Cable or DSL?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cable or DSL?

I need your opinions, since I've been 56k all my life, which one is better for gaming and downloads?Also, my mom wants to stick with earthlink(our current 56k provider) but I've been very unhappy with them.Does anyone have experience with Earthlink cable/DSL?Thanks.

My experiencewith cable was... unpleasant... but that was mostly a company specific problem. They didn't seem to be able to maintain the power levels in their local network, so typically about 3 times a year, I'd hit a period where I'd have large latencies, the kind that would make even an Aussie cringe. We're talking 4000-7000 range. No, that's not a typo.

Typically, you'll get higher download speeds with cable, but less upstream speed. That's great for most users, but if you're going to be doing frequent large uploads, or you ever want to run a server you'll find it limiting. In addition, you probably won't be able to use 1+ megabit of downstream bandwidth, as you'll be limited in connection speed by the server you're downloading from.

With DSL, you probably won't get as high a downstream speed as might be available with cable, but most likely, you'll get a higher upstream speed. Not much of a benefit unless, as I said, you're doing large uploads or planning on running a server. Your upstream speed will determine how many players can connect without lagging your server.

Either way, for gaming purposes, you don't need more than 256K downstream. No game on the market currently uses more than that.

Comment

Typical cable upstream is more than enough for the usual game playing and what-not. The best thing you can do is just ask the provider what upstreams and downstream plans they provide and for what price. Sit down with them, and decide what's best. And, unlike LR, my cable experience has been nothing short of fantastic, so I guess it depends on your ISP.

Comment

Having worked in the DSL market, I gotta say...Cable.

DSL will take AT LEAST a month to install, despite ANYTHING the company tells you.

Cable will be ready within days, especially if you already have Cable TV.

But just for fun. Figure out your max speed from DSL and find out what kind of connection you can get. If its over 768 and you can pay for it, it might be worthwhile.

Kiech
        www.thecrackaz.com
        Kiech

Comment

Yeah, like I'd said, my problem with cable was not a result of the technology, but of the local network not being properly maintained.

Comment

I don't like my earthlink 56K either.

That said, Comcast cable has been very good to me.

I haven't tried DSL.

I can't think of anything else to say...
            Garlisk's Fantasy Art Gallery
            www.usyetzer.com

Comment

My DSL's pretty good. Except for the damn bandwidth limit....
              The only constant is change.
              (And I wouldn't have it any other way.)

Comment

It depends on the local deals. Like in my particular area basic DSL is now $30/month at 1.5Mbps down/128Mbps up.
                BobTheDog says, "Now you've gone too far!"

Comment

Originally posted by CrouchingDork
                  Which version do you have, Dork, HSE or HSE Ultra? I have Ultra and 20 GB/month is more than enough.
                  Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia, n. See also Irony.

Comment

For gaming, DSL. Lower latency (ping) and usually higher upload speeds.

For downloading pr0n, Cable. Generally higher download speeds and latency isn't an issue.

DSL will take AT LEAST a month to install, despite ANYTHING the company tells you.
                    Not always true. I had mine in less than a week, but my ISP is my phone company so that makes a difference. Still, it may be worth the wait if you plan to play online games.
                    No Linux, No Choice.
                    Know Linux, Know Choice.

Comment

I've tried them both, and my DSL provider was my phone company. It was
                      a horror story. Cable has been just great for me.

But to be on the safe side check out www.dslreports.com and see if they
                      have any bad reports on the dsl provider you're thinking about using, then
                      decide.

Comment

Had cable (AT&T now Comcast) and had network dropouts at least once a week, got a better price deal for Verizon DSL so switched, and I've been very happy with it. Installation was pretty quick and extremely simple, price is good, speed and uptime good.

But the long and the short of it is that your local links will have a huge impact, especially on cable, and so one person's experience will be very different from another's. Don't crunch the numbers too much either, as that gives you very nice theoretical speeds, but the actual is probably going to be very different.

Best bet is to find someone (or several someones) in your area who has a broadband service, and see what their experience is like.
                        {CTG} Softy Guildmaster
                        Contact details updated
                        I want more than 255 characters in this sig dammit!

Comment

Originally posted by Salvage
                          Which version do you have, Dork, HSE or HSE Ultra? I have Ultra and 20 GB/month is more than enough.
                          I just have the normal.
                          The only constant is change.
                          (And I wouldn't have it any other way.)

Comment

I just have the normal.
                            Yuck, 10 GB is too restricting. When we had normal I had to watch the bandwidth very carefully, which sucked.
                            Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia, n. See also Irony.

Comment

Originally posted by Kiech Bepho
                              Having worked in the DSL market, I gotta say...Cable.

Cable will be ready within days, especially if you already have Cable TV.

But just for fun. Figure out your max speed from DSL and find out what kind of connection you can get. If its over 768 and you can pay for it, it might be worthwhile.
                              Nonsense. I had DSL functional the day it was ordered. It was about four hours from the call until the guy came, it took him about five minutes to wire the little DSL box, and then all I had to do was plug it in to the router.

At least in Blacksburg -- the middle of bloody nowhere -- I can get 1.5Mb+ DSL, for a fairly reasonable rate. Cheaper than cable in the same area, especially if you count in the cost of cable TV.

That said, my connection is 384kb downstream, and 384kb upstream. On Thievery servers, my ping is always between 50 and 150 -- even on servers in the UK. I have no bandwidth cap, and my pipe is dedicated. On the rare occasion I need to download huge files, I just do it overnight.
                              Nearly all men can stand adversity -- if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.

Comment

Working...
                              X