May Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• May Games

Somewhere along the line, publishers decided that releasing their games in Q1 & Q2 would spare them being buried in the holiday rush. As a result, May has been one of the most crowded months in recent memory. This probably sucks if you do something like "budget" or "spend responsibly" or at least "don't spend every last dollar on video games," but for the rest of us this has been quite a month.

The culprits:

Alan Wake is probably the best game so far this year.
    Blur is probably second best, and is likely to "win" as far as hours played goes.
    Red Dead Redemption is great, but not amazing, due to some strange design choices.
    Split/Second rounds out the group, providing some intense action but lacking in the replayability department.

What has everyone else been playing? Have I missed something? Am I wrong about Red Dead Redemption? (Spoiler: No.)
    It's not my fault everything you like is terrible.

Alpha Protocol, but I haven't played it yet.

Synopsis: Spy Fiction meets Deus Ex.

Reviews suggest that the 3rd-person-shooter aspect is unpolished, but the game as a whole is generally good. And also that your fists are deadlier than guns.

Comment

The review I've read didn't really contain anything I'd consider positive. Sounds like the game was pretty much dropped and pushed out the door in an unfinished state.

Comment

Alan Wake is probably the best game so far this year.
        Someone needs to link this. It's not enough paying 70 euros, you still need ads shoved down your throat. At least try and pull it off discreetly.

I may still acquire it, being a consumer hoe and all.

Reviews suggest that the 3rd-person-shooter aspect is unpolished, but the game as a whole is generally good. And also that your fists are deadlier than guns.
        It's buggy, but if you can tolerate one of the worst first three hours ever you'll start having fun.
        "Spera: Ooh! Ooh! You hear that? A bird singing out amidst our desolation. It's a miracle. The miracle called supper."

--Lucifer #28, Breaking & Entering

Comment

It was almost released in May.
          Based on a true story.
          The prequel.

Comment

Originally posted by BiG_D View Post
            Sounds like the game was pretty much dropped and pushed out the door in an unfinished state.
            Does SEGA ever allow anything to be released in a good state?
            Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia, n. See also Irony.

Comment

I have alan wake and the game is such a great game almost at the end dont have to much time to play bc i got ufc 2010 as well.
              I have sex with my hand!

Comment

Originally posted by Salvage View Post
                Does SEGA ever allow anything to be released in a good state?
                Sonic 1/2/3 and Sonic & Knuckles.

After that, all downhill. Actually more like a sheer cliff.

Comment

Forget anything positive I've said about Red Dead Redemption. Not worth the hassle. The cover system in shooters should A) make you less likely to be shot than just standing there, and B) NOT LAUNCH YOU HIGH ENOUGH INTO THE AIR THAT YOU DIE FROM FALL DAMAGE.

Also, the plot is inane, the random encounters are annoying at best and the controls are offensively bad.

Comment

I like that unlike GoW with RDRs cover system glueing yourself behind any tiny pebble doesnt make you invincible since it takes the actual size of the cover and the position of your enemies into account. If your choice of cover gets you shot think about choice of cover more. Ive yet to be rocketed by glitches, worst i ever had was floating boxes, try a full install maybe.

Or try not playing the game. Doesnt seem like you like it much, for whatever weirdo angry reasons XD
                    My leet Thievery Map
                    My leet UT3 Map
                    My leet AS Map

Comment

I'm sticking with the "not playing the game" approach.

The issue with the cover system is that half the time you can't cover on objects that you should be able to, and then the other half the time it glues you to the wrong side of the thing you're trying to cover on. Also the part where it throws you in the air for no reason.

That is but a single issue, though. Faulty mission triggers, half-baked "honour" system, drowning in knee-deep water, and so on. There are too many things here that are poorly designed to recommend the game as a whole. It's like they had a pretty good game, and then decided they hate you and tacked all this other broken crap on top out of spite.

Comment

Wat. Eh ok vv
                        My leet Thievery Map
                        My leet UT3 Map
                        My leet AS Map

Comment

Originally posted by BiG_D View Post
                          It's like they had a pretty good game, and then decided they hate you and tacked all this other broken crap on top out of spite.
                          Apart from the plot, your complaints sound more like bugs they didn't fix before rushing the game out the door. It's been well documented that RDR has a lot of bugs. I totally support you in not playing it for now and it sucks that companies release games with such obvious issues. But, it might be worth coming back to in a couple months to see if the bugs are fixed and try to get your money's worth out of the purchase.

Comment

I think a lot of the problems I have are things that are working entirely as intended, but were just terrible design decisions. But yes, there's definitely bugs as well.

Comment

Metal Slug XX is quite good, though.
                              Based on a true story.
                              The prequel.

Comment

Working...
                              X