X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Grey Fox
    • Jan 2003

Mouse Help

I'm looking for a optical and maybe wireless mouse for about $40 or less.Does anyone have any good suggestions?
  • Curunir
    • Jan 2003

Try a basic Logitech Optical Mouse. I don't like wireless mice. Too heavy, and not good for gaming. They don't feel right in my hand. That's because of the batteries, which go dead, and you have to charge them or replcae them.
    Genius is a blink before a moment of insanity.
    "Dream is Destiny"
    Waking Life

Comment

• BiG_D
      Former Forum Staff
      • Jan 2003

Agreed.

I personally am using a Dexxa (a sub-company of logitech, I'm told) optical mouse. It cost me $30 CDN two years ago, and its one of the best mice I have ever used.
      It's not my fault everything you like is terrible.

Comment

• Salvage
        • Jan 2003

I'm using a Microsoft Wheelmouse Optical USB(comes with a PS/2 adapter). Cost me ~$20 CDN at EB. I've never had any problems with it and am fully satisfied with it.

It has 3 buttons(the wheel works as the third when pressed), which means no buttons on the sides. The buttons are not programmable.
        Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia, n. See also Irony.

Comment

• Tankazz
          • Jan 2003

Im using a Microsoft Optical/Wireless Mouse with Wireless keyboard. Both work just fine. New batteries last about a month in the mouse and a very long time in the keyboard.
          *Leader of the 56k rebellion*
          *Slowing down cable and DSL users, everywhere*

LikitaRenn:"I wanna be added to as many people's sigs as will add me to... their.. sigs.. um.. something..."

Comment

• Grey Fox
            • Jan 2003

Thanks for the help guys.

Comment

• Garlisk
              • Jan 2003

I got an Intellimouse optical mouse, 5 buttons, all programmable: 30 bucks at Radio Shack.

Its really nice. I wouldn't go with wireless unless you live in the middle of nowhere, or the signal can be interupted I hear.

Besides, the wires don't clutter things up much...
              Garlisk's Fantasy Art Gallery
              www.usyetzer.com

Comment

• LaughingRat
                • Jan 2003

I personally hate Microsoft mice, and not because of the company that makes them. They all feel cheap, plasticky and fragile in my hand. I'd go with a Logitech especially the MX500 or MX700 (same mouse but the MX700 is cordless). Fantastic feel in the hand, more buttons than you know what to do with (though some are not conveniently placed), and they both use a newer, highspeed optical technology. If you shop around, you may be able to get the MX500 for about $40, or if you work at an authorized Logitech dealer, ask about Logitech's Retail Employee Purchase Program (aobut half off anything Logitech makes). The MX700 has all the MX500's ergonomic goodness, and is cordless, with a higher sample rate than any other corless mouse on the market (I think) - in any case, it's the same as USB sampling, so there's no lagginess typical of most cordless mice. The batteries that come with it are NiMH rechargeables. and the thing charges just by placing it in the cradle/transceiver base that comes with it.

DarkBill submitted a very nice review of the MX700 on Crackaz a while back.

If neither of these mice fit your budget, the Logitech Mouseman Dual Optical is an excellent choice for a corded optical mouse for desktop and gaming use. It's a four button mouse with scrollwheel.

Comment

• Curunir
                  • Jan 2003

Personally, I use a Razer Boomslang. 5 programmable buttons and a mousewheel. Optical, yet the laser traces a ball instead of the desk area. Quite accurate too. I love it. They are funny looking, and odd to hold, so they aren't for everyone. Jahandar hated it, so he sold it to me. I love it, and will prolly never use a diff kind of mouse.
                  "Dream is Destiny"
                  Waking Life

Comment

• LaughingRat
                    • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Curunir
                    I love it, and will prolly never use a diff kind of mouse.
                    Except that they're no longer made.

The Boomslang - an optical mouse with all the disadvantages of a rollerball mouse.

Comment

• Garlisk
                      • Jan 2003

Originally posted by LaughingRat
                      Originally posted by Curunir
                      I love it, and will prolly never use a diff kind of mouse.
                      Except that they're no longer made.

The Boomslang - an optical mouse with all the disadvantages of a rollerball mouse.

That thing is freakin' old. I remember adds for it from when I first got a computer and started reading gaming mags. Thats like 5 years ago.
                      Garlisk's Fantasy Art Gallery
                      www.usyetzer.com

Comment

• LaughingRat
                        • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Garlisk
                        That thing is freakin' old. I remember adds for it from when I first got a computer and started reading gaming mags. Thats like 5 years ago.
                        They're still very good, high precision mice (didn't the top end model have a 2000 dpi resolution?). They're just rollerball mice, so you have to clean them every few days or weeks to keep them working right.

Comment

• Curunir
                          • Jan 2003

Yeah, but they are making a new one now. An updated one, it's suppose to be even better. The main thing I like about it is the feel of it. The shape. It's perfect.

"Dream is Destiny"
                          Waking Life

Comment

• TeeJay
                            • Jan 2003

As between Logitiech and Microsoft, I would go with the brand and model that fits your hand the best. Try them on for size at a store like CompUSA which has mice on display. I bought a "factory refurbished" corded Logitech Mouseman Dual Optical on eBay a while back for about $15.00 including shipping. It does not have Logitech's latest technology, but I prefer the feel of it to the products in their MX series. If you go the eBay route, check the seller's feedback and terms carefully before bidding. The big national electronics and office supply chain stores offer rebates on Logitech and Microsoft mice from time to time. Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                            X