New server settings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New server settings

In trying to find balanced settings for 1.3, the server admins have agreed to the following settings on a trial basis.
    -Clever AI
    -KOed guards are awakened on frob
    -KOed guards do not automagically wake up

Note that these are not final settings, just a change that will hopefully make the game more balanced. We'll continue watching the balance on the servers and adjusting the settings to make the game balanced and fun. The two major public servers -- Crackaz and Mog's -- will be changed shortly, as will Lurox's public server and hopefully others.

The reasoning this change that it will make KOs more effective, but not bring back the DMing that was present in 1.2. Since KOs are permanent until the body is found and frobbed by a human, thieves have a reason to hide the bodies, and guards again have a reason to fear the shadows. Also, thieves assaulting a group of guards will still be crippled, since any KOed guard can instantly be awakened with an frob.

Again, let me say that these are not permanent settings, it's a temporary change in an attempt to balance 1.3. If it doesn't work, it'll be changed again until we find fair settings that produce enjoyable games.
    Nearly all men can stand adversity -- if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.

*Bows down to the mighty group of server admins and worships them*

But i still like auto-waking up guards

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.K.
      But i still like auto-waking up guards
      I also kinda liked them. This is an extreme change to that setting, that will quite possibly be changed again later, it depends how this works out.
      Nearly all men can stand adversity -- if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.

Comment

We'll do a public announce once the settings are changed.

Comment

Powerful Bill must have eagle sight. He reads tiny letters and makes them big. Like Jeena Jameson does with m....

Never mind.

I agree it's all in the testing. Trying these settings for a couple of weeks would give a good idea about what it does to the game. Then, if the games become more balanced or someone else comes across some other solution, respawning could be brought back.

Anyways, frobbing should do the trick by now, you know where you were KO'ed, and if the thief wants to move on, your body will be there. Even if it's not there it'll probably be somewhere close, in a dark spot.

We could keep discussing about what would work and what wouldn't but the best way to know is of course TRYING!

*Off to try the new settings*

Comment

I am all for the balance of the game and am willing to check this out, but I fear thieves hiding bodies in places like the water in spider, grange, asylum and theatre, where they can't possibly be recovered...

I guess we will have to see how it turns out

Comment

In trying to find balanced settings for 1.3, the server admins have agreed to the following settings on a trial basis.
              -Clever AI
              -KOed guards are awakened on frob
              -KOed guards do not automagically wake up
              I'm sorry to throw a spanner in the works here, but I did not agree to this, as I have been away this weekend
              My priority for Mog's is to keep the server running, and since 1.3, I have been unable to do this because of occasional hangups ops:
              In order to better try and understand what the relevant factors may be, I am going to remove the guard wakeup facility from Mog's completely
              This will be a temporary change, and will be reviewed as and when I can reach a conclusion regarding the significance of the change

Comment

Originally posted by poe
                I am all for the balance of the game and am willing to check this out, but I fear thieves hiding bodies in places like the water in spider, grange, asylum and theatre, where they can't possibly be recovered...
                That's part of the reason for the change. A guard that get's KO'd in a well lit objective area will most likely be left there while the thief grabs stuff and runs. However, a guard that follows a thief alone into heavy shadows is probably permanently lost. It keeps guards on their toes about losing their spawns, which is definitely NOT the case now.

Comment

Originally posted by poe
                  This is no different that the situation was before. Sleeping guards could still be tossed into spots that make them impossible to get to or useless when they wake up. Even if they automagically woke up it wouldn't help this problem, the only solution is changing the maps.

Comment

Originally posted by Mog
                    I'm sorry to throw a spanner in the works here, but I did not agree to this, as I have been away this weekend
                    Take that, ModeTwo. ^_^

Comment

I think it should be just the opposite...

Guards SHOULD wake up automatically
                      Guards SHOULD NOT wake up on frob.

Guards aren't magic healers! they cant just bring someone out of a coma in one second. The problem is that you can KO an AI, and a human around the corner frobs him and wakes him up instantly and that same AI you just KO'd kills you with his uber skills.

All KO'd people should either be forced to stay KO'd until they wake up themselves.. And that time should be randomized between 5-8 minutes; Or if you are gonna have wake up on frob, there should be a moment where the AI has to get his head together and slowly come back to consciousness. I've had many battles where I was trapped in a small place with too many gaurds and as I tried to even the competition, the humans just kept waking the KO'd guards up instantly. I think I KO'd the same AI 4 times in 15 seconds because the human guard kept waking him up immediately.

Comment

First try.
                        Then whine.

(And if you get more than 50% wins and still want to whine, you better have a good reason).

Comment

KAM:

These are the settings. We're not interested in talks about comas. We're interested in balance, and good gameplay. In our opinion, frob only KO's enhance that Be still requiring a thief to carefully consider if a KO is worth it, while requiring guards to be careful, because permanent losses are possible. If they don't work, we'll try something different.

Don't mistake this for a discussion. It's not. It's an announcement.

That's all.

And frankly, if a thief gets caught in a well lit room by several guards and tries to fight his way out, he SHOULD die. Think about it.

Comment

I think its worth a good try, give it a chance people it just might be the answer
                            ,if not they can make some other adjustment. Anything is better than the way
                            it is now.

A side note to the devs, I think you did a great job with the improvemnets
                            in 1.3, love the decoy arrow and scouting orb. Great enhancements both.
                            I think a few server adjustments and all will be fine.

GREAT JOB DEVS!!

Comment

OK its worth a try.. but i never said i was in a well lit room.. im talking about the shadowed area of the Thief spawn in Darkened enlightenment. I was KOing guards that were spawn raping after a human brought them there.. so each time I KO'd the human woke him them up and closed the door..

Now of course I could have just left the area.. but its the principal if it.
                              But we will try your way... in teh mean time.. Kewl's Server will be opposite so we can try that way too.

Comment

Working...
                              X