Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thievery Economics, part 2

How much is 1 loot in today's money?

A good question that I decided to undertake. From my very unscientific research of looking at only one item in the Thievery universe and comparing it with real-world prices for the same item, I came to the following conclusion:

1 loot = US $0.40, give or take US $0.15.

I started with one item commonly found in both worlds: a slice of cheese. Below is one example of cheese.

I found that most cheeses on this website sell for about $12.00 (the picture above goes for $25, but that's an outlier). But these are whole cheese wheels, not cheese slices like in Thievery. Well, it takes 6 cheese slices in Thievery to make a whole cheese wheel. Each cheese slice costs 5 loot, therefore an entire cheese wheel costs 30 loot.

At this point it's simple math. 12 dollars divided by 30 loot equals 0.4 dollars per loot, or 2.5 loot per dollar. Give or take $.015/loot for error in my representative population.

Further discussion can commence below. For instance, one can deliberate on the possible reasons for this discrepency in currency. Such as, perhaps all of this looting is having a toll on inflation, or why the rent that is due is $200. I leave it to you to discuss the implications.
    "Garlisk's got a lov-el-y bunch of coconuts."

you must be really bored

so fire arrows are only $40, huh? i htink i will become a real-life fire spammer!!
    This is my cool sig.

Comment

Bourgeios would be so much easy if thieves knew how to sell food and get their loot for it... I mean... All that food is worth more then the 1000 there's scattered troughout the whole level in real loot.

Comment

...or pawn off the equipment they bought for the mission but didn't use...

Comment

Originally posted by Buho
          ...or pawn off the equipment they bought for the mission but didn't use...
          Naw, they'll save that for another time...

Comment

BTW, I found Thievery Economics, part 1 :grin:

Oh, and yeah. I'm bored at work. Like LaughingRat, I have a kooshy government job.

Comment

I just don't understand why thieves are so limited in looting residences. There's so much valuable stuff you can't take along.

Frying pans, clocks, bed sheets.

Comment

Originally posted by -=V12US=-
                I just don't understand why thieves are so limited in looting residences. There's so much valuable stuff you can't take along.

Frying pans, clocks, bed sheets.
                See LaughingRat's sig.

And damn him for using it before I did.
                Nearly all men can stand adversity -- if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.

Comment

Originally posted by Buho
                  I found that most cheeses on this website sell for about $12.00 (the picture above goes for $25, but that's an outlier). But these are whole cheese wheels, not cheese slices like in Thievery. Well, it takes 6 cheese slices in Thievery to make a whole cheese wheel. Each cheese slice costs 5 loot, therefore an entire cheese wheel costs 30 loot.
                  Your calculations are off. There's a near complete wheel of cheese in DE. There are 7 pieces in it, and it's missing two, making 9 in a complete wheel.

Comment

Ohhh, but that's a different kinda cheese! Try and pick it up.
                    You will see it goes in another item slot then the cheese you buy for 5loot.

Comment

OMG! This is BIG! Imagine... Thievery the cause of mass inflation in the GDP! ops: :cry: :?
                      TCO – Retired
                      Former TCO Head of Intelligence – Retired

Comment

Nice Report soldier.

Was that an homework in economic?
                        ------

------"

Comment

Ayant suivi moi meme des cours avancé d'économie et de statistique je considère que l'échantillonnage simple que vous avez pris (dans ce cas le fromage) est nettement insuffisant. Pour avoir un nombre valable vous auriez du prendre au moins 5 articles et faire une moyenne.Ensuite,y déduire la cote Z des valeurs monétares.etc...

------

------"

Comment

LOL !!!!!!!!!
                            Someone did is homework GJ Moss....rofl :roll:
                            [KYO] - Knock You Out

Comment

mmm fromage. :grin:

Comment

Working...
                              X