Essay on the word Taffer. (Semi-response to "Newbies&q

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Essay on the word Taffer. (Semi-response to "Newbies&q

Ok, I am posting this because of Plumsie guy's newbie post. It is my UNFINISHED and UNREVISED essay on the word "Taffer." I think it helps put things into context, and might even make you laugh, if i'm really really lucky. Here it is:

This is an essay on the word Taffer. Some of you may be wondering what a taffer is, especially if you never played a game known as Thief: The Dark Project. Some may even be wondering what it is after playing Thief: The Dark Project. Fear not! Like I said, this is an essay, which means this will explain everything, at the expense of being boring. Ill try to skip all the boring I can…and replace it with Blah Blah Blah. Blah Blah Blah.
    This section will explain the word taffer, where it comes from, and the contexts it was used in…which is all I have to come up with the facts of this paper.
    The word taffer is from the computer game Thief: The Dark Project, where you play a thief sneaking into fat lords’ mansions and taking their goodies. However, every now and again, you will come upon guards who may hear or see you. They will then try to find you and chop you into little itsy bits. In the process of finding you they sometimes shout, “Where did the taffer go!?” Or “Get back here, you taffer!” This may lead to the false assumption that a taffer is a thief. But, while sneaking around, you may hear guards chatting… “What, no paw hooks? You must be taffing me!” one guard might say in astonishment.
    What we have here are two forms of taffer: Taffer and Taffing. Taffer is a noun, a person most of the time. No, no, not William H. Taft-er. Anyway… We also have Taffing, a verb, the action of taffing someone. The root word is most likely Taff, so in order to define Taffer and Taffing, we shall find out what Taff is.

Taff; n. 1. Something said or done to cause taffership. 2. The art of taffing. 3. Something that taffs. 4. Something not to be taken seriously; a Taff. 5.Blah 6.Blah 7.Blah (i.e. “This whole paper is one big taff”)
    But a taffer in the way guards used the word is no joking matter…or is it? Hahaha! Ahem. No, maybe what they mean is “When I get you, you’ll be the taffingstock of the whole town.” Quite possibly, the guards don’t realize just how serious that taffer is. Guards aren’t known to be bright.

Thats it. It ROUGHLY translates to: Taff=joke
    Taffer= joker

but you can do pretty much what you want with this word. Just taff around with it a bit, and you'll see what I mean.
    Garlisk's Fantasy Art Gallery
    www.usyetzer.com

Somebody add this to the "500 Reasons you know you play too much Thievery" thread.

Comment

:lol:
      It's not my fault everything you like is terrible.

Comment

What about the "ancient defeated foe" aspect of the word "taffer" ?
        Ah, to be a hero. Keeping such company...

Comment

ahhh...yes, but not just - to taff, or the taffer, or taffing, but what about, the taffeee;

Taffee; n. 1) he who gets himself into a sticky situation. 2) a sticky, gooy, sickly sweet substance which sticks to your teeth and upsets your stomach. 3) That other thief that got BJ'd cause of something you did. 4) The poor bugger that guard was gloating about. ( )

:roll:

(...sorry)
          ...and all is silent, save the voice of the clock...

Comment

Taffer is used to mean joker, one who jokes or messes around, thief, and the act of stealing.

"You're taffing with me!?"
            "Just wait till I find you, tafferboy!"
            "Someone's taffed our valuables! Look alive!"
            "Well don't just make taff over it! Light it up!"
            (AKA Dresden)
            Despite all my rage, I am still just a dwarf in a cage.

Comment

Taffer

Taff

Ya'll are just plain silly.

Comment

No no, LR. You are looking at it from the wrong pov. Dictionary.com has an interesting deffinition:

TAFF

Kiech
                www.thecrackaz.com
                Offical Pimp of the CTG!
                Kiech

Comment

3) That other thief that got BJ'd cause of something you did.

oh, THAT kind of BJ....
                  ~*~Likita~*~

Comment

You have to understand that the word is used in the old English lexicon. So I doubt you would find it in a regular american dictionary.
                    FOR GODS GLORY!!

Comment

Originally posted by hallowedwarrior
                      You have to understand that the word is used in the old English lexicon. So I doubt you would find it in a regular american dictionary.
                      That would mean it's not a word in modern English then.

Likita: Again, marry me.

Comment

You know when asked about the word taffer, the devs said they just made it up.

Comment

Originally posted by LaughingRat
                          Originally posted by hallowedwarrior
                          That would mean it's not a word in modern English then.

Likita: Again, marry me.
                          WOMEN ARE EEEEVIL!

[email protected]
                          The only constant is change.
                          (And I wouldn't have it any other way.)

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha-Omega
                            You know when asked about the word taffer, the devs said they just made it up.
                            The thievery devs didn't make it up.
                            We aren't even sure if the Thief series devs did come up with it.
                            There's a rumor that it came from old english... but I am more the "thief devs made it up" explanation.
                            JM

Comment

Until I came to Thievery, I always thought it was "tapper," "tappin' around," etc. and a convinient made-up alternative that fits the thief-universe for the robust f-word. Works for me.
                              "Garlisk's got a lov-el-y bunch of coconuts."

Comment

Working...
                              X