New Servers Needed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Servers Needed!

Hey guys, I just wanted to say that I think we need two new servers, I dont think there are either of these:

1. A server for newbies only, would have to be moderated fairly well to make sure more experienced people dont get the same ole lame idea to go in and kill everyone, would be a place to teach people the basics and let them try stuff out

2. A server for FM maps only, would have all the FM maps from the TOB, shadowguild, ect, so mappers can have people actually play their maps online!

I think these two servers would really help some people out and help widen the thievery community, what do you guys think? Anybody want to host some servers?
    "Shivers running down my spine,
    whos blood? I know its mine.
    -I am The Hunted"

GBH

Originally posted by killed
    1. A server for newbies only, would have to be moderated fairly well to make sure more experienced people dont get the same ole lame idea to go in and kill everyone, would be a place to teach people the basics and let them try stuff out
    This idea has been discussed in depth in the past by some of the server admins. While we all agree that this is an excellent idea, it is extremely difficult to keep track of all of the inexperienced and experienced players alike. The problem arises when some of the experienced players change names and attempt to play as "n00bs" themselves, meaning a lot of time would have to be spent verifying players "credentials". It is simply too much work.

There are a few who will gladly host games for n00bs and will give them some basic training, but this will only be done on a case-by-case basis. All anyone needs to do is ask and someone will point you to the right person.

2. A server for FM maps only, would have all the FM maps from the TOB, shadowguild, ect, so mappers can have people actually play their maps online!
    Another good idea!

I think these two servers would really help some people out and help widen the thievery community, what do you guys think? Anybody want to host some servers?
    If you need some help setting up a server, there are many here with plenty of expertise who will gladly offer you some assistance ...
    No Linux, No Choice.
    Know Linux, Know Choice.

Comment

Well, the TCO server has all the custom maps, but the catch is you have to call a vote to play them. We decided not to add them to the map rotation for people that don't have the maps.

Comment

I would host the server myself any time I could, but it wont work with my cable provider (long story) so just wanted to post this thread

thats true about the newbie servers, I guess that could be a problem

I didnt know that about the TCO server, thats really cool

still I think there should be a server for just FM missions, if I can help at all to set this up, just ask, and Ill do anything I can
        -I am The Hunted"

GBH

Comment

Let me add a third suggestion--a good ThiefMatch server, one that is up on a regular basis for more than a couple of hours at a time. The ThiefJapan server unfortunately does not work well for many players due to high pings and lag. Try Thiefmatch, you'll like it!

Comment

KewlAzServer has most FM's, and they are in rotation. Get bent if you haven't DLed the user maps yet.. you should know better! otherwise..just let it DL to your cache!

Comment

I'd be willing to run an FM server while im not using my PC if someone wants to show me how to do it.

Comment

I don't like the idea of segregating FM maps. I think certain ones should be put into regular rotation. As a handy guide as to what the "certain ones" are, simply support which maps have been included in TurfWars. FM maps entered into TurfWars must be voted on, and therefore once approved, worth downloading.

Making a newbie server is great. I don't think it needs to be restricted at all, though. Simply dumb down the AI setting to Normal or one below Normal.

24/7 ThiefMatch server: YES!
                "Garlisk's got a lov-el-y bunch of coconuts."

Comment

Noob server = Already been talked about = Idea Failed miserably!

What good is a noob server full of noobs that only play against AI and other noob players? While I understand that it can be frustrating for a new player to come on to Crackaz and get his ass raped 4 times in 2 minutes, thats the best way to learn! That's how we all learned, no sense making things easier so that when the newbies finally think they are ready to go to the bigboys server, they STILL get their ass handed to them since skilled veterans know waaaay more tricks. So unless this noob server is gonna be chaperoned by a skilled veteran at all times to teach the the right ways, there is no value to it. The best bet is for noob's to join a server with only a few people playing and the veterans who know everyone should be able to tell by their playing style if they are new and offer help right there on the spot. Thats how I helped people like Kiech, and others... i asked if they'd like assistance walking thru the levels once or twice so they get the feel for it... thats the best teaching technique IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by KewlAzMe
                    [snip]
                    What, isn't it bad enough that the pros steal all my tricks?
                    ]V[]V[

Comment

Originally posted by KewlAzMe
                      The best bet is for noob's to join a server with only a few people playing and the veterans who know everyone should be able to tell by their playing style if they are new and offer help right there on the spot. Thats how I helped people like Kiech, and others... i asked if they'd like assistance walking thru the levels once or twice so they get the feel for it... thats the best teaching technique IMHO.
                      I was there when you did that once. I really liked how you asked everyone if it was ok with them for you to help the player.
                      Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia, n. See also Irony.

Comment

Originally posted by MortalMonkey
                        What, isn't it bad enough that the pros steal all my tricks?
                        Trick 1: Sit in a shadow till everyone wipes eachother out.
                        Trick 2: In Skelston, Spend most of time on roof of center house.
                        Trick 3: Sit back and watch Kewl Wipe out a good chunk of guards.
                        Trick 4: Take out and guards that Kewl missed.
                        Trick 5: Win!

LOL :lol:

Comment

maybe i'll make my server only FM's...seeing how LR wil never get around to putting my map on the server...that donkey poo flicker
                          http://profiles.myspace.com/users/7360475
                          -=:ToB:=- / :]eDe[: Site: www.endarkend.net
                          -=:ToB:=-Forums: www.endarkend.net/phpbb/
                          -=:ToB:=-PayingSins (TUT MAP)- http://www.endarkend.net/downloads/m...oB_Payback.zip

Comment

If you want the maps you're better downloading them from a website as the cached ones delete themselves after a certain time (if you don't use them, that is).

ChainsawDeath Website is a good choice :wink:

I also try to run a Thiefmatch server fairly often but I don't have a separate machine for this so it's not up all the time - particularly if I want to play Thievery! :twisted: It does have a lot of FMs on it though (the ones I think would be good for Thiefmatch, anyway).

Look out for '~TuF~ Thievmatch Server' under the Thiefmatch tab - add it to your favourites too since sometimes the Thiefmatch server doesn't work and times out a lot
                            One of the three LANers of the Apocalypse!
                            -
                            The Unforgiven Casual Gaming Group - New Members Welcome

Comment

I still think we need a newbie server, I think a lot of people have probably started thievery but then quit because they get killed too fast and give up, Its cool that some people ask if anyone wants help, but not enough people ask, and anyway if you see someone with the name 'taffer' come in to the game, you could kindly point them to the newbie server and ask them if theyd like to have someone teach them the basics, another thing is the newbie server would have the smallest maps from the game, and maybe only 2 or 3 maps in rotation on this server so newbies can learn them fast, the set of 2 or three maps could change every now and then, just keep it low so people dont feel so overwhelmed

as for the FM server, I think its great if people want to leave them in the rotation of their servers, I just think we should have a server JUST for FM maps, its not there to restrict any other servers, just there to play FM maps
                              -I am The Hunted"

GBH

Comment

Working...
                              X