Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for sword combat game/simulator.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for sword combat game/simulator.

Hi peoples. I like the way combat works in games like Thief and Thievery because there is really no reason for it to be more involved. However, I am looking for a game that would simulate real sword combat with a variety of swords.

Graphics doesn't matter. A couple games that are sort of what i'm thinking about are Blade of Darkness and Die by the Sword. Blade of Darkness control I didn't like, and DbtS was too much random swinging.

Jedi Knight II also had good saber battles, but the guy did too much for it to be fun for me. I want to block, let ME do it!

If any of you know any game with something like this, pls let me know
    Garlisk's Fantasy Art Gallery
    www.usyetzer.com

Aww damn, i was going to suggest those 2 first games.

* Severance - Blade of darkness, I completed this because I loved it that much, I know the control system is (very) sucky, but keep with it, once you get used to it the game flows. And I've never felt such an erge NOT to get hit in a game, OOOO that axe just missed!

*Die by the sword - Hahaha! EXACTLY what I thought, random swinging, especially in mouse mode (the mouse movement mimiced the swords)

Erm...

Maybe Severance 2 when it arrives, otherwise I honestly can't think of any sword sims out there. If I do i'll let you know because i'm a great fan of them myself!
    ~TuF~

Comment

Yeah, BoD was cool. One of the main things I didn't like was locking onto a single target.

lol, I watched this "Warrior Challenge" show on PBS last night, and now I want to play something thats more like the real thing.
      www.usyetzer.com

Comment

The funniest in DBTS is to play as a ogre and smash kobolds around... They can really fly!

Comment

I've done many google searches but still no luck! Help me out people!!

www.usyetzer.com

Comment

For the best swordfighting simulator around, either take up fencing, kendo, or get involved with the Society for Creative Anachronism.

Comment

TO LR: that SCA site is pretty cool. Personally I would take up kendo if I were him but thats me.
              FOR GODS GLORY!!

Comment

I'm looking into those as well LR. Also looking into blacksmithing and such.

But mainly what im looking for here is something I can mess with on the comp.

Thanks for the link.
                www.usyetzer.com

Comment

This is from the SCA newcomer guide:

Many groups meet weekly, and at these meetings we dance, talk, study, learn, revel, and make plans
                  Dance? Talk? Study? Revel? WHAT?!

Making plans is ok though.
                  www.usyetzer.com

Comment

we love to make plans in thievery esp if its to steal a good amount of loot

why can't thievery have a little map that u can write important things on like in thief 2 maybe have it saved for next time that map is loaded that would be really cool would allow you to mark off important areas or potential guarding points ect

i would also look for a sword sim, im also working on forging my own sword like back in the day, its alot of work and i have had some success but need alot more practice with it.
                    An open mind is like a fortress, with its gates unbarred and and guarded

Comment

The Gladiator Mod
                      That's for multiplayer swashbuckling

Comment

Originally posted by Stakhanov
                        The Gladiator Mod
                        That's for multiplayer swashbuckling

Thats it!!

Dammit! Halflife?!

Wheres the UT version?! Argh. I might just have to get HL to play that.

Keep the links and stuff coming!!
                        www.usyetzer.com

Comment

I think that JK2 is the best you are going to get.

Seriously, the combat is simple yet complex, it can be learned in a minute and takes a lifetime to master... Plus if you just sit there and ABSOLUTELY fudge it all up, it still looks fucking cool.

JK2 is the best. Wait for JK3 and hope it gets better like a fine wine.

As to melee combat in general, Enter The Matrix is the BEST i have EVAR seen a game do it. The Brothers Wachowski have done it exactly the way it needs to be done.
                          Its the same format in Enter the Matrix too.... simple and complex, a minute to learn a lifetime to master and it just looks fucking cool even if you dont know what you're doing.

Think of ETM as sword-play in JK2.... with GUNS and AGENTS and CAR CHASES and some GEN-YOU-WINE Final Fantasy-style FMV scenes on top of it.

(yeah, ill buy the full game just for nostalgic purposes, but right now i have a warez copy of both that and Vice City for the PC... so no time to talk, gotta go play! Wahoo!)

EYE HART USENet.

LM
                          Sh33p! Shaepard i yam!

Where be that taffer Williams?

Comment

Originally posted by Garlisk
                            Dance? Talk? Study? Revel? WHAT?!

Making plans is ok though.
                            The SCA isn't just a fighting organization, it's a SOCIETY. It's older than most of the people here, in fact, and the people in it do MANY things medieval related. There's fencing, heavy weapons combat (both tournament and wars), archery, costuming, music, dancing, heraldry, caligraphy, and so on. Pick what you want to do. You might even find someone who can teach you different kinds of metalworking, including blacksmithing.

Comment

Sorry LR, I was just messin around.

I will be looking into that further.

I was at this site once about a Medieval Fighting Club, but it was in Nevada. That like half a world away! I mean, I live in PA!

So, maybe they have something a bit closer to home. That would be really cool, and again I thank you for the link
                              www.usyetzer.com

Comment

Working...
                              X