Whats in a Name?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats in a Name?!

Ever wonder why some people pick a certain screen name for themselves? Whats the meaning of some of these names, and where do they come up with them?

This post is for just that, its probably been done before but i dont remember it so Im starting my own.

Tell us why you chose your screen name, and how you got the idea to use it.

KewlAzMe - Back when i first got AOL, my screen name was the default name they made for me. Like MH1400222. So i wanted a screen name that was better and standout-ish. So I think my first SN was PowrCycle. Which was ok but got old. Then i was hooked on the word Kool, spelling it with a 'K'. So I wanted to have a name with Kool in it. So I was trying KoolLikeMe, KoolIam, KoolIAm, Koolest, koolness, KoolAsMe...KoolAzMe.. YES thats it, KOOLAZME and it matches my arrogance! Its perfect!... but alas.. AOL would not allow a screen name with the letters A, O, and L be next to eachother in any order.. so koOLAzme has a problem. So I changed it to KewlAzMe. That name was available and Ive used it on every forum, email, & login page ever since!

I like to build.

Comment

I picked Nachimir intuitively (exactly the kind of thing I don't do very often). I'd just stopped being religious, had been feeling a certain lack of identity, then after a few realisations felt calm, and content. I had an overwhelming sense of peace and serenity.

I hadn't been on the net long, and when I came to pick a name I realised I didn't know any I wanted. So I decided to go with intuition. I decided it would be a Russian name, so googled for an appropriate dictionary. Then thought "It begins with N". Looked at the size of the page, then started scrolling up and down really fast without trying to read the names or their meanings. "Nachimir" was the first one that stuck out at me, as it went past a bit of me screamed "That's it!". I scrolled back up and found it meant "Start of peace."

The symbols happened around the same time, after I accidentally entered a trance and happened to have a piece of paper and a pen in front of me. When I came to, it was covered in random drawings with those symbols in the middle, which seemed as potent and important to me as the name.

Comment

- it's the ironic reference to a christmas carol when I'm very dead set against religion - hence the pSyChO lettering, and the main reference is 'SiLeNt...with the 'k' missing from 'kNiGhT....meaning for Thievery; a silent knight, or the sound after a night of pillaging in a town sound asleep...
        Also, I used to have 'SiLeNt_NiGhT - ex hammerite', indicating a 'falling out' with a secret society then turning thief. Thought I'd make a whole character out of it.
        ...and all is silent, save the voice of the clock...

Comment

My old net-name was just my initials, LWM, which suited me fine. Until I grew a brain. Then I watched the movie, The Matrix (8)), and there was a race to chose names from the movie on the server. I wound up with Tank. This suited me because I am "large" (and by large, I mean fat :wink and rather powerful. Then a few rejects started calling me Tank-ass. And since Im not one to care too much about being made fun of, I took it, threw out the s's and tacked on some 1337 z's and now I have my name.
          *Leader of the 56k rebellion*
          *Slowing down cable and DSL users, everywhere*

LikitaRenn:"I wanna be added to as many people's sigs as will add me to... their.. sigs.. um.. something..."

Comment

Back when I started playing Half-Life multiplayer mods, I chose the name Bulletcatcher. The idea was that it would reflect my current skills, and if I ever got better, I could say it means I'm so quick I catch bullets with my bare hands. When I started playing Thievery (the only UT mod I play), I decided I needed a name which fits in better with the medieval/fantasy setting of the game, so...

Comment

Well... as I like flying a lot (getting my license next summer if everything goes alright), I decided my name should somehow be related to it. Therefore Qantas was no problem to figure out and it also reflects my Australian origin.

The prefix caused me some problem, though, but one time I happened to be listening to Tom Waits's Black Rider CD, the "Deep from the jungles of Africa"-part kinda caught me... Being an outlander in Finland et all.

Therefore -> DeepQantas
              Ah, to be a hero. Keeping such company...

Comment

the nick 'jer' just clearly 0wnz j00 all.

also jarod from the pretender r0X0red.
                Modeller,
                Thievery UT
                www.jeredhunter.com

Comment

Originally posted by Nachimir
                  I'd just stopped being religious
                  Woo! Right on man!
                  I love it when people convert the other way. I had a philosophy teacher who was an ex-catholic priest who turned into a rampant athiest, psychologist and philosophy teacher. Probably the most interesting dude I've ever encountered.

Anyway- my name (as in MegaDude, not !eduDageM): I worked as a games-tester for Sega for a while, and we played against a lot of Germans in various on-line Dreamcast games, so I chose the cheesiest, crappiest awful German-sounding name I possibly could.
                  I'm cool!

Comment

I love Egypt, it's culture, it's history...
                    So I was making a research on this fabulous country when I found a city named "Luxor". Right after, I began playing diablo 1 and I was searching for a name. I remembered that one quite easily.
                    To add my little touch in it, I switched the x and r.

So, Lurox.
                    JM

Comment

after i conquer the world, i'm going to kill all the other people named 'daniel' and i will live in infamoy forever as THE 'daniel' a name that will inspire fear and spawn hatered everywhere!!! so i thought all of you should get used to that fear!!!
                      This is my cool sig.

Comment

Originally posted by Lurox
                        I love Egypt, it's culture, it's history...
                        So I was making a research on this fabulous country when I found a city named "Luxor". Right after, I began playing diablo 1 and I was searching for a name. I remembered that name quite easily.
                        To add my little touch in it, I switched the x and r.

So, Lurox.
                        Luxor, the bot in UT2003... dies alot when im nearby.

after i conquer the world, i'm going to kill all the other people named 'daniel' and i will live in infamoy forever as THE 'daniel' a name that will inspire fear and spawn hatered everywhere!!! so i thought all of you should get used to that fear!!!
                        Pfft... you wish.

Comment

not to start a flame war (lol yeah right) but y are some of you so aginst religion?
                          This is my cool sig.

Comment

Originally posted by daniel
                            not to start a flame war (lol yeah right) but y are some of you so aginst religion?
                            Despite the good "intentions" (in quotations for a reason...) of religion, it's also one of the leading causes of pain and misery on this earth...

More than any other power on earth, religion gives you complete control over not only what a person does but what a person thinks.

Every religion is or has been guilty of brain-washing the masses to their own ends. And they will do so again in the future...

It's something that is neither noble nor honorable...

[EDIT:] Do I REALLY need to tell my story AGAIN?!
                            TCO – Retired
                            Former TCO Head of Intelligence – Retired

Comment

well do u believe in God at least?
                              This is my cool sig.

Comment

Working...
                              X