Thief on Windows 2000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thief on Windows 2000

Will Thief and Thief 2 run under Windows 2000? There's a little note on the box -- at least on the one I saw the other day -- that says not compatible with Windows XP. I tried installing it a long time by borrowing a friend's copy, but it wouldn't install, and I don't remember why. Anyone else have it working?
    Nearly all men can stand adversity -- if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.

Can't you run it in 95 compatibility mode?
    The only constant is change.
    (And I wouldn't have it any other way.)

Comment

Originally posted by CrouchingDork
      I doubt I have that. My Windows 2000 installation is fairly lightweight. And from the sound of it, it wouldn't run with hardware acceleration, which would be bad.
      Nearly all men can stand adversity -- if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkBill
        I doubt I have that. My Windows 2000 installation is fairly lightweight. And from the sound of it, it wouldn't run with hardware acceleration, which would be bad.
        I know that Thief Gold will run on WinXP under Win98 compatibility. I don't know about Win2K, though, nor do I know about Thief2.

Comment

Some people have problems with the Thief series and XP that they can't fix.

The install problem can be bypassed by running setup.exe -lgntforce where that first letter is an "L". It's trial and error for the compatability modes as the correct mode is not always consistant(sometimes it doesn't need to have compatability on).
          Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia, n. See also Irony.

Comment

Well... find out. Right click on the file, go to properties, and the click the compatibility tab.
            The only constant is change.
            (And I wouldn't have it any other way.)

Comment

Thief 2 runs fine on Win2k for me...

Comment

I know Thief 2 runs under 2000- don't know about the first one but they use pretty much the same engine, so it might.
                I'm cool!

Comment

Use -lgntforce to install, and if it's thief 1 make sure the refreshrate is set to 60 and vsync is on...

Comment

Originally posted by Master-Builder
                    if it's thief 1 make sure the refreshrate is set to 60 and vsync is on...
                    *cringe* Why?

Comment

Otherwise it may play a little to fast for you to handle... not to mention zombies walking at 10km/h just look plain silly.

Comment

Otherwise it may play a little to fast for you to handle... not to mention zombies walking at 10km/h just look plain silly.
                        Gah! These Looking Glass taffers that I've heard such praise of tied gamespeed to framerate? *cringes again*

Comment

?

i have windows xp and i run both TDP (original, not gold) and thief 2. it seems to me that xp is more stable than 98, which i used to run it on.
                          This is my cool sig.

Comment

Gah! These Looking Glass taffers that I've heard such praise of tied gamespeed to framerate? *cringes again*
                            This is actually a problem caused by faster systems and graphics cards, not Win2k or XP. In order to slow the gamespeed to normal, if you have this problem, turn all graphics settings on and to their highest settings (AA, AF, resolution). You may even have to underclock your graphics card.
                            No Linux, No Choice.
                            Know Linux, Know Choice.

Comment

Noo.... You just have to set the refreshrate to 60hz, and enable vsync. Automatically limits the game to 60fps which is what it should run at.

Comment

Working...
                              X