Pirates! comp game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pirates! comp game

I'm sure a few of you know of the very old Pirates game. I hear they are making a new one, but thats not what I want to ask about.

Do any of you know where I can get a Win95 version of Pirates (the old game), or if one even exists?
    Garlisk's Fantasy Art Gallery
    www.usyetzer.com

Originally posted by Garlisk
    I'm sure a few of you know of the very old Pirates game. I hear they are making a new one, but thats not what I want to ask about.

Do any of you know where I can get a Win95 version of Pirates (the old game), or if one even exists?
    Check abandonwarez sites, like the following...

www.the-underdogs.org/
    www.freeoldies.com/
    www.abandonwarering.com/

Depending on the popularity of the game, its also worth looking for it on eDonkey or Kazaa (or any p2p network).

Comment

According to the site, Sisu, you've given me exactly what i'm looking for.

Will check it out later, and thanks.
      www.usyetzer.com

Comment

does anyone else think it's kind of funny that you're talking about software piracy in a thread about a pirate game? *peers around*

ok, fine *goes to play ephemeral fantasia*
        ~*~Likita~*~

Comment

Originally posted by impulse
          Check abandonwarez sites, like the following...

www.the-underdogs.org/
          Please don't use "abandonwarez" and Underdogs in the same sentence. HOTU as a site has to with abandonware. "Abandonwarez", however, is most commonly used as a synonym for "oldwarez", which has absolutely nothing to do with the genuine abanodnware philosophy and is unanimously shunned and condemned by real abandonware people.

Comment

oooh... pedantics...

Comment

Plain and simple...there is no software piracy in what I'm doing.
              www.usyetzer.com

Comment

Why dont you get the pirate mod for battlefield

Comment

Originally posted by Yenzarill
                  oooh... pedantics...
                  With all due respect, Yenzarill, if I called your girlfriend a prostitute because she's sleeping with you, wouldn't you be quick in correcting me by stating that she's not doing it for money, hence it's not prostitution?

Comment

LoL, I'm havin a blast just looking at the HOTU site and all the old games.

And some not so old (Arx Fatalis was in there!!).
                    www.usyetzer.com

Comment

I haven't DLed any games from HOTU or the other sites. I was just looking at them, remembering those I could, and reading about those I hadn't heard of.

The game I did DL (Pirates II) was freeware.

Thanks for all the information you guys have provided tho.
                      www.usyetzer.com

Comment

Originally posted by Sisu
                        Ninety five years must pass before a copyright on these titles fades, last I checked there aren't any computer games that old.
                        I have a couple that old, but only because I ran them through a couple cycles on the ol' time machine.

Comment

Sisu, what you said is factually all true and I agree, but I think you're failing to make a certain distinction.

YES, abandonware, whatever definition you use for it, is exactly as illegal as warez, no argument there. However, there IS a dividing line betwenn "strict" abandonware and warez, along the lines of - for lack of better word - morality. Abandonware is is software the distributin of which, though illegal, causes no financial loss to the copyright holder (other than "lost product time"). Warez, however, does cause a direct loss of revenues.

Does this make one less illegal than the other? No. Does it make a moral difference? According to many, yes.

And yes, I'm aware that morality is not a concept recognized by law. However, it would take an extremely limited mind to suggest that complex and controversial issues can and should be look at from only one single perspective. (If you'll excuse the extreme parallel, it would be like condemning people for illegally hiding Jews during Nazi occupation.) Remember that "abandonware" is not a legally recognized term either, so you can't judge it from an exclusively legal viewpoint.

Comment

Sisu, I think we agree on some things and disagree on others, but the main difference is that we're putting the emphasis on different things. It's 1 AM, so I'll only answer in greater detail tomorrow.

Comment

Yeah I remember that old pirate game...

My version was called : Pirate! Gold for Windows.

We use to buy ships, get married, sink other's navy. Good old game.

But as usual, as the game get farther in my memory, the graphics gets better. It's always the same, when you play back a game, you tell yourself: What shitty graphics, it wasn't what I remembered of the game.
                              ------

------"

Comment

Working...
                              X