Form or Function?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Form or Function?

Visuals, I want an immersive environment.
    0%
    Gameplay, visuals are distracting.
    0%
    Visuals, but only just, if it doesn't play well then whats the point?
    0%
    Gameplay, its the vital component, but don't under-sell the display aspects, they can add to gameplay.
    0%
    Last edited by Sisu; 4 Aug 2011, 01:21 AM. Reason: Scrubbing online presence.

I think function (playability and balance) have to take precedence. Once that's accomplished, however, the form (aesthetic appeal and realism) are necessary to give a map the immersiveness that makes this a great game.

Comment

I have a somewhat unique playstyle... but I tend to use everything I see. I often look like I'm humping the walls cause I'm always jumping around looking for new things to mantle. I'm always trying to find uses for the useless frobable items that lay everywhere. I always read all the books and scrolls. Personally atmosphere and style are VERY important to me as a gamer regardless of what I'm playing. I agree that gameplay is the most important aspect but atmosphere is a close second. Try to have things amke sense. For example... why are there large, easy to use vents in prison cells in break out and why do the prisoners have full thief gear? This 'could' be explained in storyline, but I'd much rather have everything seem real and fit well.
      "They say we cleaned out the royal treasury, and took the kings wedding ring off his finger as he slept!" "That must have taken an entire team of our best sneaks." "I heard it was lieutenant Jarvis." "Impossible!"
      -Two unknown CTG probies

Comment

Both are extremely important.

But the most important is BALANCE.
        JM

Comment

Originally posted by Lurox
          Both are extremely important.

But the most important is BALANCE.
          :grin:

LUROX THE KEEPER!

Seriously. That's what keepers do.

Maintain balance.

And I agree totally.

:wink:
          "I can teach you how to bottle fame, brew glory,
          even stopper death - if you aren't as big a bunch
          of dunderheads as I usually have to teach." -- Professor Severus Snape.

Comment

Shhhhhhhhhh :wink:
            There are those to whom knowledge is a shield,and those to whom it is a weapon.
            Neither view is balanced, but one is less unwise.
            -
            Keeper Annals

Comment

Originally posted by The Keepers
              Shhhhhhhhhh :wink:
              :lol:
              "I can teach you how to bottle fame, brew glory,
              even stopper death - if you aren't as big a bunch
              of dunderheads as I usually have to teach." -- Professor Severus Snape.

Comment

Working...
              X