A story about 'seeing'.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A story about 'seeing'.

Here's a little story I felt inclined to share with all of you.

A few years back I had the opportunity to go on a trip, but this was no ordinary weekend getaway. This was a blindfold weekend. It started off with people, total strangers, signing up and then arriving at a designated spot on a specified date and time. As we arrived at this house one by one we were greeted, paid our small fee, and then immediately blindfolded. (I knew the people who organized this event so I felt safe) Eventually, about 20 or so people arrived and were greeted in the same way. A school bus arrived and we were taken out of the city to a rural farm - all the time under strict rule to not take our blindfolds off, we were to keep them on the entire weekend (except when we had a shower, or were going to the bathroom) There was to be no cheating and we were watched carefully to make sure we didn't violate the rules, and that we didn't come to any harm.
    The whole point of this exercise was to experience what it was like to be blind. All the people who participated didn't take long to become freindly with one another, because when your that vulnerable you want to make freinds fast. We did everything; cook food, clean, explore the outer yard (which turned out to be a wheat field.) And we had fun and played games - all the while 'blind'.
    I guess the reason I bring this up is because this forum reminds me of that experience, in a way. And what really surprised me, what really, really shocked me to the very core of my being, more than anything else... was what I felt when, after all those 3 days of struggling, laughing, and getting to know people who were complete strangers to me - yet never having a clue as to what they looked like...
    was what happened to me inside, when it became time for everyone to take that blindfold off... I started to cry more than I've ever done in my life I think.
    Because what I immediately had thrust into my face, rammed into my eyes, was my prejudice...
    I was forced abruptly to deal with the realization that I might not have wanted to be with, make freinds with, or associate with, some of those people I saw. The sounds of their voices gave me a mental image of who they were, or so I thought. And I was just comfy cosy in my imaginings of those people and who and what I thought 'they' were all about. Never have I been so wrong. Never have I learned a lesson so deep, about people - and myself.
    I suddenly felt envy for the blind, and a much greater appreciation.
    Just because we have the gift of 'vision' doesn't mean that we see...

You guys are a great, fun bunch of people and I'm honoured to be able to share some fun times with you. :wink:
    ...and all is silent, save the voice of the clock...

that's a very nice and valuable story silent and i am glad you feel inclined to share it.

i would like to see how well we would all get along within the TUT community if we could actually meet one time.

would things be the same? i think so....
    Some there be that shadows kiss,
    Such have but a shadow's bliss.

Comment

The TUT photo album was a bit like that to me. I'm not mentioning names tho.
      ]V[]V[

Comment

It's very odd that you should choose to post this just when you did. I hadn't read it when I left work today, but as I was leaving, I started thinking about a friend of mine I haven't talked to in a few years now, who happens to be blind (he lost his eyes and his hands to a stick of TNT when he was 14). Despite the fact that he was not born this way, that he had thi inflicted on him, as it were, he's not the least bit bitter. He's one of the nicest, friendliest, most outgoing people you could hope to meet, and probably one of the wisest people I know, for his experiences. I sometimes find myself actually envying him.

Comment

Hehehe!
          Nice story! I'd like to experience that.

I'd have to say that I like this community a lot, too. Even if sometimes, it is being stupid. :?
          JM

Comment

*Pokes Lurox in the eyes.

Thank me! I made you a double service: you can now experience that and you've been proven right about stupidity. Aren't you lucky? :grin:

Comment

Interesting story. There is a valuable lesson here.

I haven't been feeling particularly well lately (just plain down) and this was refreshing. I'm glad to be a part of this community, as geeky as that may sound.

Ok, enough of this, lets flame eachother now!
              Garlisk's Fantasy Art Gallery
              www.usyetzer.com

Comment

DIE GARLISK YOU PIECE OF CRAP!
                The only constant is change.
                (And I wouldn't have it any other way.)

Comment

Originally posted by CrouchingDork
                  DIE GARLISK YOU PIECE OF CRAP!

See, now THIS is what friendship is all about.
                  Garlisk's Fantasy Art Gallery
                  www.usyetzer.com

Comment

GROUP HUG!
                    The only constant is change.
                    (And I wouldn't have it any other way.)

Comment

awwww.... :wink:

/me hugs CrouchingDork and Thwark and LaughingRat and DhaThief and BrokenArts and Modetwo...
                      JM

Comment

hahaha u cried u crybaby
                        I'm not so bad... Once you get to know me.

Comment

omg u thwark u r a sorry ass
                          ur ass should b band from tut forums
                          JM

Comment

OMG
                            I'm not so bad... Once you get to know me.

Comment

Okay, Thwark, this is how it's done....
                              First you sit your ass down in the boat.
                              Then you take the oar, grasp with both hands held out in front of you horizontally.
                              Then you dip the left oar blade in to the water...

...god!!!....you are spooky!
                              ...and all is silent, save the voice of the clock...

Comment

Working...
                              X