Ghosters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ghosters

Ghosting, as The Shadow Guild defines it, has a specific set of rules. Here is how most ghosters play:

Do not kill or knock anyone out
    Try not to get seen
    Try not to get heard
    Try not to leave any traces

Ghosters don't use violence at all, which is the main thing that seperates ghosters from other players. But they also take stealth to the next level, trying to pass through the level completely invisible, doing their best to go unnoticed and not leave traces of their passing. This can be hard in multiplayer, but we do our best.

As you can probably imagine, due to the level of sneakiness required to be a ghoster, this method of play can be very intense and extremely rewarding. It is a style that takes guts, wits, skill, and a vast knowledge of every map. Ghosters, in my opinion, are the most fun to watch in spectate mode, because their escapes and runs on objectives seem even more impressive since they aren't KOing, and that means more guards running around. Since their are more guards running around, ghosters have to be extra careful, and they can't use their supplies in one escape. This means that they have to devise new ways of escaping and getting their objectives, ways without using their supplies.

I was just kind of sitting here, bored, and decided that a ghosting thread would be cool. The purpose of this thread is not to make other styles of play seem worse than ghosting, or put down dmers in any way. DMing is a valid style of play, and I admit, an extremely effective one to those who are good at it. I'm just not one of those people. The purpose of this thread, instead, is to talk about ghosting. Discuss it, the pros and the cons, the thrills, the styles WITHIN the style of ghosting (There are different ways to ghost a map)...the possibilities of things to talk about in this thread are endless.

Probably the biggest reason for this thread, though, is to get people interested in ghosting, and maybe have some non-ghosters try it out.

One last thing. I know that ghosting isn't for everyone, I'd be a fool to think it was. A very small number of people in this community are hardcore ghosters, myself one of them, everyone in TSG and the Wraiths, among others. Freaky_Alien used to be one. Anyone who considers themself a full-time ghoster, say something in this thread. We could even make a list of people who ghost, just because I think it would be cool.

Post away!

"Word" :wink:

Comment

Originally posted by The Dragon
      Ghosting, as The Shadow Guild defines it, has a specific set of rules. Here is how most ghosters play:

Do not kill or knock anyone out
      Try not to get seen
      Try not to get heard
      Try not to leave any traces

Ghosters don't use violence at all, which is the main thing that seperates ghosters from other players. But they also take stealth to the next level, trying to pass through the level completely invisible, doing their best to go unnoticed and not leave traces of their passing. This can be hard in multiplayer, but we do our best.

As you can probably imagine, due to the level of sneakiness required to be a ghoster, this method of play can be very intense and extremely rewarding. It is a style that takes guts, wits, skill, and a vast knowledge of every map. Ghosters, in my opinion, are the most fun to watch in spectate mode, because their escapes and runs on objectives seem even more impressive since they aren't KOing, and that means more guards running around. Since their are more guards running around, ghosters have to be extra careful, and they can't use their supplies in one escape. This means that they have to devise new ways of escaping and getting their objectives, ways without using their supplies.

I was just kind of sitting here, bored, and decided that a ghosting thread would be cool. The purpose of this thread is not to make other styles of play seem worse than ghosting, or put down dmers in any way. DMing is a valid style of play, and I admit, an extremely effective one to those who are good at it. I'm just not one of those people. The purpose of this thread, instead, is to talk about ghosting. Discuss it, the pros and the cons, the thrills, the styles WITHIN the style of ghosting (There are different ways to ghost a map)...the possibilities of things to talk about in this thread are endless.

Probably the biggest reason for this thread, though, is to get people interested in ghosting, and maybe have some non-ghosters try it out.

One last thing. I know that ghosting isn't for everyone, I'd be a fool to think it was. A very small number of people in this community are hardcore ghosters, myself one of them, everyone in TSG and the Wraiths, among others. Freaky_Alien used to be one. Anyone who considers themself a full-time ghoster, say something in this thread. We could even make a list of people who ghost, just because I think it would be cool.

Post away!

Amen

I alway's try to ghost but it's very hard to do,and dming and koing is very tempting to do .So it's really hard to be an good ghoster.
      Some Skulls are born to be heroes

Comment

Depending on my mood... and who the guards are, i either:
        Ghost completly.
        Semi ghost.
        or... i just go "Builder style" TM

Anyways, altough i often knockout a few people, i always do it sitting in a shadow and knocking them out... often while they are completly unaware of my presence.
        Besides... i suck at dming in any other styles... Well... maybe a few well placed crates can cause a player to disconnect, but otherwise not.

Comment

Ghosting is boring (as a guard). I want to be afraid of the dark. Plus, it usually forces you to camp more if the ghosters are good, making the game even more boring.

As a thief i long forgot where my weapons were, so i do some kind of a "weak ghosting" (just no aggro, but i usually get seen some time or some other, often on purpose as to create a diversion), but the blackjack is just another tool, like potions and the jump key and as such it should be used when the situation is fitting. You could restrain yourself from using potions and call it "dry law thieving", but i don't think anybody would think of that as cool, even if it WOULD take a lot more of skill due to you not using potions. But not using the blackjeack (or other weapons) is cool. Beats me.

*Blinks*

Huh?

Arrr... What happened?

Comment

I like a blend of ghosters and KOers in a server. That doesn't mean I like DMers though. I ghost every once in a while, and it's pretty fun, but also hard. It's rewarding to ghost a map like burgois or asylum though.

I just prefer to KO when necessary. It makes things easier and I have a greater chance of winning. Sometimes I like to ghost, but I prefer to KO a bit.
            The only constant is change.
            (And I wouldn't have it any other way.)

Comment

As a guard, I like DMers. The only DMer I can't handle (sometimes) is Impulse, cause he bounces around. We have REALLY good battles.

I like DMers because, they come to me, are fairly easy to see and find, and if you know how to deal with them (like me, if I really get into the match) fairly easy to kill.

As a thief, however, I semi ghost. Its a strategy I am learning...struggling to learn. I know I am much better than I used to be as a thief as a result. Instead of Invis potions and flashes for KOing, I now carry 4 crack, 1 flash, and 1 invis. The Flash and Invis are no longer for KOing, but ONLY for AI emergances (flash) and getting into lit, guarded areas unseen (invis). The 4 crack have saved my life countless times when I do get cought. If I ABSOLUTELY have to KO, or if its just such a juicy easy shadows "WTF" KO, I do it. But I no longer use resources if I don't have to.

I find playing this way as a thief much more exciting, and rewarding. A lot better than running around using resources to KO and then just dying anyway.
              Garlisk's Fantasy Art Gallery
              www.usyetzer.com

Comment

Ditto
                The Guard "eats, drinks, and sleeps"

Likita: lol, can't.. must..stay..awake.............

It's TACO TIME!

Comment

Ok Ok, now its the guards turn to ghost.

Comment

I like to think of myself as a ghoster or at least a semi-ghoster, I don't really wish to restrict myself by never BJ'ing or killing etc. However what I often find is that if I do these thinks needlessly then I end up in trouble or get team-mates in trouble. However I don't hesitate to Bj a guard to save the life a team-mate and other such situations.
                    I find Ghosting incredibly fun and interesting, the best feeling is when you are right under the guards nose but they have absolutely no idea that you are there.
                    Also the cries of WTF! when you take as you get enough loot to win and escape without a guard even seeing you at all!
                    Sometimes I think that the odds are stacked up against this style of play, but more recently as I have worked harder and with the help of mocker .:m.rodent:., i've been improving my skills and achieving a fair amount of success! :grin:
                    Ghosting makes you more observent, patient and cautious. You start using your ears to detect guard movements, looking around for places to hide, preparing escape routes if thinks go wrong, trying to remain silent and unseen etc.
                    Dare I say it, Ghosting seems to take more skill then other styles of play to pull off, it is definately a challenge and with the release of the newer versions has emerged as a much more realistic approach to thieving a level. This is not to say that other styles of play require little or no skill, but rather when ghosting there is a lot more to think about and to be aware of.
                    It may be that a guard has nothing to fear from ghosters is probably the reason why I choose to not stick ridgedly to the no kills or Ko's that characterise a good ghoster. However a thief also has nothing to fear from a guard if the guard cannot find the thief :wink:
                    It may be for guards to guard against ghosters due mainly to the lack of confrontation, but to them I say they need to guard the level in a different state of mind, think less of, 'where could the thief come from to kill me', but rather 'where could he be hiding' and 'I should stay by this objective rather then running off, because he might be lurking, waiting to snatch it!'
                    Thanks for the opportunity to post on this subject Dragon
                    .: Daymaster - Mockers Thievery Guild :.

Comment

Ghosting is an extremely effective way to win a map, but if you toss in a couple of DMers, then you have yourself a truly effective team.

Comment

I love ghosting, and I will often play that way when I'm with people I enjoy playing with, else I'm going to be a guard. Sometimes I will even get my stealth knock outs out, heh. I mean.. where it's perfectly safe to KO a guard.

Sometimes I DM when it's very late (or when I'm with CrouchingDork) though... it can be fun.
                        JM

Comment

I think of myself as more of a "minimum-force" thief with the ability to use a blackjack.

Some people argue that ghosting makes for very boring guarding duty, and this is sometimes true... I've had some very fun maps going toe to toe with Yenz and his sword. However, some of the more intense guarding experiences I've had are against ghosters; one of the most notable being Rodent and I, standing tensely in the depths of the theatre crypts with gauntleted hands gripping crossbow stocks as a freaky alien stalked the night...
                          Nightmaster,
                          .:Mockers Thievery Guild:.
                          - "until the cat is skinned"

Comment

There are several things that make a great ghoster:

1. Their inventory (mine is one health, one invis, one catfall, one speed, four cheese, three water arrows, two vine arrows, two flashbombs, one lickpick).

2. Their ability to escape guards once they've been seen.

3. Their knowledge of the AI patrol routes.

4. Knowing the least patrolled areas of the maps.

5. Luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Anarchtica
                              1. Their inventory (mine is one health, one invis, one catfall, one speed, four cheese,
                              Ditch the cheese, pick up two scouting orbs.

Originally posted by Anarchtica
                              three water arrows, two vine arrows, two flashbombs, one lickpick).
                              LMAO!

Comment

Working...
                              X