Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This is some of the most disturbing shit I have ever read...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is some of the most disturbing shit I have ever read...

This, my friends, is American freedom.

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/Print...701289,00.html Part One

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/Print...701285,00.html Part Two

Here's a good analysis on the article:

http://www.kuro5hin.org/comments/200...0/2720/261#261

'No, that wasn't normal. I would be doing the same thing all my life. I would never have got out of it.' Her friend Michelle believes, 'I'd be living on the streets now. And I think one of the biggest things I've learnt here is that everything happens for a reason. I came here for a reason. You see, I just wasn't meant to be living the life I was living. I wasn't meant to be homeless.'
    So who is?

So who is meant to be homeless? 'What?' She looks thrown, before putting the question aside.

'If my mom hadn't sent me here I would have died.'

That without Tranquility they would be dead is an article of faith among all the students.

I ask one how they would have died. 'What?'
    They have been turned into mindless Good American Children(TM)...

Minors in most countries have no rights. Think it's any different where you live? The difference is that in the US, some people have made a business out of it, but the basic premise is the same: Minors have no rights.

Comment

Originally posted by LaughingRat
      Minors in most countries have no rights. Think it's any different where you live? The difference is that in the US, some people have made a business out of it, but the basic premise is the same: Minors have no rights.
      Not that.

The fact that an american court ruling has approved of it is sick.

The fact that some people think it 'helps' thier children is sick.

Comment

Very much like the later sections of 1984... The wanker who runs it should be shot.
        Its fucking ridiculous that its legal over there...

Comment

Originally posted by Swiss Mercenary
          Not that.

The fact that an american court ruling has approved of it is sick.

The fact that some people think it 'helps' thier children is sick.
          The court ruling is merely upholding that basic premise: Minors have no rights. And what people think helps their children is always of controversy. Christian Scientist parents, for example, will refuse to take their children to a doctor, even when terminally, but treatably ill, because they feel that prayer alone will "help" their children.

Comment

Originally posted by act smiley
            Very much like the later sections of 1984... The wanker who runs it should be shot.
            Show a bunch of politicians a couple of $'s, and they will be doing tricks for you for the rest of your life...

Comment

Sorry, double post...

Comment

Originally posted by Swiss Mercenary
                Show a bunch of politicians a couple of $'s, and they will be doing tricks for you for the rest of your life...
                This was as true the first time you posted it as it was the second.

Comment

LaughingRat, the point isn't just that it is legal, its that it clearly shouldn't be, when a parent who did that to a child himself/herself would be arrested for child abuse.

Comment

LaughingRat, the point isn't just that it is legal, its that it clearly shouldn't be, when a parent who did that to a child himself/herself would be arrested for child abuse.
                    You may notice though, that this "re-education camp" is outside US jurisdiction. US law says that parents can do as tehy wish to their children, within certain limits. However, if what they themselves do to their children is within those limits, but the results fall outside US jurisdiction, US law can do nothing about it.

I'm honestly not trying to defend it. I think it's horrid. What I'm objecting to is painting is as somehow an exclusively US abomination, as Swiss has clearly done in his initial post. Other countries, including his own, have equally abominable laws concerning minors and their treatment.

Comment

That came damn close to making me sick.
                      Nearly all men can stand adversity -- if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.

Comment

Indeed, which is why it should be illegal to transfer rights to organisations located beyond the jurisdiction of the US (or wherever)...
                        Though that might create some other problems...
                        Its just disgusting that a bunch of loopholes can make this shit legal :x

Comment

Originally posted by DarkBill
                          This was news to you, eh? Not to me. I have a friend, a pagan friend, whose parents tried to have her abducted and "re-educated" when she was in her early twenties, even. Fortunately, she had legal ground to stand on, not being a minor, and her born-again Christian parents were thwarted.

Comment

Originally posted by LaughingRat
                            Originally posted by DarkBill
                            This was news to you, eh?
                            Not really. I've heard about like programs before, and know a couple people who've had experiences with them. That I already knew about it makes it no less sickening to read, though.
                            Nearly all men can stand adversity -- if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.

Comment

I was under the impression that soldiers are not completely brainwashed...

Yes, those children are not the type of people I would want to be around... However, reducing them to vegetables is still unacceptable.

I will also wonder when our society will put the blame on the children, and the parents... In this case, the blame is 100% on the children. In other cases, I see the blame being put 100% on the parents... Then, there are the cases when they blame it on the games...

Can't people bloody realise that all involved are responsible?

Oh, and IMHO, the fact that a country that claims to have so many 'liberties', and 'freedoms' has a judicial system that has no qualms about something like that is completely, and untterly pathetic. The fact that nothing is done to stop it happening to -their- children is, in my eyes support of those practices. "We don't want to look like pigs, so we won't do it in our country - we will just do it in another one" is a POS behaviour. (Even though every single bloody country would be guilty of that)...

As mentioned by someone, custody of a child should not be legal to be transferred to an organisation based in a country that lacks a human rights system...

Solutions: Well, as I mentioned, the parents are part of the problem. They were largely responsible in the early stages of development of a child. IMHO, nearly everything that is wrong with children under the age of 12, or so, can be attributed to bad parenting. Only past that age, do children begin to make 'their own' decisions.

Comment

Working...
                              X