Newbies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbies

I'm not sure if anyone else had this problem, or if it was just me, but when I downloaded thievery a few days back I found that there were quite a few weird and wonderful phrases, sayings etc that I had NO IDEA about.

To save newbies to Thievery getting all confused in a game when some veteran shouts to them "Quik BJ that guard" :? (it damn well confused me) I thought I'd start this thread for all newbies to ask questions about thievery for the rest of you to answer.

OK here we go... WTF 'mario'ing???? I'veheard it about twnty times and it still makes no sense to me.

Also, why is it that despite having a 56k modem, and having my gain apparently.. erm... gained.. that my connection is always 31'200 and therefore my ping larger than a whore's vagina!! (I know it aint specifically thievery related but it can be very annoying learning to play online when the guard you try and BlackJack (I know it now) is actually clobbering you and NOT looking away from you, oblivious.

Plz help me!!
    Cheers

PT
    You ain't seen me, right!?

mario KOing is when a thief jumps on a guards head or vice versa, it obviously results in a KO (like mario jumping on his enemies)

stacking is when guards put crates or other such objects on top of objective items

BJ is black jacking

KO is knock out

chest is what you resupply with as a guard

fire spamming is when a guard shoots firebolts in places suspected thieves might be, and then runs into the flame to look around, the guard does this over and over

DMing or DM thief is a thief that KOs or kills all guards in order to win

traps are mines, whistlers, and caltrops

flare scanning is the act of lighting up flares and throwing them into a shadow, lighting another, throwing it, and so on to light up an area, also, running with flares through shadows to look for thieves even though you havent seen a trace of them can be considered flare scanning

shadow slashing or SSing is the act of a guard running through shadows swinging his sword over and over in order to find a thief
    "Shivers running down my spine,
    whos blood? I know its mine.
    -I am The Hunted"

GBH

Comment

BJ = blackjack. WHoever it was wanted you to knock the guard out.

Mario = jumping from a high place onto someones head and KOing/killing them.

Can't help you with connection other than a lot of servers currently up are teh suck.
      Garlisk's Fantasy Art Gallery
      www.usyetzer.com

Comment

DMing or DM thief is a thief that KOs or kills all guards in order to win
        This comes from DeathMatch. Thieves playing like its a deathmatch (DM) and not thievery.
        Garlisk's Fantasy Art Gallery
        www.usyetzer.com

Comment

when someone says tag me, shoot tag bolt on him, so he can tag-scan the area.

CS - circlestrafing - KO technique, very deadly

Frontal KO - ko from da front, due to high ping (i think)

vent hunter - foolish guard, who goes to vents killing thieves. it is usually guard, who ends dead

AIs - bots, non human guards

lag - high ping

and when someone says vote, press loadout key (usually V i think) select vote and vote yes or no.

Comment

Ghosting: Deliberately not KOing or killing guards (AI or human) and trying to win the map without being heard or seen.

Comment

RLFing -from Rodent Liberation Front Guild- means supreme guarding using advanced techniques and strategies that leads many thieves to death. Usually thieves start whining afterwards about using "lame" tactics etc so be carefull when you decide to RLF.
              I Need Training!

Comment

Camper - A guard who basically just guards a specific spot on the level (usually an objective or an oversided loot). The term comes from fact that they stand still on the spot patiently waiting for the thief to come. Some folks out there are experts on camping but I wil leave you the fun of finding them all.

AI spaming - very common in levels like Spider where there are lots of AIs and very few ways in. Its like camping but instead of a failable human you get lots of AIs on a tight spot maing the place virtually unbreacheble.

The V12US metod - a thief that uses a sword against guards, not to kill them (primarily) but to reduce their ubber close comabt skills by blocking.

Flash - Using a flashbomb to blind guards, very effective when they are chasing you

Shadowslahser - a guard that goes swinging his sword on every shadow he sees and eventually finds a thief.
                Feel the power of the

Comment

Spawn rape - guards run to the spot where thieves spawns and kill them there . Very lame tactic, can result to kick.

Comment

Originally posted by koraX
                    Spawn rape - guards run to the spot where thieves spawns and kill them there . Very lame tactic, can result to kick.
                    Not only kick, but BAN as well if you do it on purpose.

Choose one of the following words,
                    BJ
                    Camp
                    Flashbomb
                    Potion
                    Firebolt
                    AI
                    DM
                    Shadowslashing
                    Type-killing
                    etc..

and add it before the word "whore" e.g. BJ whore, DM whore etc...

You will surely be called one of the above names in game wether you are or not. It's a tradition, don't worry about it.
                    I Need Training!

Comment

Playstyles
                      • CS - Circle Strafing, running up to a guard in broad daylight and nipping around behind them, while bonking them on the head.
                      • DM - Death matching, a derogatory term used to brand the more violently inclined among us.
                      • Ghoster - Someone who doesn't KO, and is generally very good at not being seen. Often used as a compliment, as ghosting is the ultimate style of play. Obviously.
                      • Spec - spectator, someone who either was nice enough to let you play without them, or got KO'd by a DMer. (see below)

Actions
                      • KO - Knock out. ie: "KO that guard!"
                      • BJ - BlackJack "watch out, you'll get BJ'd"
                      • Mario - pouncing on an opponent to KO/Kill them. (can be done as guard and thief, try it out.) The spec's will cheer.

Inventory
                      • hp - Health Potion
                      • sp - Speed Potion
                      • cat - catfall potion
                      • bh - broadhead arrow
                      • vine - vine arrow
                      • water - water arrow
                      • moss - moss arrow
                      • crack - crack arrow
                      • trops - caltrops
                      • fb - flashbomb

Map specifics
                      • evi - "Evidence", objective item found in th-aquatone and th-gerome.
                      • A / B - refers to the doors in th-Breakout. "got A key"
                      • Greenie - the big spider in th-asylum
                      • rect - rectory from th-korman
                      • DE - th-DarkenedEnlightenment

Comment

Someone should sticky this somewhere. Or add it to a newbie guide. Good stuff, guys!
                        "Garlisk's got a lov-el-y bunch of coconuts."

Comment

Originally posted by The_Judge
                          RLFing -from Rodent Liberation Front Guild- means supreme guarding using advanced techniques and strategies that leads many thieves to death. Usually thieves start whining afterwards about using "lame" tactics etc so be carefull when you decide to RLF.
                          RLF'ing also refers to the act of whining about lame thieves when above mentioned tactics fail to stop a well coordinated and/or skilled group of thieves.

Comment

I don't like the term Mario. I just think it's a stupid name. Can't you guys come up with anything in the Thief age style?

Comment

"Ko while airborn"?... "Benny"?....
                              Just ideas...

Comment

Working...
                              X