Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Good for single player, but for multi...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good for single player, but for multi...?

I just read that Thief 3 will support an entire non-linear city for you two prowl around in and do missions in a la GTA3. While this makes Thief 3 a lot more fun in single player mode, what does this mean for the Thievery devs and their plans for multiplayer? I'm sure that it probably wouldn't pose a huge problem to be able to make individual maps, with this functionality you could be a lot more creative. You could even take the single player map and... dare I say it - make a persistant world.

that sounds awesome...i'm sure if the devs are planning to make it they are smart enough and will do a great job with it anyway
    http://profiles.myspace.com/users/7360475
    -=:ToB:=- / :]eDe[: Site: www.endarkend.net
    -=:ToB:=-Forums: www.endarkend.net/phpbb/
    -=:ToB:=-PayingSins (TUT MAP)- http://www.endarkend.net/downloads/m...oB_Payback.zip

Comment

similar to an idea i had for a MMOFPS, based around Thievery. but the server power it would take to run it would make your average computer cough up a lung.
      I'm not so bad... Once you get to know me.

Comment

Custom maps would be the way to go, I don't think huge maps like that is good for a Thief MP.

Comment

yeah, hopefully we would see version 2 of some thievery maps and even some remakes of Nostalgia and other classic ones.

*thinks about multiplayer with the T3 lighting and technology*

oh god...

*legs starts to shake like a dog*

I need a smoke...
          "Shivers running down my spine,
          whos blood? I know its mine.
          -I am The Hunted"

GBH

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha-Omega
            I just read that Thief 3 will support an entire non-linear city for you two prowl around in and do missions in a la GTA3. While this makes Thief 3 a lot more fun in single player mode, what does this mean for the Thievery devs and their plans for multiplayer?
            Erm, nothing. Why would it? The decisions they make to gameplay aren't dictated by Thief3.
            (AKA Dresden)
            Despite all my rage, I am still just a dwarf in a cage.

Comment

This re-inforces what I was thinking, which is nice :wink:
              How TuF are you?
              League of Legends
              Bloodbowl by Extensions

Comment

Originally posted by mOdEtWo
                Custom maps would be the way to go, I don't think huge maps like that is good for a Thief MP.
                It could if it would be in a roleplay environment.

Imagine having different factions in the city.
                A thieves' guild, some cult, the city watch...
                Personnaly, I think it could be cool enough.
                JM

Comment

Originally posted by Lurox
                  Imagine having different factions in the city.
                  A thieves' guild, some cult, the city watch...
                  Personnaly, I think it could be cool enough.
                  Well. I imagine a Thief MP could get much more popular than Thievery, so it is a possibility.

No, really - Thief as a massive rollplaying game? Hmm...

** runs off screaming

Comment

If they were to create a version Thievery based on Thief3's engine, I would personally hope that it would be a conversion with new maps and other tweaks. This is based on on an expectation that the maps are geared for single player and would not translate well into muli-player. Also, some things that help in single player would be devasting to the guards in multi-player. And extermely large maps are not conducive to the competition style now played.

Here's hoping the multi-player aspect of the engine is still intact and the devs are able to find the time.
                    Give some taffer fire, and you'll keep him warm for the night with one less reason to cause trouble for the master.
                    Set a taffer on fire, and he will be warm for the rest of his life, and have no need to bother the master.

Comment

Hmm yes, I think MMORPG is the way to go with Thief MP. With thievery, the whole point is to win a round, and that kinda ruins it IMO.
                      ]V[]V[

Comment

I had come up with an idea for Thief MP that was a mixture of round-based games and RPG things. I'm not a big fan of MMORPGs, because, hey, you can't fucking win them.

So here's the idea: You have a large city map, made of 5 seperate stand-alone maps interconnected by a pretty large area of "city streets" (like TH-Flats). Each round, the 5 different maps are won and lost and fought over, thieves spawn in the streets area (if it's a big city, there can be 2 or 3 different thief guilds, and all the guards from all the maps (and the streets) on 1 team), and they can go to any of the maps they want to and play, as they see fit - same with guards, although they actually spawn in their maps - when a map is "won", it closes off, and the round goes on and on until either all 5 maps are won by the thieves (or guards, if the objectives allow it), or the round ends (say 2 hours or so). after that, the maps all reset and a new round starts up.

Comment

Originally posted by Thwark
                          I had come up with an idea for Thief MP that was a mixture of round-based games and RPG things. I'm not a big fan of MMORPGs, because, hey, you can't fucking win them.
                          Yup, one of the main reasons that RL sucks. But then again, without RL, you'd never win anything at all.

So why not settle for winning in a game played in a game you can't win? Hmm, brings a new meaning to sub-victory.
                          ]V[]V[

Comment

if i wanted a game that was realistic I'd be playing the newest "Not-CS" CS Clone.

Comment

Before some of the newer patches NS could go on for 6 hours a round :twisted:
                              and yes i played a few of em :grin:
                              How TuF are you?
                              League of Legends
                              Bloodbowl by Extensions

Comment

Working...
                              X