3d programs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3d programs?

i'm making a model that i want to submit to the dev's for thievery...and i thought its high time i got a new 3d program...i currently use anim8or (www.anim8or.com) which is free, if anyone could tell me some of the more popular ones and the price....i know maya is supposed to be like the most expensive thing out there

3d Studio Max.

You can download it off kazaa, I think... which is the best choice because, according to Jer and BlackErtai, it's price is high.
    JM

Comment

3dstudio max, for making models you might be able to use g-max or whatever it's called, the light version of 3dstudio max meant for game map/model making.
      "There's no problem that can't be solved with a big crate!"

Comment

3d max will work, but it can have a large learning curve if youre not use to higher end 3d apps, dunno if that bothers you or not, and yeah the price is super high, also it does seem to be the industry standard for the gaming industry right now

I use Truespace myself, its cheap and works for what I want to do, I wouldnt really recommend animating a whole real-time character in it, it can be sorta a pain with bones, but it wouldnt be impossible

other 3d apps you might want to look into: Lightwave, Softimage or Maya, and I would say Rhino 3d but I think that still only supports nurbs, but I could be wrong on that one, also another app you might want to check out is called Wings3d, its a really simple, free modeler, no real rendering or texturing but might be useful with something like this
        "Shivers running down my spine,
        whos blood? I know its mine.
        -I am The Hunted"

GBH

Comment

lightwava, maya ... yeah ... i don't know

Sorry
          On demand this signature has been changed. I hope nobody was insulted or got harmed due to my signature. If this is the case, I'm fully responsible for the harm that was done. Do you feel harmed or you simply want a listening ear?

Call 0900-PHAE

Comment

I used milkshape to make the Spiderthing I showed a couple o' weeks back... I have 3D max too, but it's tough to use.

Comment

A version of Maya light is on the UT2003 bonus CD.
              ]V[]V[

Comment

Originally posted by MortalMonkey
                ya i heard about that....of course i'm running a p2 350 mhz with a 8mb video card so UT2k3 is not in any way shape or form on my harddrive......the more i think about it.....these higher end programs are going to require a better computer so i fear i may not be able to use them until the day my alien ware arrives :grin:

Comment

Originally posted by Errblah
                  ya i heard about that....of course i'm running a p2 350 mhz with a 8mb video card so UT2k3 is not in any way shape or form on my harddrive......the more i think about it.....these higher end programs are going to require a better computer so i fear i may not be able to use them until the day my alien ware arrives :grin:
                  "There's no problem that can't be solved with a big crate!"

Comment

Originally posted by Bloody-Reaper
                    Originally posted by Errblah
                    what's so amazing reaper....the fact that i play TUT on a horrible machine and make 3d stuff on it....or....that i'm getting alien ware

Comment

I have 3dmax and all I ever seem to end up with is loads of dancing teapots running across my screen.

I too have a horrible computer at the moment(infact graphically Thievery is about the best game I can get away with on this thing-along with other Unreal1 powered games)-if I try to do anything too complicated in 3dmax its freezes and crashes all the way.

I think I have a trial version or something of maya-but I have no chance of getting it to work on this clapped out peice of junk til I get my new super-human Uber-AI busting pooter soonish(hopefully)

Comment

Assuming that you can't afford Maya -- which does have a helluva learning curve, I'm still not very good at it -- Cinema 4D is a nice option. I've not had a chance to play around with Lightwave much, but I've heard it's fairly similar.

Maya PLE, their academic crippled and free version, isn't missing any critical features. Since I have access to 4.5Unlimited I haven't tried it, but I've heard good things about it.

I've been using Maya and C4D on my 350Mhz G4, and it's fairly slow, so I'd expect your pentium to be totally owned. On the flipside, I've also used a rack of 1U dedicated rendering machines, and rendering can still be slow. That's just the way it is. ^_^
                        Nearly all men can stand adversity -- if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.

Comment

Regarding that trial version of Maya, how much RAM is needed to run it. I have 512mb ram, and often about 400 of it free, but it said there wasnt enough free memory to run it X_X
                          *Leader of the 56k rebellion*
                          *Slowing down cable and DSL users, everywhere*

LikitaRenn:"I wanna be added to as many people's sigs as will add me to... their.. sigs.. um.. something..."

Comment

Originally posted by Tankazz
                            Regarding that trial version of Maya, how much RAM is needed to run it. I have 512mb ram, and often about 400 of it free, but it said there wasnt enough free memory to run it X_X
                            That's just a load of crap. I'm was able to run Maya 4 on this machine(albeit slowly) when it only had 64 MB ram.
                            Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia, n. See also Irony.

Comment

I use truespace to do all the mesh work, 'cause it's got a good intuitive interface, and has easy to use csg and deform. I will either use truespace to animate if I'm doing a cinematic animation, or export to milkshape, where I animate and skin for games.

Comment

Working...
                              X