Mutators, mutators, mutators

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mutators, mutators, mutators

I intend this as a thread where people can post their mutator(s).
    I'll start off with the only unb0rked (AFAIK) mutator I've made so far, the Torch Snuffer.

What it does:
    From the game starts, the TorchSnuffer sits there and snuffs (extinguishes) random torches throughout the map.

Installation:
    Unzip the TorchSnuffer.u and TorchSnuffer.int files to your UT\system folder, and the ThMutators.ini if you haven't got one already*. If you do have the file, just cut&paste everything from the one in the zip to the one in the system folder (below everything else).
    Now start a new multiplayer game and add the TUT Torch Snuffer mutator, and you're good to go.

Configuration:
    Open the ThMutators.ini file in your ststem folder, and take a look at the lines beneath [TorchSnuffer.MTorchSnuffer]:
    MinSnuffTime=0
    MaxSnuffTime=600
    OneTorchSnuffTimeAdd=400
    bTorchNumDependant=True
    This is what they do:
    MinSnuffTime - the minimum time (in seconds) it waits before it snuffs a new torch.
    MaxSnuffTime - the maximum time (in seconds) it waits before it snuffs a new torch.
    OneTorchSnuffTimeAdd - This one's a bit more complicated. This number is divided by the number of lit torches, and adds the result to the MinSnuffTime. That means that if only one torch is lit, it will in this case take a minimum of 400 seconds for the torch to go out, while if 20 torches are lit, it will take a minimum of 20 seconds for one of the torches to go out.
    bTorchNumDependant - This is a bool (can be either true or false) that decides if the OneTorchSnuffTimeAdd should be added to the MinSnuffTime or not.

Bugs & suggestions:
    If you've found any bugs or got any suggestions on this mutator, just email or PM me and I'll see what I can do.

*I'm hoping that other mutator makers will agree with me that using only one configuration file for all TUT mutators would be more easy, so I suggest we should all use "ThMutators" for that purpose.
    ]V[]V[

Good stuff MM. Im working on combining two mutators into one for matrix style slow mo.

Comment

There is a Mutator like that Kewl... And you can do wall run...
      hehe.... this is a sig no?

Comment

Originally posted by Kain
        There is a Mutator like that LR... And you can do wall run...
        Huh?

Comment

From this thread: http://www.thieveryut.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=1548

Originally posted by The_Dan
          Torch-Extinguisher: Makes torches randomly go out, in the level, over time. Taken from my map & currently being converted into mutator-form.
          I've given up hope on my scripting for now; whenever I start something AND make it public knowledge, someone else just decides to do it aswell.

(I am actually scripting something at the moment, but I'm not gonna say what it is because I don't want anyone else to start working on it aswell, just to piss me off)

Comment

Originally posted by The_Dan
            (I am actually scripting something at the moment, but I'm not gonna say what it is because I don't want anyone else to start working on it aswell, just to piss me off)
            If you tell me what it is, I PROMISE not to start working on it!

Comment

Originally posted by LaughingRat
              Huh?
              Matrix moves and 2 other Mutators...

Comment

Name: Poltergeists
                Description: Invisible AI throws household objects around at random and occasionally moves to new "haunt" based on the pathnode with the most surrounding throwable objects.

Name: Haunts
                Description: Turns AI into haunts on any level. Changes skin, sounds, and speed. Meant for Co-op games.
                Status: Skins, speed work. Currently in limbo since these were *sort of* implemented in Souls Harbor. If there is any interest I may resume this project.

Name: Loadout Optimizer
                Description: Keep track of how many of each item you buy during loadout and how many you use before death/level end. I intend to have it collect data in an INI file over time. At some point in the future one would conceivably export/analyze the data with a *cough* Perl script and find out how spending habits should be altered for any given level or team.

Like my avatars?

Comment

Originally posted by LaughingRat
                  Huh?
                  Matrix moves and 2 other Mutators...
                  Nono, why did you direct that comment at ME?

Comment

Oh, sh*t.... Sorry LR... I meant Kewl...

Comment

Originally posted by Oie
                      Name: Haunts
                      Description: Turns AI into haunts on any level. Changes skin, sounds, and speed. Meant for Co-op games.
                      Status: Skins, speed work. Currently in limbo since these were *sort of* implemented in Souls Harbor. If there is any interest I may resume this project.
                      I was thinking that this one may be better suited to a seperate game-type, although the mutator we embedded in Souls-Harbour covers most of the undead features (damage-wise anyway).

I've been thinking over game-types, and I think using the undead hasn't been as fully milked as could be.

Comment

I like the haunts in Souls Harbor, but honestly they don't *scare* me. They need some haunt-like sounds. I know in the Thief games the thing that scared me most about the haunts was the laughing noise they made when they noticed me. That often sent chills down my spine.

I don't think my mutator alters the game significantly. What are your criteria for deciding whether to designate something as a gametype or just a mutator?

Comment

Originally posted by Oie
                          I like the haunts in Souls Harbor, but honestly they don't *scare* me. They need some haunt-like sounds.
                          I actually think the silence when they notice you is great for spookiness, but different walking sounds would be good: creaking or clicking joints perhaps. The lack of warning when they notice you portrays an almost animalistic singleness of purpose, not accompanied by any need to communicate. I think some well done creepy movement sounds would make them more monstrous, with a greater sense of "it"-ness.

Comment

nah, i think you should make them talk backwards and stuff, i remember playing a map and i saw a dead corpse, and i thought it was creepy, then i turned around and there was a ghost in my face talking backwards, scared me shitless. And the laughing noise was pretty creepy, but also the backwards talking is damn scary too.

Comment

and jingling chains! every undead skeleton must make gangly chain noises!
                              ~TuF~

Comment

Working...
                              X