Clear All

• Ceiling Fan Baseball

CEILING FAN BASEBALL

For 2 or more players

Equipment:
    • One (1) piece of paper
      One (1) ceiling fan
      Some furniture
      A basic understanding of the rules of baseball (without the complicated parts like the ground rule double and when to spit your tobacco)

Setup:
    • 1) Wad up the paper into a ball.
      2) Divide the players up into two teams.
      3) Turn on the ceiling fan to maximum speed.
      4) If you like to make this kind of thing official before starting (i.e., you don't trust your friends), determine exactly which pieces of furniture constitute which kinds of hits. (see below)

The Rules:
    • The team throwing the "ball" at the fan is on Offense. The specific person throwing is The Batter. A given at-bat goes like this:
      The batter throws the ball at, or over and into, the ceiling fan...[list:867d26bcfe]
    • If the ball passes through the fan without being hit by the blades, the attempt is a strike.
    • If the ball is nicked by the blades (i.e., you can hear it), but otherwise just drops through, it is a foul.
    • If the ball is hit by the fan... it's a hit! The result depends on where the ball lands:
    • If it lands on the floor, the batter is out. Pop fly, grounder to the shortstop, something like that.
    • If it lands -- and stays on top of -- on a piece of furniture, then the result depends on the height and size of the surface, as per the following section (or whatever works for your players).
    [/list:u:867d26bcfe]
    Scoring a hit:
    • Single -- Furniture which is about knee-high or lower with a sizable surface. Coffee table, sofa, easy chair, etc.
      Double -- Doubles are scored on taller (waist-high) or smaller surfaces, often places like the top of the sofa's backrest or the top of the TV.
      Triple -- High and/or slim surfaces such as the mantle of the fireplace, enclosed areas like one level of a bookshelf, or maybe a large-ish container like the trashcan.
      Home Run! -- All those places that make people incredulous that the ball just landed there. Tops of lamps, inside hanging plant pots, the tippy-top of the tallest bookshelf. The kitchen sink. The floor two rooms away. That sort of thing.

The Rest:
    • Pretty much, it works like standard baseball from here on out. Each team has three outs before the next is up. Someone needs to keep track of where runners are located. Assume that runners advance the same number of bases as the batter when there's a hit (i.e., a runner on second advances home when the batter gets a double). Nine innings may or may not be the proper amount of innings -- I've found that outs tend to be common enough that games are quick and low-scoring, but I also only have one ceiling fan/room configuration worth of playtesting. Hey, what do you expect? It's a dumb game! I should have better things to do with my time!

Or you can go outside, get a baseball, and play the real thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Biohazard
      Or you can go outside, get a baseball, and play the real thing.
      Sure, you COULD do that....

How's the mouth, BTW, Bio?

Comment

Did she take the bribe, LaughingRat?

Comment

Originally posted by The Dragon
          Did she take the bribe, LaughingRat?
          I have no idea what you're talking about!

Shhhh. That's what I'm trying to find out.

Comment

-=Roger That=-

Comment

It's good for rainy days and wehn it's too dark.

Scratch tha second one: you play capture the flag in the dark and fog
              "Just off the border of your waking mind there lies another time, where darkness and light are one. As you tread the halls of sanity, you feel so glad to be unable to go beyond. I have a message from another time."

Comment

Originally posted by Radamanthus
                What, you mean like regular ol' UT?

Comment

So, you have ceiling fans in your government office and the boss is away?

Comment

Originally posted by Nachimir
                    So, you have ceiling fans in your government office and the boss is away?
                    No, I was just daydreaming. We have ceiling VENTS, and it just isn't the same with those.

Comment

Don't even get me started about ceiling fans...
                      It's not my fault everything you like is terrible.

Comment

Originally posted by BiG_D
                        Don't even get me started about ceiling fans...
                        Oh, go on. I'd LOVE to hear your ceiling fan stories!

Comment

If you insist...

Now, I can't say I remeber this "event" very well, so most of what I say is what I was told happened. Here is what I remeber:

A bunch of us were at a friends place. I'm not quite sure what my motivation was, but I jumped up onto a table. The last thing I remeber is being thrown forward... I later woke up in a hospital bed.

Here's what I'm told happened:
                          I jump onto the table. As I stand up, the (gasp) ceiling fan hits me in the back of the head. Now, this would be bad enough, but it turns out that there is a staircase lined up perfectly with the table. I end up falling straght down the steps. They take me to the hospital and I end up with 4 stiches in the back of my head, a mild concussion, and a really sore body.

Moral of the story:
                          Games with ceiling fans can only end in tragedy.
                          It's not my fault everything you like is terrible.

Comment

Originally posted by BiG_D
                            Moral of the story:
                            Games with ceiling fans can only end in tragedy.
                            I'd say the moral of the story is "Don't jump on a table and get whacked in the back of the head by a ceiling fan."

But another version could just be "Games that involve body parts stuck into ceiling fans can only end in tragedy", if you insist.

Comment

Originally posted by Radamanthus
                              It's good for rainy days and wehn it's too dark.

about 5 or 6 years ago, I was out in the woods with a whole bunch of people once at night, and it was pretty foggy from a near by lake, and there was a clearning right in the middle of two sets of trees, we set up bases in each and played capture the flag, me being leet thief style, I snuck through the woods quietly while people were getting tagged out left and right, I made a run for it between two trees, but it was really dark and I didnt see this thin rope, and close lined myself right in the gut running full speed and flipped over the rope onto my back

so much for leet thief style
                              "Shivers running down my spine,
                              whos blood? I know its mine.
                              -I am The Hunted"

GBH

Comment

Working...
                              X