Selling The Thievery mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Selling The Thievery mod

I was in Kmart the other day when i found the "Tactical Ops" mod for 10 dollars. Its kinda nice, you can either take the time to download the 150 megs or buy the mod. I think if you devs patented Thievery and got it on the shelfs of bestbuy and such, it would get alot more popularity. Besides, people wouldn't be forced to buy it, they could download it also.

However, if you are like me, with a 56k i would have bought tactical ops if i hadn't already downloaded it.....
    "It is truly a shame that the guards must be kept from the very tools of thier proffesion, but such blatant misuse of gas arrows cannot be tolerated. Alas, that poor burrick..."

Originally posted by Thief13x
    I was in Kmart the other day when i found the "Tactical Ops" mod for 10 dollars. Its kinda nice, you can either take the time to download the 150 megs or buy the mod. I think if you devs patented Thievery and got it on the shelfs of bestbuy and such, it would get alot more popularity. Besides, people wouldn't be forced to buy it, they could download it also.

However, if you are like me, with a 56k i would have bought tactical ops if i hadn't already downloaded it.....
    They'd make maybe a few K of profits, and then get sued for several tons by Looking glass and whatnot more.

Comment

LGS wouldn't give a care (they umm don't exist anymore...) ISA might be pissed off, they will probably make a thief multiplayer one day. Eidos will hit you in the middle of the night and you won't be heard of again.

Also I don't know what issues would have to be resolved about the unreal engine usage.

Comment

Suuuuuure, and everyone lives in the center of the world just like you.
        Just think of the trouble they would have, licensing the MOD, finding a publisher, and actuallly making it sell
        Nope, its still beta, I wouldnt mind to buy it, but not a beta.....
        Besides, buying it now wouldnt save you from huge patches and every patch that comes out makes TUT so diferent
        Feel the power of the

Comment

Good luck, Looking Glass does not exist as a company anymore, and thus cannot sue you. The ones you are looking for are EA. I think. The Big Daddy company that decided to disband LG or absorb it or whatever else sort of pre-cambriatic acts of carnivorism that they use now-a-days.

PS. TEH LAZERMANE IS BACK.

Fun for me.

LM
          Sh33p! Shaepard i yam!

Where be that taffer Williams?

Comment

money from thievery == big-ass lawsuit by Eidos.

Eidos won't even let the license slide for Thief images so shirts and such can be made, what makes you think they'll allow the gameplay to be aped?
            I'm not so bad... Once you get to know me.

Comment

TacOps was awesome before it went retail, after it did it lost something. I'm not sure if I can quantify it, but it wasn't nearly as fun.

On a related tangent, TacOps had a couple awesome ads they ran in various magazines. If anyone has a copy of one of them (the ad), I'd be quite grateful for a scan, or even better an original image file. The one I remember had a mostly black background, a couple screenshots, and the following text:

"Daddy, where's Afghanistan?"
              "Level three, son."

Or something like that. This was long before Septemeber 11th and the military action into there, so it wasn't a political commentary, just an amusing ad. There wasn't either an Afghanistan map or "levels" in the mod, but I just really liked that ad.

I'll be quiet now.
              Nearly all men can stand adversity -- if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.

Comment

Good luck, Looking Glass does not exist as a company anymore, and thus cannot sue you. The ones you are looking for are EA. I think. The Big Daddy company that decided to disband LG or absorb it or whatever else sort of pre-cambriatic acts of carnivorism that they use now-a-days.
                EA = Electronic Arts, who had nothing to do with Thief.

I think you ment Eidos. :wink:

Comment

Yea,
                  Tac ops got rights off Infrograms though.

Then you got the whole thief 3 thing...

don't expect to ever be able to buy this mod.

Even though i'd like to pay $30 for it,
                  I'm a collecter of boxes and such.

(Own every Unreal logo'd box out, including aot )
                  deserve victory

Comment

now why in the hell would ISA be able to sue you for selling somthing that you created? Its not like anything was even taken from the original thief project except the idea.

But sueing because someone else improved your idea would not stick, that would be like FORD sueing Chevy for making cars because they socalled "invented the car". I think it would be really great to go for somthing like that.
                    "It is truly a shame that the guards must be kept from the very tools of thier proffesion, but such blatant misuse of gas arrows cannot be tolerated. Alas, that poor burrick..."

Comment

ISA can't sue anyone. As has been stated at least once in this thread.

ISA is a development company. They do not own the rights to Thief.

Eidos, however, is a Publishing house. They DO own the right to Thief.

Thievery is based, by the admission of not only the entire dev team, but the entire community, on Thief. It has alway been advertised as "Multiplayer Thief". The ONLY reason what we're doing is legal is because we're not making money from it. That's it. If we start making money, we start violating copyright, and we open ourselves up for huge lawsuits.

You analogy does not work because Chevy makes different models of cars than Ford. For your analogy to work, it would have to be illegal for anyone to MAKE a video game of any kind. Ford can't take a Chevy truck and make a duplicate of it and market it as the new Ford truck. That's illegal.
                      I'm not so bad... Once you get to know me.

Comment

Originally posted by Thwark
                        You analogy does not work because Chevy makes different models of cars than Ford.
                        yeah but Thievery is different from thief . Maybe i will contact Eidos and ask for their oppinion about this, if you devs don't mind of course....

Comment

Presently, Ion Storm Austin and (presumably) Eidos Interactive view the Thievery mod favorably. I suspect they'll have no problems with TUT so long as it doesn't interfere with their ability to profit off the Thief franchise.

If the devs really wanted to go retail, the best bet would be through Eidos itself. That is what they do, after all.

Comment

<cough> engine license <cough>

Wasn't it just because TACOPS was picked up by large publisher that could buy a license that it went retail?

Comment

omg!! a retail box!! kinda hard to see, could some one make it bigger maybe?
                              This is my cool sig.

Comment

Working...
                              X