Entertainment is a ripoff!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Entertainment is a ripoff!

Think about it...how are you entertained? movies? music? games? paintball? sports? its all way overpriced...

Lets start with Movies. The actors in most movies are millionairs, they are famouse, and some are even music artists. They all charge twice as much as what should be payed for a film.

Music: Most music artists are rich and famouse, with little neccessary education for the job they do. Yet, these undereducated highschool graduates charge fifteen bucks an ablum, and even get more than their fair share of media time, and effort.

Games: This is an intresting one, because the only people who are ripping us off on these, are the people who make games for consols (forgive me ion storm ). Just go to Kmart and compare a pc game to an xbox, or playstation game, and i bet you will see that the consol game is almost twice as much as the pc game.

Paintball: i probably shouldn't even take the time out to go there, because everybody and thier brother knows that paintball is the biggest ripoff since bottled water . 30 bucks a head, when all it is is f*ckin paint!? CMON!

Sports: This is the one that makes me the most angry. Isn't it funny how baseball players get to make millions of dollars per year for doing somthing thats fun, and that they learned in highschool? Plus all the media attention these players get, it almost makes me physically ill.

So when it comes down to it, the reason why the entertainment buisness charges so much is because they know people will pay for it. So the measures ive taken to play my part in forcing them to lower prices is as follows...

#1 downloading, and burning every audio cd i want, and not paying a dime for music. #2 not owning, or buying any consol or game for that consol. #3 going to see movies in theatres only on rare occasions, and Making copies of rented videos i want to own. #4 breaking every paintball gun i use #5 not participating in live sport events.

entertainment: WHAT A DAMN RIPOFF!!!!!!
    "It is truly a shame that the guards must be kept from the very tools of thier proffesion, but such blatant misuse of gas arrows cannot be tolerated. Alas, that poor burrick..."

Originally posted by Thief13x
    Sports: This is the one that makes me the most angry. Isn't it funny how baseball players get to make millions of dollars per year for doing somthing thats fun, and that they learned in highschool? Plus all the media attention these players get, it almost makes me physically ill.

#1 downloading, and burning every audio cd i want, and not paying a dime for music. #2 not owning, or buying any consol or game for that consol. #3 going to see movies in theatres only on rare occasions, and Making copies of rented videos i want to own. #4 breaking every paintball gun i use #5 not participating in live sport events.
    i hate baseball...it's so damn boring and retarded i'd better be payed millions to play that shitty game.

now u say u are gonna force them to lower prices by doing that stuff...think man, if nobody bought cd's they would stop mkaing them eventually and they would become like classic antique items and their price would go up...if they don't sell enough tickets or something then they will jack up the prices so they can make the money they need/want...

i do agree it's all a rip-off but still...what can you do? NOTHING...well...nothing really...then again...
    http://profiles.myspace.com/users/7360475
    -=:ToB:=- / :]eDe[: Site: www.endarkend.net
    -=:ToB:=-Forums: www.endarkend.net/phpbb/
    -=:ToB:=-PayingSins (TUT MAP)- http://www.endarkend.net/downloads/m...oB_Payback.zip

Comment

Me:

Movies:
      Mostly flash movies from the net. Occasional visit to the theatre.

Music:
      Either from here, here or some game CD.

Games:
      Mostly freeware off the net. Occasinal visit to the game store.

Paintball:
      Nope.

Sports:
      Anything I can participate in without coughing up dough.

Seriously, it isn't that hard to keep yourself entertained, t'least not if you have the net.
      ]V[]V[

Comment

We'd be lost without mods for sure... they provide a nearly endless supply of free games provide you have the base version (like UT , I bought this one ; but a nice friend gave me his unused HL CD so I've been downloading mods nonstop since 1999) and are often even better than retail games (Operation Na Pali and Xidia were better than Unreal , TFC looks pathetic compared to Natural Selection...)

Demo freeware is nice too , you can play theses without uber experienced players and you generally get tired of them right as the commercial version comes out.

If you absolutely need commercial games , you really have to use peer2peer before the RIAA makes it collapse. This only works if you have a big HDD , a fast connection and a tolerant ISP...

Comment

Movies
          Downloaded, unless i think the creators deserve my money.

Music

Games

Sports
          I don't watch any TV. Any.

Playing Sports is a good form of entertainment though. I played footy for several years. (Real football, that is.)

Riding
          One of the best and cheapest forms of entertainment I have is riding my motorcycle.
          $4 AU gets me 150 km's, (93 miles) so it's very efficient and cheap entertainment.

I ride around the streets of my town, or take my bike out into the bush and have some off-road fun.

I don't think you should limit your view of "entertainment" to what is displayed on a cathode ray tube.
          (yeah yeah, or other type of VDU.)

Comment

Originally posted by Sisu
            Rinse and repeat ad nauseum the above steps until old age finally kills you.
            what's ad nauseum?

lol, timmy i think i have a new sig
            This is my cool sig.

Comment

#1 downloading, and burning every audio cd i want, and not paying a dime for music.
              This is not going to decrease the cost of CD's. Instead, it will increase them, as music companies seek to make the same or greater amount of money on decreased sales. Probably a counterproductive measure.

#2 not owning, or buying any consol or game for that consol.
              Fair enough, if you don't want to play those games. I've always thought a computer was the ultimate gaming machine anyway, not a console. Not going to decrease the costs, though.

#3 going to see movies in theatres only on rare occasions, and Making copies of rented videos i want to own.
              Again, not going to decrease costs, and the copying of rented videos is just going to drive costs up for the same reason as stated in #1. A better alternative would be to see movies in second-run theatres, as the prices are usually quite cheap, and it supports and improves the viability of these low-cost alternatives.

#4 breaking every paintball gun i use
              Paintball is the one point of yours I take serious issue with. The people that run these businesses are not usually raking in the cash. They have large overhead costs. They have to own and maintain large plots of land, and while a lot of that land is "undeveloped", the taxes on it are still substantial. In addition, the paintball guns they rent are not cheap. By damaging them, you're probably doing harm to precisely the kind of business you want to support, the small, locally owned business, if in fact all these things are an issue for you.

#5 not participating in live sport events.
              Pro sports suck. Complete waste of society's resources. Kudos on this one.

Comment

Originally posted by LaughingRat
                No, that's because you're a geek.

The only constant is change.
                (And I wouldn't have it any other way.)

Comment

Originally posted by CrouchingDork

I can see that a bunch of fools running at each other, with their real goal of beating the crap out of the guy with the ball, is a great thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Swiss Mercenary
                    I can see that a bunch of fools running at each other, with their real goal of beating the crap out of the guy with the ball, is a great thing.
                    Pffft, I don't play lacross, I play soccer. You CAN push in it, to a degree, but it's way more dependent on skill rather than toughness compared to hockey, football, lacross, rugby, etc. Not saying those sports don't require skill though.

Comment

No, that's because pro sports suck, and are a complete waste of society's resources. Amateur sports, played for love of the game and fitness, are a completely different matter. It's not sports I have an issue with. It's the whoring of sports I have an issue with.

Comment

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh. K.

Comment

LR you forgot drugs in pro sports, IMO what killed pro sports.
                          Feel the power of the

Comment

Ok, look at it this way :-

You see a movie, thats what? £5 over here (ish) so thats about $7 over there, and you get what? say 3 hours MAX out of that, not including the overpriced popcorn. However, I DO enjoy a trip to the cinima, can't beat the sound and picture at home! THEN i'll D/L the movie and watch it until the DVD comes out then I'll buy it, I dont resent paying for it, I resent WAITING for it.

Now, Unreal Tournament, I bought it when it came out, so £35, I've played it, I would estimate on average, about 70% of the days that have passed since that day, um... 4 years ago.... MUCH more lately because of TUT.... now I'm not a maths guru, but that definatly works out at less that £0.01 per hour...... damn good value for money i'd say..
                            ~TuF~

Comment

No, that's because pro sports suck, and are a complete waste of society's resources. Amateur sports, played for love of the game and fitness, are a completely different matter. It's not sports I have an issue with. It's the whoring of sports I have an issue with.
                              I agree wholeheartedly on that one. Pro-sports is ruining sports in my opinion,
                              after some of these athletes are playing Pro for a while all they think about
                              is how much thier next contract is gonna be, its sickening really.

Comment

Working...
                              X