch weapon too fast, standing up in vents, and the water stutter bug, or the visibility meter lie. These are the things that need to be fixed to ease our minds. Especially the visi meter thing. Im finding more and more areas that dont shadow anymore like they used to. Popular shadows that show you as 100% visible.

Comment

Working...
                              X