Attention all mappers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attention all mappers

Ok, i don't mean to sound a bit bitter, and maybe its because i'm slightly annoyed, but here's the scoop.

I use a 56k modem, which takes me roughly, an hour to download each map. It just really gets on my nerves when i spend an hour on the internet sitting, waiting for a map to download, and then when i try to play it 2 weeks later online, it gives me a version mismatch error. My suggestion (like it matters) is that you mappers either get it beta tested more extensivly, or try not to notice any flaws once its released. Thats all, i hope none of you think this is raging, but i really would like it if i didn't have to download kings of the desert 4 times and other maps multiple times just to be able to play them.

=Timmy=
    "It is truly a shame that the guards must be kept from the very tools of thier proffesion, but such blatant misuse of gas arrows cannot be tolerated. Alas, that poor burrick..."

Erm... I don't recall any unofficial maps that has been released more then twice.
    And besides... it's not like there's released a lot of maps.

Comment

Just download them from ToB, that shouldn't take more than 5 or 10 minutes.
      The only constant is change.
      (And I wouldn't have it any other way.)

Comment

Yea..and theif.. dont DL a "BETA" map if u cant take it..wait 3 weeks, see the feed back, then DL it.

Comment

I bet you mean Breandor. Well, a public beta IS a public beta. It's supposed to fix the balance issues and the last bugs, and is very much needed. It's a big map, yeah - but it's sure worth it!

Comment

Originally posted by CrouchingDork
            On 56k ?

I take that as a joke.

Comment

Originally posted by mOdEtWo
              On 56k ?

I take that as a joke.
              Nah... just a small map.

Comment

Originally posted by Master-Builder
                Nah... just a small map.
                Not even a map.

HERE. DOWNLOAD this mesh (10 rar marchives * 7 mins @ 56k)

G'luck.

Comment

Ok, maybe not Breandor, but a normal zipped or rar'ed map is what, 3-5 megs? How long does that take?
                  The only constant is change.
                  (And I wouldn't have it any other way.)

Comment

Ok, maybe not Breandor, but a normal zipped or rar'ed map is what, 3-5 megs? How long does that take?
                    Well, take a 56k modem. 56k means 56 kilobits (thousand) per second. There are 8 bits in one byte, therefor 56 kilo bits = 8 kilo bytes (B) per seconds. And 3 MB = 3 million bytes, so 3.000.000 / 8.000 = 375 seconds. That's 7 minutes for 3 MegaBytes (and the speed may not be 56k at all times) - an amount of data we broadband users download in seconds. It doesn't sound that much, but Breandor would take like 20 minutes to download. Again, it's worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by Thief13x
                      Ok, i don't mean to sound a bit bitter, and maybe its because i'm slightly annoyed, but here's the scoop.

I use a 56k modem, which takes me roughly, an hour to download each map. It just really gets on my nerves when i spend an hour on the internet sitting, waiting for a map to download, and then when i try to play it 2 weeks later online, it gives me a version mismatch error. My suggestion (like it matters) is that you mappers either get it beta tested more extensivly, or try not to notice any flaws once its released. Thats all, i hope none of you think this is raging, but i really would like it if i didn't have to download kings of the desert 4 times and other maps multiple times just to be able to play them.

=Timmy=
                      You get version mismatch errors when a map on your machine has the exact name of a map on the server your connecting to, but there's some difference in the two files. If you want to avoid this, don't download maps from servers as you're playing. Download and install the current versions of all extra maps when you're not playing. Then you don't have to wait while a map downloads to be able to connect to a server.

There's really no reason everyone shouldn't have downloaded all the extra, "unofficial" maps. They're readily available to everyone in this community, and it's far better for YOU, the player, to have it actually installed on your machine. You don't have to wait through a download to connect to a server, and you can play it offline, which you can't do with a map downloaded and cached off a server. If you've refused to go and get these maps, and encounter problems because of it, don't bring your rants and raves to the server admins or the community. It's your own damn fault for not getting off your lazy ass and doing something about it.

I'm done now.

*gets off soapbox*

Comment

Well, take a 56k modem. 56k means 56 kilobits (thousand) per second. There are 8 bits in one byte, therefor 56 kilo bits = 8 kilo bytes (B) per seconds. And 3 MB = 3 million bytes, so 3.000.000 / 8.000 = 375 seconds. That's 7 minutes for 3 MegaBytes (and the speed may not be 56k at all times) - an amount of data we broadband users download in seconds. It doesn't sound that much, but Breandor would take like 20 minutes to download. Again, it's worth it.

The DL'ing speed whold be on like 10 b/sec... it whold be a hell to do it...
                        hehe.... this is a sig no?

Comment

<-- long-term 56k user. From what I've experienced, when im connected to a fast server (one that wont slow my d/l to 3kb/s etc) I can download ~20mb in one hour. With that I can dl 10mb in about 30 minutes, and 5mb in between 12-17 minutes. So, either your 56k sucks crap, or you just have really shitty luck, Thief . Also, aside from the fact that I don't play a lot online (lately), but I've never experienced a version mismatch if I've downloaded the map from a site such as ToB (they seem to be on top of new maps ).
                          *Leader of the 56k rebellion*
                          *Slowing down cable and DSL users, everywhere*

LikitaRenn:"I wanna be added to as many people's sigs as will add me to... their.. sigs.. um.. something..."

Comment

Correction: while the modem name brags a clean 56k transfer speed, a phoneline will only permit transfer speeds of i think its 12k max. Besides that fact, when i download from Kazaa, i get an average of 2.5k. And in response to you LR, i have never downloaded a map whilst playing tut. When i try and connect to a server and it starts trying to download, i simply get out of the server, and go somewhere else. Also, you say i'm lazy because i don't download maps? well, i'm sorry i use dialup and have a limited amount of time on the internet due to a single phoneline. And don't start this raging crap about "GET CABLE AND DSL" because, frankly i don't have the money.

Thats all
                            "It is truly a shame that the guards must be kept from the very tools of thier proffesion, but such blatant misuse of gas arrows cannot be tolerated. Alas, that poor burrick..."

Comment

You sjould be able to get download speeds at the 5-6kbs... otherwise... you got a really poor phoneline. And i wouldn't call kazaa for the best way of checking your internet speed...

Comment

Working...
                              X