Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Talked to a dev at E3.... No MP in Thief 3!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Talked to a dev at E3.... No MP in Thief 3!

Okay, I just got in from E3. Literally. Came in, fed the cat, grabbed a beer, and came here to pass on my Thief 3 info.

I talked to one of the Thief 3 devs there for 20 minutes or so about various stuff. He had never heard of ThieveryUT prior to E3 this year, but apparently I was about the tenth person to bring it up to him. He got totally excited about checking it out when I gave him the full scoop on it.

But here's the REAL news: I asked him about MultiPlayer stuff in Thief 3 and he said that they're "completely focusing on the SinglePlayer aspect of the game" and have "no intention of having MultiPlayer" for it.

I pressed him further about it and inquired about the possibility of a MP patch after release if there was a big fan demand for it. He told me that anything is possible, but not to count on it. I wonder how many emails they'd have to get from us to influence them.

But in brighter news... I completely took over on one of the 4 machines running Thief 3 and played for about half an hour. Seemed like nobody else could figure it out 'cause they were used to the usual Run&Shoot games, so they preferred to just watch me and ask me questions anyway. The game looks absolutely amazing. I'd seen all the screenshots... but they just don't do it justice. You'd have to see it in motion. I was pretty bummed because all they had were Xbox controllers hooked up, though. I'm a PC guy and going from Mouse/Keyboard to that funky controller pretty much made me just run around like I was drunk and either looking at my feet or the ceiling a good portion of the time. [They didn't have the M/K stuff set up for us PC people because they're still working on some of that part] But even with my severe controller handicap... I played enough of it to say that this game looks like it's gonna' be friggin' awesome.

And with no MP stuff in it... It looks like our beloved ThieveryUT isn't being threatened by Thief 3 at all.

~Spook
    I stood among them, but not of them, in a shroud of thoughts which were not their thoughts.
    ~ Lord Byron

Well, I'm jealous.

Thanks for the info

Luckily we have thievery to quench our multiplayer urges.

Comment

Actually, this wasn't news, they've always said that they would consentrate on SinglePlayer. Good for us, Dalai and Co. get to make another MOD!!

Thanks for the details, Mr. Spook

Comment

You should've asked them if they'd leave Unreal Warefare's net code in so people could make multiplayer mods. *WINK* *WINK*
        (AKA Dresden)
        Despite all my rage, I am still just a dwarf in a cage.

Comment

Good for us, Dalai and Co. get to make another MOD!!
          w00t! Thievery3! (Does that make it official?!)
          http://www.insult2injury.org
          -end of transmission-

Comment

Oh man. I wish I could go at E3.
            JM

Comment

Originally posted by acetken
              w00t! Thievery3! (Does that make it official?!)
              I never said that. I hope so tho.

Comment

well if deus ex has multiplayer on the same engine (dunno if it does) then can't you transfer the netcode to thief 3?

Comment

seems possible, Id love to see a thievery type of multiplayer mod for Thief3

well, Im jealous too, I was supposed to go to E3 this year too

what did you think of the blue fill light? was it hard to tell where to hide?
                  "Shivers running down my spine,
                  whos blood? I know its mine.
                  -I am The Hunted"

GBH

Comment

Originally posted by killed
                    what did you think of the blue fill light? was it hard to tell where to hide?
                    It was a little hard to tell at first. At least in the area I was playing in. I'd have been lost without the light gem thinger. At first I was kinda' like "Where do I hide?!! I'll just try standing in this shady corner. Oh! I'm hidden!" The shadows were definitely obvious, though. There wasn't any question of where they were... they just didn't really look dark enough to actually hide in from what I saw.

So yeah, I think it could do with being a bit darker from what I saw, but at the same time... it *may* have been brightened up for the demo at the expo to show off the graphics. Enough people were scared off by the complexity of the controls, not to mention not understanding how a Thief game is played[1], so I don't think they wanted to lose more people because of not understanding the fact that dark is *good* in this game. I figure it's the same with the screens that have been released.

Now that I think about it, I kinda' wish I had thought to ask the guy about that.

~Spook

[1]on that note, they didn't even have a "3" after Thief anywhere. I asked the guy about it and he reassured me that it is Thief 3, they just didn't want to scare anyone off that hadn't played the other two. I guess people suffer from sequelphobia or something.
                    I stood among them, but not of them, in a shroud of thoughts which were not their thoughts.
                    ~ Lord Byron

Comment

yeah, I just really hope theres a setting on the PC version thatll let you turn down the brightness of them

did you run into any guards or anything? if you did, what do they act like? I mean, Ive heard stuff about them being more emotion based to where theyre scared or they might be mad at you, and things like that, and from the videos all you see is garret sneaking up on a guy with a dagger

also, Ive read about guards looking behind furniture and things like that, and saying "I need to look behind that couch..." instead of just walking around in random directions, that sounds pretty smart, did you see anything like this?

Ive read things in other previews that suggest very detailed physics of everything, like tables and chairs will have weight and you can interact with them, like this quote from actiontrip: "When we had Garrett scale a wall to an exposed balcony, we found a gold goblet that had been left out on a table, knocking it over; it rolled across the table and would have fallen to the floor, possibly giving away our position to the guards patrolling below, had we not snatched it up first." did you see anything like that happen?
                      "Shivers running down my spine,
                      whos blood? I know its mine.
                      -I am The Hunted"

GBH

Comment

I can't imagine that there wouldn't be some brightness setting in the game. They seem really intent on quality. And also really intent on being true to the originals.

I only ran into two guards when playing. One, quite literally. I was trying to figure out the controls [grr. stupid xbox controller] and ran right into one. Somehow with my Mad Button Mashing Skills(tm), I accidentally used a flashbomb and escaped and hid behind a pillar that was in an out of the way spot a couple rooms away. [once I figured out how to run whilst not staring at my feet] He called a friend and they seemed fairly intelligent when searching for me. And they were scary in how realistic they were.

Then there's the other one that I tried to shoot with a broadhead arrow from down a hall. I failed that rather miserably and ended up just alerting him. Three actual arrow hits didn't drop him and he found me hiding in the corner being too sucky with the controller to strafe around behind him and escape. Not that that stopped me from trying whilst he was busy carving me into small wet pieces.

I actually witnessed no patrolling guards doing cool search patterns like behind furniture and stuff, unfortunately. I'm sure I would have if, I dunno, I wasn't so busy doing everything else so badly. ops:

That and if I wasn't having to act as a rep and trying to answer all the questions from people standing around me going "Why doesn't he see you there?" and "Why does that arrow have a blue tip?" and "Did you shoot him?" and "You can put out torches?" and "How do you do your hair in big spikes like thatl?"

Okay, the last one wasn't game related, but I heard it like ten times in the two days I was at E3.

~Spook
                        ~ Lord Byron

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Spook
                          "How do you do your hair in big spikes like thatl?"
                          How?

Comment

Originally posted by Nachimir
                            Originally posted by Mister Spook
                            "How do you do your hair in big spikes like thatl?"
                            How?
                            Elmer's School Glue. Slightly thinned down with water. And a fair amount of Aquanet.

Oh and about 15 years of practice. :wink:

~Spook
                            ~ Lord Byron

Comment

Thank you

Comment

Working...
                              X