Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nice tip for all of you who have 2 (or more) PCs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice tip for all of you who have 2 (or more) PCs.

If you have 2 PCs and only one connection to the internet you can connect both machines to the internet without buying extra equipment. I use it to play with my bro online at the same time over 56k and I shared this with the Machine.

----------------------------------------------------------
    Make sure: Both machines have Windows XP installed. Both machines are on and can see each other. The machine with the modem is connected to the internet.

Steps to perform on the machine WITH the modem:
    1) Browse to: Start/Programs/Accessories/Communications/Home Networking wizard.
    2) Click next in the welcoming screen.
    3) Click next once more.
    4) Select the first option button and click next.
    5) There should be 2 connections. Select the MODEM connection (not the LAN connection) and click on next.
    6) Leave the defaults and click on next.
    7) Leave the default workgroup (or change it back to the default "MSHOME") and click next.
    8) Once more click next.
    9) Wait until the wizard complete the task.
    10) Continue the wizard until it finishes.
    11) To see that everything is ok, reboot, right click on "My network places" icon, select "Properties" and the modem connection should appear as shared.

Steps to perform on the machine WITHOUT the modem:
    The exact steps as above except in step 4 you should choose option 2 instead of 1.
    Be sure that you choose the same workgroup name for both computers (MSHOME).

Make sure that you power up the machine with the modem first and the other machine second in order to initialize the sharing connection.
    ----------------------------------------------------------

Note that this can be done if the PC with the modem has WXP and the other has W98. You willl need the XP CD to configure it properly though.

Have fun :wink:
    I Need Training!

Maybe make a tutorial out of it?

Comment

Originally posted by Ř·mega
      Maybe make a tutorial out of it?
      I work 11~14 hours per day, including Saturday. You can understand that I don't have the time...
      I Need Training!

Comment

y not just use a router? that's what i do
        This is my cool sig.

Comment

Why not think about the people that don't have/can't afford a router?

Comment

it's pretty sad if u can't afford a cheap little router, i got mine for about $35. if u can't buy that then stop playing thievery so much and get another job.
            This is my cool sig.

Comment

yeah man! i was just tellin machine that i i did exactly that and now can play tut in my basement!!!!!!!!!!! my dad has 9 computers (collects em for a hobby) and i can get on the internet on any of them cuz they are all networked together and only 1 has a 56k modem
              "It is truly a shame that the guards must be kept from the very tools of thier proffesion, but such blatant misuse of gas arrows cannot be tolerated. Alas, that poor burrick..."

Comment

Originally posted by daniel
                it's pretty sad if u can't afford a cheap little router, i got mine for about $35. if u can't buy that then stop playing thievery so much and get another job.
                No need to be quite so rude about it is there?
                I'm cool!

Comment

Originally posted by The_Judge
                  Make sure: Both machines have Windows XP installed. Both machines are on and can see each other.

No one saw this problem I guess so I'll exploit it. When you say "see" you mean they have to look at eachother?! LOL!

But seriously.. You should go into the steps of how to make them "see" eachother...at no point in your steps did you tell anyone how to connect the 2 PCs together, so I have one PC sitting across the room with no modem and set for MSHOME workgroup. I can't do anything online with him, but he can look at the other computer!

Comment

You can also do this with Win98SE, except it's called internet connection sharing in 98SE.

Comment

Yep, worked for me Judge, TY! :roll:
                      ~TuF~

Comment

Plus routers can be damn annoying... I want my main PC to have unrestricted access to the net!

Comment

Just get a hub! netgear.com

Comment

Originally posted by Dalai
                            Plus routers can be damn annoying... I want my main PC to have unrestricted access to the net!
                            Then place it in a DMZ -- all incoming traffic will be forwarded to that PC, and yet other computers can still access the 'net just fine.
                            Nearly all men can stand adversity -- if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.

Comment

Even placing the PC in the DMZ can give problems. If you followed the router fiasco with the C&C Generals release, you'd know what I mean...

Comment

Working...
                              X