Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Firebolts, firebolts everywhere, and not a drop of oil to...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firebolts, firebolts everywhere, and not a drop of oil to...

...spare.

I've pretty much had it. If firebolts will continue to be the ultimate-godly-lighting everything up killing machine, then YOU are going to have to live with it.

I will continually abuse my 8 firebolt loadout on every guard map, and a few thief maps to boot. If somebody here still doesn't think that firebolts need some rebalancing, I suggest that they thief against me.

Please feel free to bitch, and moan about my cheap tactics. I'd love to see the firebolt get the nerf as much as you do. Hopefully, with enough bitching, this will be changed, just as wakeup was introduced after there was enough bitching about DMing.

Hopefully, when people realise that we need a limit on firebolts, it will be implemented.

Oh, and, in case you were wondering my regular loadout has 1 firebolt. My trap loadout has none.

Originally posted by Sisu
    Firebolts are pretty annoying, but not really bad... unless abused to a large degree.
    I do not want firebolts to be removed. However, I do want either a: Cap of 1/2 firebolts, or, a change in how they work (Flames, flame damage, ect.), or a mix of both.

As of now, they can be clearly abused - just like I have demonstrated today.

Comment

I'd rather see the amount of time that your are lit up for decresed to only a couple of seconds.

It's the fact that firebolts illuminate you for so long that is the real pain, in my opinion.

Comment

I find the main problem is the sheer radius that the firebolt works in. Everything in a quite large radius is lit up, therefore a guard can firebolt you (you then water yourself and drink an invisability) and then fire-bolt again in the general area to light you up for a second time and so on...
        Anyway the issue has often been discussed at length, we just have to hope that they are tweaked in the next version of thievery.
        .: Daymaster - Mockers Thievery Guild :.

Comment

I'd rather a fire bolt that was more of an "explosive bolt".

WHAT FOLLOWS IS AN IDEA.

Firebolts Should:
          • Be loud and explosive sounding, like a UT rocket.
          • Flash and light up an area for an instant as they explode.
          • Force of the explosion should toss players a little. (not as much as a UT rocket).
          • Look like a bolt with a canister of some sort on the front.
          • Arc in flight.
          • Do more damage.
          • Light thieves and guards on fire for only 2 - 3 seconds. (maybe guards not at all).
          • Be limited to two.
          • Not illuminate areas as they fly past (firebolts give off light as they zoom past).

Thats what i always thought Firebolts should be like, anyway.

Comment

It sounds more like a grenade that way.

Stop whining folks, thieves win often enough. :roll:

Comment

Originally posted by Alpha-Omega
              It sounds more like a grenade that way.

Stop whining folks, thieves win often enough. :roll:
              Congratulations , you granted the thieves a few more days of frustration due to Swiss Mercenary's firespam.

Comment

You could try MortalMonkey's Firebolt mutator. It seems pretty good.
                Immortius' Forge

Comment

Swiss,

Saying your going to do something you yourself hate to prove a point reminds me of an interview I read with an online cheater who when on an aimbot spree, supposedly for the reason of proving that something needed to be done about online cheaters. In ethe end, he was still just a cheater, and a hypocrite to boot.

I don't think you'll find another guard in the game who takes an 8 firebolt loadout. Doing so yourself is not an accurate reflection of what you have had to face as a thief.

In any event, doing something specifically for the purpose of pissing off other players is called "raging", is exemplary of an extremely crappy attitude, and will earn you a ban if you do it on my server.

Comment

If i was playing against someone and they had eight firebolts I really wouldn't mind.

Comment

go on swiss mercenary do it on his server

Comment

I did it on a server once, it gave her a sore back.

Comment

As odd as this may sound, i really have never had a problem with firebolts. Even if somone does light me up, there is a default number of water arrows that come with the thief loadout...Its just never been a problem for me as a thief.

When i guard i buy 3 firebolts. Just enough to use so that when i see a thief, and know where he is, i can shoot a firebolt their and have a half decent chance of catching him. The nice thing about a burning thief is, that you can still make out the thief's location even when u just got flashed. I use this to my advantage alot...
                          "It is truly a shame that the guards must be kept from the very tools of thier proffesion, but such blatant misuse of gas arrows cannot be tolerated. Alas, that poor burrick..."

Comment

I have had guards with 8 firebolts after me. I'd say that was not fun. At all.

I do realise that I am at the edge of a line when I say this, but consider this:

At what point does shooting firebolts go from "A valid gameplay tactic" to raging? When it starts to piss someone off? When people leave because of it?

The problem with firespam is that it is a "Built-In gameplay tactic". I have gotten quite pissed several times at it. Does that make the firespammer a rager?

What if I haven't posted this, and would have simply began my firespam campaign? Would that suddenly make it "A gameplay style"?

In ian on-line game, we do not know the "Intent" of a tactic. The fact of the matter is, it is a "Tactic". The intent behind it is a highly arbitrary thing.

When the reason behind a lame tactic becomes justification, or reason to ban it, we get into a large grey area. To take it further, let's look at Diablo 1.

Duped items prevail there. You can find those cheated items in 90% of the games, lieing in town.

Will a cheater, decked out in his hacked gear, be any less of a cheater depending on his state of mind when he picked up the items - ie., claiming that he didn't know they were hacked?

The effect is the same. He is still a cheater. He is still ruining the game. However, if we look at the reasons for his actions, and not the actions themselve (Or a mix of both), he suddenly becomes a "justifiable cheater".

The problem is, while the cause may be different the effect is the same.

IF you institute a no-firebolt limit, I will obey it.

If you institute a no more then 1 firebolt per minute, I will obey it.

If you institute a rule that will require us to worship you every 5 minutes, I will obey it (Though I might bitch).

If you institue a rule that says: SWISSMERCENARY CANT FIRESPAM BECAUSE HE IS DOING IT TO PISS OTHERS OFF, that will go deeply in the grey area. I will obey it, but it will surely look completely ridicilous.

It's your server. I will obey the rules you set.

Added:

Originally posted by LaughingRat
                            Swiss,

Saying your going to do something you yourself hate to prove a point reminds me of an interview I read with an online cheater who when on an aimbot spree, supposedly for the reason of proving that something needed to be done about online cheaters. In ethe end, he was still just a cheater, and a hypocrite to boot.
                            But you are implying that when another guard takes up his 3/4/5/6 firebolt loadout out, it's OK, because they are not doing it to piss others off. In the end, it's still firespam.

Comment

If i were LaughingRat, I would append "SWISSMERCENARY CANT FIRESPAM BECAUSE HE IS DOING IT TO PISS OTHERS OFF" exactly like that, to the server rules, right now. 8)

But then again, i'm not LaughingRat.

Comment

Working...
                              X