Has BCG been acquired by Valve?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has BCG been acquired by Valve?

Just out of curiosity. I know three devs were hired by Valve, but that doesn't mean the entire team was brought in.

I mostly just want a definite word on the subject so I can dispel the myths on the steam forums with hard evidence.
    "Single handedly, you've ruined the fun many were having with the game. Good job Hitler."

Nachmir said it hasn't, so I guess thats /thread.
    "Single handedly, you've ruined the fun many were having with the game. Good job Hitler."

Comment

As far as I'm aware, BCG are a mod team spread all over the world, not a legal entity that can be bought.

If anyone, the "brand" and any associated company would belong to Dalai, but any such thing would not necessarily include people like me or others who've made stuff for BCG projects.

I'm not privy to the details of any deals made between Valve and Dalai+Cythe+solaris, but it seems they've been employed, rather than "bought". Also, FWIW, there have been no secret announcements made to, says mods or other BCG devs about big changes round here or everything here now being under the ownership of Valve.

Comment

Well, the term I used was acquired, and I said those three had been hired by Valve. I never said bought. But yeah, I see what you're saying.

Comment

It just occurred to me: I have no idea what license any of the BCG mods was released under...Were they ever licensed at all?

Not that it matters really, but it sorta piques academic curiosity.
          <DeepQ> In any case, the real discussion was thief rush?
          <Mordengaard> No, the real discussion was Guards Getting Bored
          <DeepQ> oh yea
          <DeepQ> Well, that's what rats are for

Comment

I don't see any mention of a license, but there is a copyright notice on the old Swarm page. Same thing on the Thievery page.
            Based on a true story.
            The prequel.

Comment

When you create a mod, it is technically licensed under the game engine that you used to create your mod. Very rarely do you hear of gaming companies coming in and taking intellectual control of the products that modders make, however.

Comment

Working...
              X