Overclocking n00b Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overclocking n00b Question

Hey guys. My first post here in a while is gonna be a barrage of questions. Any help is appreciated.

Relevant System Specs
    MSI KT333 Ultra with FSB at 133 (BIOS at 5.7)
    AMD 2200+
    Koolace Water Cooled Case (With attatchments for processor and graphics card)
    512 megs of 333 Samsung RAM

1. Should I overclock? Not just my chip, (I don't think I wanna "unlock" it) but my FSB or things like that.

2. How? (In Layman's terms please. I'm a semi-geek.)

3. I have the new Fuzzy Logic version. (Overclocking utility from MSI) I do NOT have a proc fan since it's water-cooled, but it still says a speed. What do I do about it? Will it effect anything?

4. My proc-based thermal probe says my temp is usually 35-36 Celcius when gaming. Fuzzy Logic says my temp is 46 Celcius when gaming. Why?

5. Should I use the auto-clock feature on Fuzzy Logic? Good idea?

6. What are my chances on screwing stuff up?

7. Should I get a fan for my northbridge? It didn't ship with one, but...

8. Can I stick a 3000+ in my board or will it crap out? What are it's limits?

I need safe speeds! All other info is available on request. I really appreciate this!
    http://www.insult2injury.org
    -end of transmission-

Heya Ace. Welcome to the TUT community.
    I don't know about the rest you ask, but I can tell you one thing about #6:
    Fear Murphy's Law!
    I Need Training!

Comment

What I don't understand is why you would need anything faster than what you have already.

Comment

Why? Because... I... Well... SHADDAP! I WANT BECAUSE I CAN!

Seriously though, it's the reason I bought the Koolance case. I only want it faster if it's not gonna harm my hardware. Why not get free performance?

I'm not exactly new here by the way, but I suppose my posts are easy to miss.
        http://www.insult2injury.org
        -end of transmission-

Comment

Just because you got a new coolance system doesn't mean there's no point in it unless you overclock. The cooler your PC is, the more stable it is. If you overclock, you'll likely get better performance, but should also expect more crashes.
          ]V[]V[

Comment

Rule of thumb to use here.

1. if you have to ask you probably shouldn't attempt it
            2. Don't attempt anything like this until you are a full acreddited Geek,
            semi-geek doesn't cut it.

Comment

doesn't matter how cool you can keep your system, overclocking makes more problems than is worth it. Overclocking is a thing of the past when a jump from 266mhz to 300 made you uber 1337.

Comment

What the... A how to "Overclock a n00b" thread?! How bizarre...
                "There's no problem that can't be solved with a big crate!"

Comment

"When in doubt, add more power." - Tim 'the toolman' Taylor - Home improvement.

Comment

Originally posted by Ghostly apparition
                    Yes, but everyone who knows how to do this didn't at some point, and had to learn.

2. Don't attempt anything like this until you are a full acreddited Geek, semi-geek doesn't cut it.
                    See my response to #1.

Comment

Originally posted by LaughingRat
                      Yes, but everyone who knows how to do this didn't at some point, and had to learn.
                      But maybe he was the guy who designed the CPUs? Or maybe some rich dude that could afford it?
                      ]V[]V[

Comment

Working...
                      X