New Player's Guide to Thievery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Player's Guide to Thievery

Now before you jump on me, I'm not talking about your average "this is how you become the best player" guides like masterthievery.tk.

I'm talking about a simple web site with an easy to follow navigation system that leads new and prospective Thievery players through the entire Thievery experience from what patch to download and how to install, through to how to configure loadouts and the best ways to get into the community.

Omega has some good, detailed guides on the shadow guild site, but they tend towards the more advanced level of tweaking, and for all my searching I haven't yet found a comprehensive guide that is readily accessible to new players.

So... does anyone else have an opinion about this? Perhaps, if the quality of my proposed work is sufficient, the devs might want to link it from the main TUT site, and it could be linked from guild sites as well. Also, perhaps we could have some translations made for the sake of German and other European players.

Of course, if such a guide exists already could someone point me in the right direction?

Additions, suggestions & refinements welcome.
    Sounds good to me
    100.00%
    Waste of time
    0.00%
    Sod off, Shug
    0.00%
    Nightmaster,
    .:Mockers Thievery Guild:.
    - "until the cat is skinned"

Sounds good to me, I would offer to help but I'm lazy.

All for you doing it tho..
    How TuF are you?
    League of Legends
    Bloodbowl by Extensions

Comment

Umm.. one ofhte things i enjoy is to tel new players howq to play. I like to teach!

You must remember tha the best way to lean is by doing. If you do write this guide, make sure that you makethat clear: there is no tecnique to follow, it's your own style. Also that watching and learning are all good, but it is best t learn by mmistakes. Don't be shy. Get online and play! ask for help if you need it!
      "Just off the border of your waking mind there lies another time, where darkness and light are one. As you tread the halls of sanity, you feel so glad to be unable to go beyond. I have a message from another time."

Comment

Don't worry Rad, I've got a history of online gaming and an appreciation of how TUT works at its best.

Some of the more important parts of this guide are concerned with getting people started in the first place, and just setting their feet on the right path.

I've had some ideas about putting in little comments and quotes from people... i.e. "Agga's Tip: blah blah blah", etc.
        Nightmaster,
        - "until the cat is skinned"

Comment

Oh. well, keep in mind those things, and make sure your readers know it.
          "Just off the border of your waking mind there lies another time, where darkness and light are one. As you tread the halls of sanity, you feel so glad to be unable to go beyond. I have a message from another time."

Comment

I "can" be grabbed at the weekend for games to show new folks how to play, used to do it every thursday near-abouts, but I can likely take an hour or two each saturday before crackaz main practice, which is at 11pm GMT (V. Early for the aussies tho :wink: )
            As for tips and guides, ther shoudl be a shitload around here or back at the TTLG ones... otherwise grab people ingame adn ask em for a single tip each, although I'm sure most people will "offer" more.
            How TuF are you?
            League of Legends
            Bloodbowl by Extensions

Comment

I think a tips and strategy guide is probably not the best idea, but if what you're proposing is basically the sort of instruction manual that you normally get with commercial games, telling you what the items ingame are and how they're used, I think it's an excellent idea. And not only is linking to such a site from the ThieveryUT site an excellent idea, but perhaps a manual, if comprehensive enough, could be included with a future patch? There'd have to be some way to inform new players that it was there (perhaps an option in the install file with checkbox to "Install Instruction Manual" and/or "Open Instruction Manual on Finishing", or some such.

Comment

Originally posted by LaughingRat
                telling you what the items ingame are and how they're used, I think it's an excellent idea.

Isn't there already a guide about all the items on www.thieveryut.com?

but the guide to getting started and configuring loadouts (etc) sounds worthwhile.
                Nightwarden,
                - "Earth dons the red; calls the maggots."

Comment

The thieveryut.com guide is really outdated.
                  The only constant is change.
                  (And I wouldn't have it any other way.)

Comment

The items section doesn't seem so outdated- besides the exclusion of decoy arrows, old skins for the whistlers and mines and wrong pricings on some items. :wink:
                    Nightwarden,

Comment

Originally posted by shadow rodent
                      The items section doesn't seem so outdated- besides the exclusion of decoy arrows, old skins for the whistlers and mines and wrong pricings on some items. :wink:
                      Updating that is a good start. But it really doesn't give a very good idea of how the items are used, or what effects they have. Something a little more explicit would be nice. Also, some basic instruction in the use of the interface. Many of the people who are coming to Thievery have never actually played UT before. A brief rundown on what to do with the interface, how to change your name, etc. How many of the "Taffers" you've seen have been because they didn't even know how to set a name for themselves?

Comment

Originally posted by Sisu
                        Trying to introduce and orient new players to the community is one of the harder aspects, when just starting, I would think new players (or prospective ones) would be daunted by the array of choices and are most susceptible to droping out. When continually trounced by veterans, they don't need to be given a fish, they need to be taught to fish. By helping them understand the underlying principles, they can travel the road of personal enlightenment, tempered of course by the guidance afforded by such an intro.
                        Not everyone is cut out to walk the road to enlightenment. Let's just help them play, eh?

Comment

"The best way to learn is to teach..."
                          Genius is a blink before a moment of insanity.
                          "Dream is Destiny"
                          Waking Life

Comment

How about a heavily scripted single player tutorial map?

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha-Omega
                              How about a heavily scripted single player tutorial map?

To play that, they'd need to install and setup thievery, as well as configuring loadouts. Hence Shug's proposal.
                              Nightwarden,

Comment

Working...
                              X